any other 3a-ers growing out?

Comments

• JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I'm trying to grow my hair out as well! And I actually haven't gotten my haircut since october...which yes, seems like too long, but I saw my hairdresser in the beginning of april and she said it was still in wonderful shape and I didn't need a trim. I'm just getting so impatient waiting for it to grow! ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • miacurlmiacurl Posts: 332Registered Users
    I have been using a supplement called Hair, Skin and Nails. It is by Andrew Lessman at www.hsn.com . It has MSM and biotin and some other things in there. It has improved the growth rate considerably.
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
  • TropicalCurlsTropicalCurls Posts: 12Registered Users
    So, I am getting absolutely FED UP with my hair. It is driving me CRAZYYYY. I've only had 2 haircuts in the past year, the most recent one being in January sometime, and before that it was last June. My hair's down to a few inches past BSL when straight, and right above it when curly, but it's just annoying.

I don't have the patience to spend a lot of time on it, so my normal routine consists of washing at night, scrunching with a towel, and going to bed with it laid across my pillow. Then, in the morning I either put it up or add a tiny bit of gel and just leave it down. I really am at a loss as to what to do, because by the end of the day if i wear it down it just looks like crap (frizzy, undefined), and i end up with a ponytail no matter what. I know the problem isn't damage, because I rarely heat style (maybe a few times a month) and I only shampoo a few times a week. Also, while it might seem that more product could help, then I just end up with producty AND frizzy looking, undefined hair.

At this point I'm seriously considering chopping off 5 or 6 inches. There are only a few things holding me back..
    1.) i wanted to grow it out enough to cut off 10 inches for lockes of love, but that would mean a little bit past chin length hair (im short so 10 inches is a LOT)
    2.) senior pictures are in 2 weeks.. I knew I wanted long hair for prom, and that was last weekend, but I kind of want to get it cut before this, since it doesn't look good right now anyway.

So what do you all think?? Should I go for it? I've had some stuff going on lately, and I really need a change, and I'm thinking that my parents'll like this as an alternative to getting my belly button pierced or a tattoo :lol: Plus, for half of the summer I'll be working at a gymnastics camp, getting up at 7ish every day and teaching a bunch of little kids cartwheels and stuff.. It'll be fun but I won't have much time to deal with this beast on my head. :roll:

Any suggestions or opinions?

TIA!
    Hair type: 3
  • curl pluralcurl plural Posts: 5Registered Users
    :cry:
    Hi all! I'm a 3A/B

I'm new here. I had BSL hair, and stupidly I chopped it to just past my shoulders at its longest the other week. I have layers of varying lengths. Ugh. It looks AWFUL. It looks like I'm stuck in some inbetween length. I'm such a moron. I was getting sick of it being so heavy, but what I should've done was gotten more defined layers. Now it just looks so erratic. It doesn't look good in a side part or down the middle. It's just sorta blah. It's corkscrewy on the undersides and more scrunchy/ kinky toward the upper layers.

Anyway, I'll post some pix soon and would love to hear any advice possible.

I don't know if I should go back to my stylist right away because I certainly don't want it any shorter or worse. I don't know if I'll go back to her in general, because I can't tell if she did a bad job or if it's just not the right cut for me, KWIM?

Anyway, there you have it.
    :oops:
    3AB * Umberto Gianinni Twirl & Curl * DevaCurl Set It Free * Matrix Amplify Liquid Gel * Missha Styling Natural Shine Glaze * MOP Leave-In Conditioner * Redken Color Extend Conditioner * Citre Shine Conditioner Revitalize Daily
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    thanks for the advice, kids. (sorry for the delay, i wasn't getting notices of replies to this thread).

i am resisting the urge to trim ... thought i just did some do it yourself bangs and i sort of want to see if she thinks they should be fixed up ... i think they look cute but ... ;)

but maybe i'll just hold out as long as i can.

i'll be in barcelona, kurlee. yes, i'm super excited!

:D

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    mayim wrote:

i'll be in barcelona, kurlee. yes, i'm super excited!

