am I doing this right?

makemewavymakemewavy Posts: 15Registered Users
I think I am a 2 (my mom has really curly, coarse hair so it might turn in to that?) my hair is definitely not fine, it straightens really well and also holds curl from a curling iron but that takes 1-2 hours and I want something I can do everyday.
I stopped using anything with sulfates and silicones (basically everything I own). Right now I am using Colorgen shampoo (I didn't see it on the product listings here) every day because I get really oily, and I did a baking soda/ACV rinse the other day with Dr Bonners organic conditioning rinse and then put on Dr Bonners Organic hair creme and Giovanni sunset lotion and scrunched/plopped my hair. I haven't had time to plop my hair as long as I want to yet but I plan on doing a lot of experimenting over Christmas break.
I also don't have a diffuser that fits my blow dryer now, so I am looking to get one. Should I get a sock one for my current dryer or get a new dryer with a bowl diffuser? Does anyone have a good hair dryer rec?
The results I'm getting are poofy, triangle shaped hair (it may be my cut) that frizzes. I live in Florida so there is ALWAYS moisture in my hair.
I just feel completely overwhelmed and I just want to straighten it! At the same time I want to love the hair I have but it's not working with what I'm doing. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

(PS I also have colored my hair A LOT, but my stylist says it's in good condition because I was good about doing a lot of deep treatment. Could it be that I have to wait for new growth to see results? Say it ain't so!)
2b/c(?)/m/iii

Comments

• makemewavymakemewavy Posts: 15Registered Users
    Also what is the difference between CO and co-wash? Thanks!
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

• LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    hi there!

i'm not sure whether the dye job would affect your curling that much as long as your hair is well-conditioned.

the frizz issue may be a the styling products you're using...they may not have enough hold for you, or there may be some ingredient in them that your hair doesn't like. i'm not familiar with the dr bronner's or the GD sunset lotion, so i don't know what kind of clumping (making curls stick together) or hold (keeping curls curled) they give you, if any.

and CO is generally short for conditioner, and co-wash is conditioner-wash, which refers to the conditioner used in place of shampoo in the CG (curly-girl) method.

HTH!
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
    ps - did you make sure to do a final clarifying with a silicone-free sulfate shampoo before you started avoiding sulfates and cones? if not you might also be suffering from cones that were still on your hair from before. those would need to be cleared off before your hair can really start benefiting from the CG method.
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
    so I'm just in for a lot of trial and error? I don't think I'm ready to give up on what I bought yet, I guess I just have to try some different combos, I also found some gels and sprays that I used before CG that are sulfate/cone free so that's good news.

By final clarifying do you mean the baking soda/ACV treatment? I did that once but the conditioner I used was dr bonners and I had to mix it with water to dilute it so maybe I need a "real" conditioner. I saw VO5 strawberry on here so I'll probably get that to try for the next one.

So a co-wash is the "shampoo"? I'm using a shampoo that's sulfate/silicone free in place of regular shampoo but I'm afraid to put real conditioner on my roots. I'm still a little confused by the difference in those two.

But thanks for all your help! You've definitely clarified a lot :)
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

yes, unless you are extremely lucky you are probably in for some trial and error. :) hopefully not too much though!

by clarify I meant did you use a silicone-free sulfate shampoo to start with? the purpose of that is to remove any cones that might have built up on your hair in products or conditioners you were using prior to go CG or mod-CG. otherwise, you might have cones clinging to your hair blocking moisture OUT. no bueno. this doesn't have to be a fancy shampoo, especially since you won't need it again (unless you later need to wash out cones again). a lot of people have used the suave naturals shampoo. i used the v05 tea therapy. just make sure to read the label to make sure there are no cones, and that it has one of the harsher sulfates like ALS or SLS (ammonium laureth sulfate and sodium laurel sulfate I *think* are the full names).

a co-wash is washing with conditioner. the condish is actually there more to lube up your hair so you can easily move it around (the friction between your fingers and scalp is actually what's removing the dirt) and as something for the loosened dirt and oil to cling to and get rinsed out with.

what you are doing would be considered a modified-CG method, which is to use a low-poo (cone free silicone free shampoo). some people find that works better for them...certainly it's much better for your hair than cones and sulfates!

hope that clarified things a bit more...keep asking questions if you need to! us curlies are all in this together!
    I used a sulfate free shampoo for about two days before I did the baking soda/ACV treatment. But not a silicone free sulfate shampoo. I guess I should try that.
    Modified CG does sound better for my hair, just because I have such oily hair. Like have to wash everyday before CG oily hair. At least to ease the transition to CG.
    One more question, what does it mean in your siggy after the 3a part? I've seen a bunch of iii's and other letters that I don't know what are for.
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

definitely try the sulfate shampoo. like i said, something cheap and easily available will be fine--if you're going to spend more money it would be better put toward nice conditioners or styling products. :)

it may be that half the oily problem is that your hair still has cone build-up in it. but again a lot of us prefer to use a low-poo sometimes.

when you see a marker like that in someone's signature it's their hair type according to the fia system, which doesn't always correspond to the typing system listed on naturally curly (but sometimes it does). a lot of people use the fia because it's a continuum of curliness, rather than big groups that leave a lot of room for confusion, and because it incorporates the thickness of your individual hairs (fine/med/coarse) and how thick your hair as one entity is (i/ii/iii).

