Please...Help me!

pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
OK..here i go..

I am so frustrated with my skin..I have all but given up ice cream, I drink a ton of water per day, practically given up ice cream and most dairy, I wash my face with gentle cleansers, I have given up products that contain salytic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy acids, change my pillow cases often,eat healthy, stopped taking my vitamins, I am not overly stressed, I get plenty of rest and.. yes I am regular (I know tmi)I have stopped everything that I do in an attempt to stop this.. So since my acne may be horomonal related...(I am 45) my skin is still breaking out like crazy. I don't mind one break out every now and then but as of today I have 10 breakouts and I am feeling another one I went to the health food store with my sister who is having the same problem, we're twins a lady said we should try a supplement to balance out horomonals. she recommended one.

Since my hours are severely cut down to 1 day..yes ladies I am working one day a week according to this week's schedule, I cannot afford to see a dermatologist at this time. If anyone is suffering from this what is your skin care regiment. Help please.

Thanks in advance for your answers...HELP ME

Comments

• shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! I have been going throught the same thing for a couple months now and it is really really hard!!! I've got quite a few posts on here if you look them up! I've even embarrassed myself and posted pics of the crap I'm going through!
    Growing up I never had issues w/ my skin. It was nearly "perfect". Then I found this site (for my curly hair) and realized it could help me better my skin as well. I took a big jump and tryed the OCM and loved it for a while....then all hell broke loose on my face!
    Mine is all around my jaw line basically. I did the PSF gentle cleansing castile w/ the SA but my skin didn't like it. Now I'm doing the Aveeno clear skin foaming wash and it's getting a little better. I think I need to order the SA from Diana Yvonne in stead of the PSF brand but I'm waiting a bit. I'm really just over this whole skin crap! It really has an effect on how you feel and how you interact w/ the world. I have a post telling a story about what a friend of mine went through and what "fixed" it all for her. I'm thinking about trying that out maybe. I think it has alot to do w/ our hormones going wacky. Sometimes it really really sucks to be a woman! Hopefully others can help you here on this forum. They are a great bunch of girls that are always there for advice even if it's just a little emotional support. I wish you the best. If you find any "fixes" please share them!
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Right there with you. I'm 32 with worse acne than when I was a teen. I haven't found a good combination to control it yet. The Aveeno clear skin foaming cleanser is on my list of things to try because neither PSF or Dianna Yvonne worked for me. They actually made my skin worse rather than better. But I am iffy because anything that is supposed to dry up the acne also drys my skin out and I flake. It's a catch 22. I either have breakouts and no flaking or dried up acne and lots of flakes.

At the moment the best I can do is not wear much of anything at all on my face. I have given up on foundation. They either break me out or I look like crap and I have tried them all (liquid, mineral, cream to powder, etc). So for now I only use a green concealer to even up and nothing else. It's no where near what I would like my face to look like but at the moment it's the only thing that doesn't make me worse. I wish I had more helpful info for you.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • VTmomVTmom Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Count me in and I'm 51. I had such a bad breakout about 5 weeks ago that I was embarrassed to leave the house...all over my chin and BAD. Sadly I had to go to work everyday so not leaving the house was not an option. I was beginning to think I had eczema or something, but I honestly think it was just horrendous acne. I have it just about cleared up now. I've come to the conclusion that the cleanser one uses is far more important than I ever knew. I've tried the ones touted here as well as many others. I'm now using CeraVe (VERY gentle) and my skin has finally calmed down. I'm like you RCC, I usually can't wear makeup because it accentuates flakes so much, but if I don't wear any, I'm ok (ugly, but ok, LOL!). With this cleanser, I'm also able to use my BHA (I use either DY's 2% or IFP's 5% BHA/10% AHA - I like them both) and differin without irritation. Good luck to all. I know just how you feel...does it ever end?

shannon, this is sooo true, "It really has an effect on how you feel and how you interact w/ the world."
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    I tried the OCM it worked for one week...then all hell broke loose. My sister's best friend has a regimen and I just emailed her..hopefully her method will work.

I was working the other day and I saw this handsome man who was trying to start a convo, I couldn't look him in the eye or flirt like I usually do. I need to find something fast.
  • maebytonightmaebytonight Posts: 6Registered Users
    I know how you feel, and based on what you described, it definitely sounds hormonal. Of course, where do you live? Sometimes it has to do with bad air quality. Either way, it's outside forces that you don't have much control over.

One thing that really helped me was bareminerals makeup. Not only did it actually cover up my acne, but my skin started to clear up. After years of struggling, I found a skincare regime that really works. I wash with an all-natural tea-tree oil soap bar (I highly recommend Biggs and Featherbelle, look them up!), exfoliate with Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Liquid, and moisturize with Olay moisturizer with SPF.

