Philosophy Products

pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
Does anyone use this cosmetic line?

What kind of skin do you have?

Did your skin become better or worse since using this line?

What are your favorites?

My best friend and I were talking and I told her my skin is no longer responding to Clinique and I said my skin is looking horrible. Well she said that she has been using Philosphy skin care and she swears her skin looks the best it has ever looked in her life. I read some reviews and there were a few naysayers..

My skin has turned really..shall we say "schizophrenic" I have changed my diet and have done every thing humanly possible to get it to turn around. I change my pillow case every night. I am 45 and this is seriously messing with my confidence.

Please respond. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I have oily-combo skin that tends to get dehydrated in cold weather. I tried several Philosophy products a few years ago. For the most part they didn't impress me, although I did like the "1-minute daily facial" called The Great Mystery.

The Purity cleanser left my face kind of tight. But overall I would say the products made my skin neither better nor worse. I guess it's like a lot of skin care brands: works for some people but not for others. ...

You and I are about the same age, so I hope you won't be offended by my question: Do you think your problems might be hormonal?
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Registered Users Posts: 248
    ^^^My twin and I have the same skin problems...I think the breakouts are horomonal..Wondering what can be done about this..My skin looked really nice up until september..
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    I LOVE Philosophy skin care products!!

I have oily acne prone skin and my breakouts have vanished since using this. Since I used to get really bad breakouts, I was having some issues with hyperpigmentation, and this line cleared it up as well.

Here are the products I have used and recommend

The present: clear makeup (its more of a primer, but it sucks up all the oil from my face leaving in looking almost airbrushed). If you wear makeup, its the perfect first step.
    On a clear day cleanser
    Help Me (a retnoil cream for night use)
    Pigment of my imagination (a moisturizer that has kajonic acid to help with minor pigmentation issues)
    Oxygen Peel System
    Hope in a Bottle (moisturizer for oily skin, contains gycolic acid)
    Hope in a Jar (moisturizer for all skin types)

If you are not sure about the products, go to Nordstroms and they will make you a few samples to try for a feww days to see if you like them and how your skin responds!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • emilyjemilyj Registered Users Posts: 65
    I have oily, acne-prone skin also, and I have had success with some of the Philosophy products. I LOVE Hope In a Jar, I think it is a great moisturizer and it makes my skin actually *glow*. I also had success with On a Clear Day and the Purity Made Simple *foaming* cleanser. The latter is also a good one step cleanser if, like me, you're too lazy to use an eye makeup remover before cleansing. I CANNOT use the regular Purity cleanser, that was way too oily for my skin and made me break out like CRAZY. When Hope is not Enough is a good moisturizer, too. I'm only 31 and I haven't spent a lot of time in the sun, so I don't need to use it that much (it is more for mature and/or damaged skin), but it has some ingredients in it that I read on an acne message board are really good for taking care of breakouts. Hope in a Bottle just dried out my skin (I guess that's how it gets rid of the acne?) and didn't provide any moisturizing benefits - not crazy about it. I also have some under eye creams for my dark circles from Philosophy that I'm on the fence about; I can't really tell if they're making any kind of difference. So, take from all that what you will, but I would definitely recommend the Hope in a Jar for almost anyone. It is $38, but you only have to use about a fingertip sized amount each time, so I think it's a pretty good value.
    3a/b, with looser curls at the top and some little corkscrews at the ends.
    Semi-CG: No sulfates or 'cones; still unsure about proteins.
    HG's: AOHR and MOP-C for sure! Still searching for the perfect gel. :tongue5:
    Loving the Curl-Ease towel! :smurfin:

event.png
    Thanks for the responses...anymore?

I am going to go to Nordstroms and/or sephora to see if I can get some samples.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181

I have oily acne-prone skin with pores that get clogged really easy, and it gets really dry/sensitive if I use "regular" acne products, and also in cold weather.

I use the Purity cleanser, and sometimes the On a Clear Day Cleanser and/or exfoliating cleanser. I use Hope in a Jar as a moisturizer, and also the On a Clear Day H2O2 moisturizer/treatment.

However, I also use other things as well. I find I can't use the same routine every day--I just gotta use whatever it is that my face needs. Sometimes some heavy-duty exfoliation, sometimes some gentle cleansing, sometimes some acne treatment, sometimes a good moisturizer.