I have been there. It is a pretty city.

• curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I've been trying to grow my hair long forever. It grows sooooo slowly. I think it made the most progress while I was pregnant. I hardly ever trim it, too (no, it doesn't have split ends). I'd like to get it below the shoulders.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
    I am getting a cut this weekend. It's been a little over 4 months sinse I last had one.
    I am soooo tempted to cut it off above shoulder length and get a bunch of layers. I did pretty good witha pony tail for the longest time, but now I am starting to feel so boring. I have so much problem with triangle shaped hair, even with layers, when it is longer. Hmm...

• jenjenjenjen Posts: 188Registered Users
    I've been growing it out for a year now. I cut my hair really short about 1 1/2 years ago and it's starting to look nice again. I'm going for the longest I've ever had it just to see what it looks like. I'm trying for below the shoulder blades. It will be interesting. Right now it's just past my neck but the front is a little shorter. I'm glad to have my curls back and to have found this website. I understand a lot more about my hair and how to take care of it. Good luck everyone! :D :) 8) :lol: :wink: :!:

.png

.png
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    “Law is order, and good law is good order” (Aristotle).
  • easchusteaschust Posts: 16Registered Users
    Curlymel and jenjen--

I have sisters named Logan and Audrey Rose! Weird.
    Erin

2A with some 3A/B, lots of fine hair
  • jenjenjenjen Posts: 188Registered Users
    easchust wrote:
    Curlymel and jenjen--

I have sisters named Logan and Audrey Rose! Weird.

my husband wants to name our daughter audrey... i like the name but i'm fonder of josephine or felicity. i guess in the end it doesn't matter as long as she's healthy :lol: :!: :lol:
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    “Law is order, and good law is good order” (Aristotle).
    Kurlee wrote:
    I am getting a cut this weekend. It's been a little over 4 months sinse I last had one.
    I am soooo tempted to cut it off above shoulder length and get a bunch of layers. I did pretty good witha pony tail for the longest time, but now I am starting to feel so boring. I have so much problem with triangle shaped hair, even with layers, when it is longer. Hmm...

Did you do it??

I ended up going back to my stylist who reshaped it a lot, and now it looks WAY better, yet I STILL miss my BSL hair of yore. Sigh. Grow, damnit, grow!!! :D
    3AB * Umberto Gianinni Twirl & Curl * DevaCurl Set It Free * Matrix Amplify Liquid Gel * Missha Styling Natural Shine Glaze * MOP Leave-In Conditioner * Redken Color Extend Conditioner * Citre Shine Conditioner Revitalize Daily
    Kurlee wrote:

Did you do it??

I ended up going back to my stylist who reshaped it a lot, and now it looks WAY better, yet I STILL miss my BSL hair of yore. Sigh. Grow, damnit, grow!!! :D

I had to reschedule my appointment til the 17th instead. Lucky enough I feel like keeping the length again. I hope I still fell that way next weekend. :wink:
    I think I need to make more layers though. But not so many that it turns into poodle hair. Fine line. :P

dp

Kurlee wrote:
    Kurlee wrote:

I think I need to make more layers though. But not so many that it turns into poodle hair. Fine line. :P

That's what I REAAAAALLLY wish I'd had done: kept the length and gotten more layers so it didn't get that Xmas tree look. Oh well. Hindsight.
  • FidoGwenFidoGwen Posts: 92Registered Users
    Off the top of my head, I don't remember when I last had my hair cut . . . whatever it says in my signature. :) I am trying to grow my hair beyond BSL, because pre-CG it wouuldn't grow longer than that. I am hoping that with my hair being so much more healthy it will grow so much more longer!!! But pretty soon I will need a trim because my bottom layer doesn't curl at all when my hair is this short!

>sigh< If it wasn't for that dreaded bottom layer I could probably go two years without a trim . . . .