Here's a link to the fia system: http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html

and here's a link to the one NC.com lists: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

here's also a link to Struttswife's page, which has a slightly different (but I think very valid) perspective on how you should "type" your hair that has nothing to do with curl pattern: http://livecurlylivefree.com
    I'm going to get the VO5 stuff tomorrow :) I'm getting my mom to try it too since I'm less confused now. My hair actually looked better today since I had time to plop it and I found a diffuser at my mom's house.
    I think I like the fia categorization better, it describes my hair better I think. And I really like the livecurlylive free site, that's where I got all my product info when I was buying the sulfate/cone free stuff. Its got it all condensed in one place.

Thank you so so SO much!
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Curl Neophyte Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is trial and error but it doesn't have to be so bad. Here are a few tips for mod-CG (like me). I also have very oily hair. It was only after going CG that I can go one day without washing. If you can't give up your poo then put your conditioner on all your ends first, only use low-poo on your scalp where you are oily, not all your hair, then rinse. The conditioner will protect your ends from the shampoo. I do that every 2 to 3 days and co-wash the rest (washing with just conditioner). I also use a light leave-in for added moisture as I get frizzy without one. As far as a diffuser goes I had one that I wasn't happy with, the bowl was too shallow, but I hated to go spend a bunch of money on one. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought a ConairPro universal diffuser attachment. It cost less than $5 and fit on my dryer great (not Conair by the way). I'm having good results with it so far. I use the pixiecurl method to diffuse until I'm about 80% dry and let the rest airdry as the dryer gives me the frizzies if I dry all the way. Make sure your hair isn't blowing around or moving during diffusing. I'm finding that plopping times and proper diffusing are making more of a difference than trying tons of products (although I do that too because it's fun). 4 months later I'm still not where I want to be with my hair but the experimenting has been more fun than a pain and I'm learning so much more about my hair and how to treat it than when I straightened it every day. Good luck experimenting!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

The conditioner on the length things sounds like it would work for me, I will definitely try that. I hope I can get to the point where I don't have to use poo.
    What's pixiecurl? Diffusing til it's almost dry? That's a new one to me haha I've heard of plopping and pineapples but not that.
    I agree, the experimenting is a lot of fun. I found a good combo today, but I'm going to keep trying til I find something I love! (Then I will still keep experimenting;) )
    You said you used to straighten every day, do you ever straighten now? I used to a lot for going out type of look but I'm not sure if it will look the way I like with out all the silicone-packed products I used to use.
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

pixiecurl method of diffusing is one a lot of people here like to use. it works with a bowl diffuser:

with the hair dryer OFF, cup a family of curls into your diffuser and put the diffuser to your scalp. this kind of holds the curls scrunched.

turn on the heat for 1 minute while keeping the diffuser in place (recommendations for the setting go from low heat, low fan to high heat, low fan to low heat, high fan...personally i think the most important part is the low fan, because you want your hair blowing as little as possible)

turn the heat off and release the hair from the diffuser.

move to a different section of hair and repeat.

most people will say to diffuse until your hair is like 80% dry but to let it air-dry the rest of the way...the right balance varies from person to person.

PS - glad you've found a basic routine already! that's great!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Curl Neophyte Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Leigh is right about the diffusing. It is really experimenting and what works for you.
    In the summer I don't diffuse at all and air dry. But in the winter it takes too long for my hair to air dry so I diffuse. It's finding the right combo that works for your hair. If I diffuse until fully dry my hair gets too frizzy as does most curlies around here. I don't know exactly where but if you go to the general discussion forum and go back a bit you can find a lot on the pixiecurl method. There might even be video.

As far as straightening goes I don't anymore at all. Since going CG I used a blowdryer and round brush to straighten once and it was awful because of all the natural curl my hair had found since CG. It took 45 minutes and was still big and frizzy and had bumps. Mind you this was how I normally straightened my hair for YEARS. I used a straightener (it's a $200 straightener) on Halloween as I wanted my hair to look a certain way with my costume and, while it looked great that night, it took my waves and curls over a week to recover. Since then I've been using clips and headbands to dress up my hair to go out as I love my hair too much now to do that to it. I did see a thread in the 2s about this though so you should check it out. That was just my experience. But I started as you did, wanting to bring out my waves so I didn't have to work so hard and now I have 2b/c waves that keep getting better!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

i tried diffusing that way today (well almost, i used only low and medium heat cause my dryer gets ridiculously hot). it worked so well! my hair is about 3 inches shorter though. :/ but it looks natural, not like forced waves.
    i also went to buy the vo5 you recommended but the store didn't have tea tree so i got tangerine or something. and i just use that once, right? to get the old cones out?

Jess, you just made me never want to straighten my hair again! I bought some antique-y barrettes today to try and dress up my hair without straightening it from now on. it seems like a waste to mess up all my hard work now.
    2b/c(?)/m/iii

on the sulfate shampoo, yes, you just need to use that one the once, unless you put more cones on your hair (either by accident or on purpose, if you ever do decide to straighten and want flat-iron heat protection or something). for any build-up you might get from CG-friendly products (like PEG-cones which are supposedly water-soluble or some oils or some polyquats--note that all of these are only a problem for SOME people) a low-poo like you said you'd been using should be enough to get them out.

and barettes, especially nice ones, can be a very elegant way to style wavy/curly hair.

so glad you're liking your natural style! enjoy!
    I'm glad the pixiecurl method worked so well for you. It has been my lifesaver this winter. Yay that you are learning to love your hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file