The Inauguration

curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Holey Moley, look at the size of that crowd!!!

Go Obama!!
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't believe how many people.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think this is an awesome day just like everyone else, but has anyone else heard about the Inaugural Ball costing $150 million dollars and said WTF?
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I keep getting all teary-eyed.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought the US was supposed to have separation or church and state so why did they just have a pastor doing a prayer?

Aretha Franklin's hat is awful.
    curlylaura wrote: »
    I thought the US was supposed to have separation or church and state so why did they just have a pastor doing a prayer?

People do argue about it, but there has always (to my knowldege) been some sort of Priest/Minister there to give a prayer

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I posted that same thought over on the politics board. I really dislike the prayers etc in the Senate/House and at things like this. I do not care what others do in private but I dislike the religion brought into politics alot!

In regards to Aretha Just be glad the girls are not hanging out like they usually are.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I've been reduced to a crying little *****, and I'm so proud of it.

I haven't felt this hopeful and happy and oh, so many other positive things - it's been so long.

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I haven't felt this hopeful and happy and oh, so many other positive things - it's been so long.

I agree. Now I want all the hubbub to stop and the work to start.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »

I agree. Now I want all the hubbub to stop and the work to start.

I guess that's tomorrow. :)

Or, for me, in one hour, lol.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    AprilnUtah wrote: »
    I think this is an awesome day just like everyone else, but has anyone else heard about the Inaugural Ball costing $150 million dollars and said WTF?

That's total cost of the days-long events. It's not all paid by taxpayer dollars (a lot of it is from fundraisers), and the events do pump a lot of money into the local and regional economies. Our economy is based on consumption. You don't object to boosting the economy, do you?
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    $150 million for this very significant and historic ceremony is nothing to be upset about, imo. These kinds of traditions don't come cheap when they're done right, and it's not like we do this often. What? 44 times now?

I loved the speech, both the optimism and the honesty in looking specifically at our wrong-headed policies and the consequences of them.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I was so moved by the ceremony and especially the speech. The speech was everything I hoped it would be. It's a great moment to be a student of rhetoric. There were echoes of Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, and JFK in the speech, but it also was overwhelmingly and authentically Obama.

I just posted this on Facebook, but I thought I'd post it here for any of you history and/or rhetoric buffs:

President Obama's Inaugural Address:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/20/obama.politics/index.html

President Obama's speech will go down in history as one of the greatest inaugural addresses, both for its historical importance and its eloquence. The media has been talking about how Obama and his advisers studied previous inaugural addresses (as many incoming presidents do), and keep talking about how it included allusions to Lincoln's Second Inaugural. I hear echoes of many of these great speeches - check them out for yourself and let me know what you think:

Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address:
    http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/jefinau1.asp

Abraham Lincoln's First Inaugural Address:
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/abrahamlincolninauguraladdress.htm

Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address:
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/abrahamlincolnsecondinauguraladdress.htm

Franklin Delano Roosevelt's First Inaugural Address:
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrfirstinaugural.html

John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address:
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jfkinaugural.htm
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users

Separation of Church and State meaning the state doesn't mandate an official church. Like with the Church of England. The COE's ultimate human authority was the monarch. There is no set church here like there now, and none of our leaders are or ever were leaders of a set church by merit of their state/royal position...as one never existed. It doesn't mean you can't give a nod to anything religious while in official state ceremony or even philosophically in debate, but you can't prohibit any line of thinking including disbelief or another religion from doing the same if the desire is there. All citizens are free to believe what they want and disbelieve what they want. It's still more popular to give a nod to Christian thinking so that's why those prayers were voiced. It's also still the traditional thing to do even though naturalism is gaining in popularity. Church and State are seperated in the sense originally intended.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh I kind of understand westcoastcurls. I just thought as this was a state event, anything religious/churchy would be kept out of it. I've not seen an inauguration before so it surprised me.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I missed it as I was at uni- so thank you for posting that up. I thought his speech was wonderful (although a little long).
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would like to say that despite all that's wrong, which for me, at this time, is a lot (work, broken engagement, freezing weather, etc.), I am very, very happy to be writing:

Yay, President Obama!:occasion7:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    obamasinauguration039.jpg

obamasinauguration030.jpg

obamasinauguration033.jpg
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Oh I kind of understand westcoastcurls. I just thought as this was a state event, anything religious/churchy would be kept out of it. I've not seen an inauguration before so it surprised me.

A lot of it is really traditional, so it's not out of the norm. I did think the prayers would have sounded a little more secular than they did though. It is a stately way to do things on the national stage given tradition and heritage. You'll see similar nods given on monuments in D.C. and in government chambers. California is considered a pretty liberal state and assembly and senate sessions are opened with a prayer...usually a pretty secular one, back in the day more of a Christian one, and sometimes prayers inspired by other faiths open it.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    What an incrediable moment.
    I feel great pride to have witnessed this historical day.
    And so happy to see someone who has my beliefs as our president.
  • DeljahDeljah Posts: 47Registered Users
    Did Aretha forget some of the word? I got lost in the histrionics.

I loved the ceremony overall!
    Deljah wrote: »
    Did Aretha forget some of the word? I got lost in the histrionics.