I hope any of that helped!
    2c/coarse/iii
    ^^Thanks..by the way I will look up the cleanser you recommended.

I am living in Florida and nothing is working for my complexion. I made a mask with the Aztec healing clay, that felt nice but I can't do that everyday.

My skin has never broken out this bad..I do remember whenI used the retinol a cream from Philosophy that worked really well. So I know I will definitley purchase that..
  • shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    I'm a Florida girl as well! Palm Coast. Maybe it's the water! :)
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Me too! West Coast Florida.

The only thing I will say about Bare Minerals if you are thinking about trying that is be careful because it has bismuth in it and has been known to make alot of people itch badly.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • VTmomVTmom Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's where I want to live. :home:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

The only thing I will say about Bare Minerals if you are thinking about trying that is be careful because it has bismuth in it and has been known to make alot of people itch badly.

Ewww! I am not looking forward to the itching...I wanted to try BE..I wonder if I could get samples...I may also try Pur Minerals..Will check into both.
    I think Pur has bismuth in it too unfortunately. Everyday Minerals, Meow Cosmetics and Aromaleigh Minerals do not and they all do samples. Or you can go into Sephora and have them try Bare Minerals on you and see what that does. I think maybe Ulta carries them too.
    Thanks..I am so disappointed about the bismuth in the Purminerals..On the way to Sephora..
  • xcptnlxcptnl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I had no idea about that ingredient when I tried Bare Minerals and could not understand why I was itching like crazy - it almost gave me a rash. But I do have very sensitive skin. I just stopped using it and read later on about the issue with bismuth for some people and went AH HA!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Curl Neophyte Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have similar problems. I didn't start breaking out til I was 25 and have been dealing with it for almost 5 years now. One thing that worked well on me was the Dr. Hauschka products because they have no chemicals. However, they are expensive. So I've switched to the OCM and am using sunflower oil and just a little bit of castor. It seems to be working, but sometimes it will seem good then it goes crazy. I tried using the BE, but it really made my face itch and burn.
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel
  • xcptnlxcptnl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Add me to the list of acne sufferers. I never had huge issues with my skin (normal in my teens) but once I got to my 20s - no problems, in my 30s and early 40s my skin was fantastic. Fast forward to 46 and YIKES. I have issues with sensitive skin and redness now and breakouts on my cheeks and neck (go figure!). I also tried Dianne Yvonne and PSF and neither worked for me. I then tried some over the counter products and way too drying or too moisturizing. I recently was using clinique redness solution cleanser and moisturizer with decent results and that made me realize that I definitely need the moisture. I also get flakes so makeup was actually making the issue look worse. I recently bought Murad Clarifying cleanser but I know I could not use all the product in that line because it would be too drying so I bought step 2 & 3 of the redness therapy collection. I bought these at Sephora and asked for step 2 of the acne collection as samples....she gave me 3 of them.

So, what I have been doing is using the face wash am and pm. In the am I then use step 2 and 3 of the redness therapy products. In the pm I use step 2 of the acne product (exfoliating acne treatment gel) only on the areas of my check that have breakouts. Then I put on the step 3 moisturizer of the redness therapy.

This has cleared up my cheeks alot!! The Sephora clerk also gave me a sample of the acne mask but to date I have not used that yet. I think by using the more moisturizing products of the redness therapy it has kept my face from getting irritated like it usually does with acne products.

These products were not cheap but I also don't have to use a lot. I have continued to use the moisturizer of the clinique redness products at night occassionally because it really moisturizes and does not make me break out.

Also, I liked the cleanser of the clinque redness products but felt I needed something that cleaned a bit more than this so that is why I purchased the murad cleanser.

I know this is long but wanted to share because I feel your frustration.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • jessfjessf Posts: 34Registered Users
    I am with you ladies. I just turned 39 and my skin has gone crazy recently. I had pretty good skin all of my life with only a few chin area pimples during my period but the past couple months I have constant breakouts on my chin. I just started using my husband's Proactive even though I know it is too drying for my sensitive, dry skin but I cannot take the breakouts. The proactive has helped the breakouts yet is too drying. I am going to hit Sephora this weekend and try some of the products you recommended. Hopefully something will work:-(
    Jess
    Upstate NY
    CG since 12/06/08
    3A/2C
    CO wash/Cond: V05 Vanilla Mint tea, L'Oreal Vive Nutri Gloss
    Leave In;GioDLI
    Still trying: HE Set me up gel,Jessicurl RR and CCSS, WDT, Plopping, duckbill clips & Pixie method diffusing
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file