Wash/clarify 1x/week. In between, just wet and style.
1) 1-2 drops dish soap to clarify 😱 (hey it works!)
I use any unscented, simple dish soap, like Planet, Seventh Generation, or Palmolive Pure & Clear. It's SLS with little else so it's strong and only a couple drops are plenty. Just massage into scalp and rinse. If I don't wash my scalp regularly, I lose more hair.
2) Homemade gelatin treatment. Only used after clarifying.
1 pkt unflavored gelatin (7.2 g)
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp vinegar (opt)
1 tsp coconut oil (opt)
Cover with plop for 10-30 min.
3) Any Suave Essential conditioner, used liberally. 😍
The conditioning agent is the best I've used on my hair (Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine). It's not natural but it's cheap and my hair loves it.
4) Homemade curl cream and gel to style. I wet my hair upside-down and apply the cream, brushing it through. Then I apply the gel and brush it through. Then I scrunch my hair, and pulse, all over.
Experimenting with recipes!
Current curl cream:
3 parts conditioner
2 part glycerin
1 part coconut oil
1 tsp xanthan gum or gelatin or combo
1/2 teaspoon magnesium sulfate
1 cup water
Some combination of above - still experimenting!
My favorite tips:
* Style hair upside-down and sopping wet.
* Only brush/comb when hair is wet and full of product. Never ever dry!
* Plop hair while washing, dressing, etc.
* Add gel at night and sleep while it dries. No need to wait hours for it to dry or scrunch out the crunch!
* Satin pillowcase and car headrest cover.