I loved the ceremony overall!

Aretha was "off". She was using all the histrionics and coloratura to try to hide the missed notes and words.

That's total cost of the days-long events. It's not all paid by taxpayer dollars (a lot of it is from fundraisers), and the events do pump a lot of money into the local and regional economies. Our economy is based on consumption. You don't object to boosting the economy, do you?

So the spin here is 'excessive government spending of taxpayer dollars' now means 'boosting the economy'?
    Somebody posted on another thread that the estimate is now $170 mil, with est. $50 mil of that being from fundraisers. That means the taxpayer is footing approx. $120 mil for this 3 day event. This doesn't hold a candle to any of Bush's crap, but that is excessive IMO by any account.
    April

So the spin here is 'excessive government spending of taxpayer dollars' now means 'boosting the economy'?
    Somebody posted on another thread that the estimate is now $170 mil, with est. $50 mil of that being from fundraisers. That means the taxpayer is footing approx. $120 mil for this 3 day event. This doesn't hold a candle to any of Bush's crap, but that is excessive IMO by any account.

Where are your numbers coming from? Just random internet postings? The "source" you got that $170 million from the Politics non-hair board, is often...um...dubious at best. When you get some solid numbers, come back and give the source, and I'd be happy to discuss them thoroughly. Until then...they seem like they're just coming out of your...well...
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users

Left hand on the Bible always during the swearing in.

Where are your numbers coming from? Just random internet postings? The "source" you got that $170 million from the Politics non-hair board, is often...um...dubious at best. When you get some solid numbers, come back and give the source, and I'd be happy to discuss them thoroughly. Until then...they seem like they're just coming out of your...well...

Last I checked Yahoo News, ABC News, and Associated Content were not up my ...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1388096/obama_inauguration_cost_estimated_to.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090117/ap_on_go_pr_wh/inauguration_spending

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1
    April

• poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users

A lot of it is really traditional, so it's not out of the norm. I did think the prayers would have sounded a little more secular than they did though. It is a stately way to do things on the national stage given tradition and heritage. You'll see similar nods given on monuments in D.C. and in government chambers. California is considered a pretty liberal state and assembly and senate sessions are opened with a prayer...usually a pretty secular one, back in the day more of a Christian one, and sometimes prayers inspired by other faiths open it.

Secular prayers? Huh?
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was there.....and my toes and fingers are still cursing me right now. LOL! The crowd was CRAZY! We obviously couldn't see how large it was being there, but seeing it on the screens.....Wow. But it was all love. Everyone was just in lifted spirits, despite the cold. The discomfort was worth it, although I had to leave because I was really close to hypothermia, and my girlfriend felt like she would have passed out if we stayed longer. That wouldn't have been good.

I felt bad for alot of the ticketed folks who didn't get to use their tickets. We met up with couples from all over...California. Illinois. Many stories of disorganization. Many folks traveled JUST to attend, because they had tickets and were relegated to listening to it on the car radio's of limo drivers. :( And not in the cars...just in passing. And the organization could have been MUCH better. But to the credit of D.C....all the planning in the world couldn't have prepared them for today. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I was there.....and my toes and fingers are still cursing me right now. LOL! The crowd was CRAZY! We obviously couldn't see how large it was being there, but seeing it on the screens.....Wow. But it was all love. Everyone was just in lifted spirits, despite the cold. The discomfort was worth it, although I had to leave because I was really close to hypothermia, and my girlfriend felt like she would have passed out if we stayed longer. That wouldn't have been good.

I felt bad for alot of the ticketed folks who didn't get to use their tickets. We met up with couples from all over...California. Illinois. Many stories of disorganization. Many folks traveled JUST to attend, because they had tickets and were relegated to listening to it on the car radio's of limo drivers. :( And not in the cars...just in passing. And the organization could have been MUCH better. But to the credit of D.C....all the planning in the world couldn't have prepared them for today. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.

Why didn't they get to use them?
    My husband and sis-in-law were in standing tickets and they were fine. They stood inline a long while though. And when he came home, he had purple toes! Sorry you almost had hypothermia!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
    I think a lot of people just couldn't get to the place where they could use the tickets. Several of the broadcasters related personal stories of having to walk 10-20 blocks because there was just no other way, even having to walk through road tunnels. I think if you didn't stay overnight within the city limits and get outside to your destination by 5am, you just didn't get where you wanted to go.

I'm glad my family decided not to go. We were going to take the train into the city early and not stay overnight, and I have a feeling we would have just been stuck unable to get into the city.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    poisonivy wrote: »

Left hand on the Bible always during the swearing in.

No, not always. Some have chosen not to have a Bible, or to use another text.

When my congressman, Keith Ellison, was sworn in, he placed his hand on a Koran.

The book — or no book at all — is chosen by the person being sworn in.

Similarly, "So help me God" is not an official part of the oath. It has become popular to say it at the end, but it is added by the oath-taker, completely at their own discretion.

These are personal choices of the office holders, and have nothing with our nation's bylaws.

It's just logical, really. Why would a non-Christian, for example, "solemnly swear" with their hand on the Bible? Makes no sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file