My skin has never looked better. And I find that this line is cheaper than some others. :-)
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    The last time I was in Nordstroms at the Philosophy counter and the guy told me to try mixing the purity made simple cleanser with the microdermibrasion (sp?) cleaner if the purity is too moisturizing for your skin. I have really sensitive skin and most OTC scrubs make my skin feel raw and then it breaks out MORE. He said that these two together would be good for oily skin...you get gentle exfoliation, but it doesn't completely strip your skin. I'm going to get the small sizes of these two products and give that a try and see how it works out.

12459237.png
    Nappy_curly_crown, if you like the Purity Made Simple other than the possible over-moisturizing factor, and you don't want to buy two different products, I would suggest the Purity foaming cleanser. Of course, if you use the Microdermabrasion cleanser anyway, and it won't hurt your pocketbook, it sounds like a good thing to try. I just got a Clarisonic skincare brush, so I don't think I need more exfoliating, but that seems like a good thing to try.

event.png
    emilyj wrote: »
    Nappy_curly_crown, if you like the Purity Made Simple other than the possible over-moisturizing factor, and you don't want to buy two different products, I would suggest the Purity foaming cleanser. Of course, if you use the Microdermabrasion cleanser anyway, and it won't hurt your pocketbook, it sounds like a good thing to try. I just got a Clarisonic skincare brush, so I don't think I need more exfoliating, but that seems like a good thing to try.

OHHHHH I've been eyeing one of those....they have them on QVC on flex pay!!! How do you like it? Is it rough on your skin?

12459237.png
    OHHHHH I've been eyeing one of those....they have them on QVC on flex pay!!! How do you like it? Is it rough on your skin?
    I've only had it about a week and a half, but so far I really like it. I got mine on QVC and the nice thing about their deal (aside from the Easy Pay) as opposed to others, is that you get a "delicate" brush head, not just normal and sensitive. The "sensitive" brush is still a little rough for me, but the delicate is perfect. I haven't heard from one person yet who didn't love theirs, so when it went on Easy Pay that kind of convinced me. There is a thread on here devoted strictly to reviews of the Clarisonic, too.

event.png
    Who Me? wrote: »

I have oily acne-prone skin with pores that get clogged really easy, and it gets really dry/sensitive if I use "regular" acne products, and also in cold weather.

I use the Purity cleanser, and sometimes the On a Clear Day Cleanser and/or exfoliating cleanser. I use Hope in a Jar as a moisturizer, and also the On a Clear Day H2O2 moisturizer/treatment.

However, I also use other things as well. I find I can't use the same routine every day--I just gotta use whatever it is that my face needs. Sometimes some heavy-duty exfoliation, sometimes some gentle cleansing, sometimes some acne treatment, sometimes a good moisturizer.

My skin has never looked better. And I find that this line is cheaper than some others. :-)

I cannot use the same routine all of the time either...I am glad that I am not the only one!

I read on another website that if you use the clarisonic with the foaming cleanser by Philosophy it works really well.

A clarisonic is a bit much for my budget now, I am using the healthy skin rejuevenator from neutrogena and my sister is using the generic clarisonic from sally's beauty supply.
  • KimbercurlyKimbercurly Registered Users Posts: 31
    I got a package of their best sellers because a friend of ine was gushing over their products. I was really excited to try them. Unfortunatly the hope in a jar and purity facewash seemsed to overhydrate my face and it broke out like crazy :(
    Their body wash can also be used as a shampoo (I wonder if it has sulfur in it?) and that made my skin feel super soft.
    I wasn't impressed with the smell of the amazing grace and pure grace perfumes.
    I do, however, like their hope in a tube for the eye and lip area.
    Oh yeah, and their microdermabrasion stuff made my skin baby soft.
    Overall I don't think their stuff was worth the price, but apparently a lot of people love it.
  • curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Registered Users Posts: 320
    i like philosophy but product recs can be tricky. i love purity cleanser but thats all i use

what r your concerns? is it acne? what is your skin type?

i am 30 and am getting adult cystic acne. not cute. sometimes less is more so i have simplified my routine to OCM, a lil more oil as a serum and sunscren. I exfoliate as needed. maybe your skin is reacting to too many products/harsh ing.

drink more water and try a hair/skin/nail vit from gnc. hth
    The 411:
    Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
    Poo:100% African Black Soap
    DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
    Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
    Homemade Hair Cream

Please visit my blog: [URL="http://www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com:wav:"]www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com[/URL]
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    I've been using the $78 Makeup Optional kit for about 4 days now. I will use it up and see how my skin looks in a month. So far, so good though. I also got a Clarisonic, which just arrived in the mail yesterday. Obviously, I have no idea how that works yet.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file