Illinois governor arrested...

Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
He tried to sell Obama's Senate seat.
Obama's Senate seat! Can you believe that mess? The big question is how soon Obama will get the blame for it? I'm sure by now that between Faux News, Limbaugh et al, the conservative blogs will it all squarely at Obama's feet. I won't name names, but I'm sure some will start to feel better and show up here.

ETA: There must be something in the water in the governor's mansion in IL. The governor before this dude is in prison for corruption. Perhaps they can share the same cell. Thank goodness though for bipartisanship. Ryan (the former gov) is a Rep; the current guy is a Dem.

Comments

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Obama's Senate seat! Can you believe that mess? The big question is how soon Obama will get the blame for it? I'm sure by now that between Faux News, Limbaugh et al, the conservative blogs will it all squarely at Obama's feet. I won't name names, but I'm sure some will start to feel better and show up here.

ETA: There must be something in the water in the governor's mansion in IL. The governor before this dude is in prison for corruption. Perhaps they can share the same cell. Thank goodness though for bipartisanship. Ryan (the former gov) is a Rep; the current guy is a Dem.

If by "better" you mean "unduly smug," then yeah, I think you're right.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    wow. having lived in chicago, all i can say is, that is so old school-chicago. of course, the man's innocent until proven otherwise, but dayum.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    He's either unbelievably cocky or unbelievably stupid. He knew he was being investigated for other things, yet he's stupid enough to have these phone conversations.

Bye, bye, Blago. I'm hoping GWB doesn't commute George Ryan's sentence. Maybe these two can share a cell.

George Ryan was the lesser of the two evil when he was elected.

As for Blajojevich, I never voted for him. Something about him has always seemed shady. His first mistake was to piss of dear ol' FIL Dick Mell. The old man has been around the block quite a few times. Had he stayed in his good graces, he might not be where he is today.

I would so love for Patrick Fitzgerald to go after Richard Daley next. Unfortunately I think Daley has insulated himself really good. They've been trying to get dirt on him for years but haven't gotten anything solid.

As for Obama. Seriously, I'm praying we haven't misjudged him. I'm hoping he is a good decent man. Above taking bribes. I still don't like how he turned his back on his church when things got rough. Still I think he was the lesser of the two evils when it came to him vs. McCain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
    wow. having lived in chicago, all i can say is, that is so old school-chicago. of course, the man's innocent until proven otherwise, but dayum.

Problem is I think his own words will convict him.

Bl
    agojevich considered appointing himself. The affidavit said that as late as Nov. 3, he told his deputy governor that if "they're not going to offer me anything of value I might as well take it." "I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain," Blagojevich allegedly said later that day, according to the affidavit, which also quoted him as saying in a remark punctuated by profanity that the seat was "a valuable thing — you just don't give it away for nothing."
    "I want to make money," the affidavit quotes him as saying in one conversation.

I know we shouldn't wish bad on others but honestly I hope his ass is locked up. Not having lived outside of Chicago, I don't know how bad our corruption is compared to other places. But in this state, in my county and in my city, the corruption is so damn in your face. I don't get how these people haven't been indicted sooner.

Malcolm X
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    They haven't been indicted sooner probably because of the good ol boy network. They turn their heads away with a wink. Has there ever been a time when there wasn't corruption in Chicago?
    It's funnny that just yesterday Blago was saying he had nothing to hide, he knew he was being watched and recorded and they'd have nothing on him.
    I don't see how anyone can put this back to Obama; it isn't up to him who gets the seat and I don't see how he'd benefit. Blago would have appointed another Dem.

I hope he's right next to Ryan, too. I really hope GWB doesn't let Ryan out early. The arguments that he's paid enough, let him live out his life fall flat when one remembers the impetus for that whole licenses for bribes was 6 children burning to death because of his greed.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    YolyC wrote: »

Problem is I think his own words will convict him.

you may be right about that. i read excerpts from the wiretapping. yikes. reminds me of a trial i covered there back in the '80s with some state senator. the guy was completely in bed with the mafia, and it was all on tape.

i've lived mostly outside chicago, but i spent 10 years there. to me, chicago politics are like no other city....
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »

I don't see why or how Obama would be blamed for this. He had nothing to do with someone replacing him.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    What an unbelievable mess.

I hope he's right next to Ryan, too. I really hope GWB doesn't let Ryan out early. The arguments that he's paid enough, let him live out his life fall flat when one remembers the impetus for that whole licenses for bribes was 6 children burning to death because of his greed.

I've always liked Dick Durbin, but four years from now I will remember what he's doing. For him to write GWB on behalf of Ryan's wife is an insult to his constituents. It pisses me off that our tax dollars paid for that trial and now he just wants it commuted because the poor wife is suffering. Ryan put all our lives in danger by selling those licenses. His "poor" wife benefited from his greed just as much as he did. She knew the consequences.

I'm one of these voters who remembers when my politicans go against my wishes. I take it to the voting booth with me the next time they're up for re-election.

Malcolm X
  • munchkinmunchkin Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This man is an idiot. . . and arrogant. . . and an idiot!!

Explain this to me. I heard on the news that Obama said he (the governor) doesn't have to resign but he should step down. What is the difference?
    3b/c
    munchkin wrote: »
    This man is an idiot. . . and arrogant. . . and an idiot!!

Explain this to me. I heard on the news that Obama said he (the governor) doesn't have to resign but he should step down. What is the difference?

Legally, he doesn't have to. Obama is saying he should because it would be the best thing for this state.

Seriously, the corruption in this state is disgusting. Local and state wide it's really disheartening when you go to the voting booth knowing the candidate of your choice has no chance in hell of winning an election because the other guy is openly in cahoots with the big boys.

Malcolm X
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Curl Neophyte Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In the car, I was listening to some talk show on Fox News (XM radio). I don't know the name of the show. I like flipping stations a lot when I'm in the car...I get bored easily. The talk show host was trying to blame Obama for this mess. It went along the lines that Illinois has corrupt politicians; the governor is corrupt; Obama is from Illinois and has met the governor, ergo Obama is to blame.
    I turned stations. It was too much logical inconsistencies for my educated brain to wrap around.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file