I don't have any really good hair pictures, but there are decent pictures on my MySpace. Just click the WWW button!
    I'm a 2something/3something. Started modified CG routine on 6/6/05
    Cut more than ten inches from my BSL hair on 8-10-05 and growing it long again
    But we're STILL adjusting. ;-)
  • Leilani42Leilani42 Posts: 200Registered Users
    I really want my hair to be longer. I got it cut recently, by someone who did NOT listen to my directions, and it is now just shy of chin level. I used to think that the shorter it got, the curlier it got. Not so! It might also be the crappy cut, because it's not so much curly, but more pokey. The way she cut it has the curl all messed up... the hair in each curl ends at a different place, making it look like I have major split ends. And since my under-layers are much straighter, the bottoms stick out in weird places. Booh. So, everyone but me seems to like the cut.

So... that was a bit of an aside, but yes, I want to grow my hair out. :D
    2c/3a-M-i
    modified CG since July 2004.
    searching for products that work...
    So, I am finaly getting my hair cut on Saturday. It got rescheduled by me twice and then she rescheduled once too. Hehe. I was in no hurry so it is fine.

I am planning on asking her to cut as little as possible. Just trim the dry (?) ends off. Maybe reshape it a little, but that probably happens automatically.

I have had good hair days lately. Maybe it is finally getting long enough.

I will report back.

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    i'm still growin! i almost cut it earlier this week, but i decided to stick it out. i bet it will be fine the longer it gets. and the longer it gets, the better i will feel... i probably will live with my hair in a ponytail for the next couple weeks to get past this weird part....
    i just wish it wasn't so hard! :cry: :wink:

hooray kurlee! grow, girl, grow!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • lcaste1lcaste1 Posts: 105Registered Users
    You ladies don't know how much I needed this thread. I recently cut 4 inches off and I am miserable. My wedding is next May so I hope it grows back by then. Right now my hair is about 2 inches below my collar bones. Someone told me that it is supposed to grow about 5-6inches per year. (I hope so)

On some level I think I did the right thing by cutting because my ends were damaged from an affair with my flat iron, but I still miss my hair. :(
    Starting my curly resolution! 3a/3b with some waves thrown in. Haven't been CG in a while. Need product suggestions.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Hey TropicalCurls, that's my length! I call it bustline-length, if that helps.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lcaste1 wrote:
    You ladies don't know how much I needed this thread. I recently cut 4 inches off and I am miserable. My wedding is next May so I hope it grows back by then.

i chopped off 11.5 inches in may.. and my wedding is in dec!

i understand the freak out moment :)

i'm slightly crazy about my hair and its growth right now.. my guy keeps reassuring me.. i think he's just tired of me saying to him "does my hair look longer?..... look at my hair, it's longer, right?......"
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
    I finally took a picture of my "new" cut this evening. I have a picture from January in the album too. It has grown quite a bit.

• DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Posts: 93Registered Users
    I'm so glad to have found this thread (and message board in general). Before last night, I never realized that curly hair needed a different care regimen than straight hair.

Anyway, I'm trying to grow out my hair to BSL. I've been growing it out for 2 years with only the occasional trim every 4-6 months. It's taking forever. It started out chin-length, and right now I'm only about 2" below my shoulders. It'll probably be another 2 years before I actually reach BSL, and who knows how many hair crises I'll have before then. So far I've been good, but usually I try to grow my hair out, get frustrated at the mid-length lack of style, and cut it back to my familiar bob.

Have any of you guys found a good mid-length style? Mine's just kind of blah with some really crappy layers--I need a new hairstylist. I've browsed myriad pictures online and in magazines, but all of the styles I like are on 3B girls.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    [

welcome!!!!
    so, the thing about long hair is, it depends on your hair and your curls if it gets curlier or straighter as it gets longer. you don't really know until you're there! hahaha. but, most 3a's find their hair gets curlier as it gets longer (mine can finally make full turns, whereas when it was shorter it could only get in half turns, and i'd have whips sticking out everywhere instead of actual curls!)

anyway. long layers usually help with getting more curls when it gets longer. for me, my underlayers have gotten really curly (long banana curls) but my top layer just isn't as curly. putting layers in has lightened the load on my top layer, and made them curl a little more.
    so i guess it could help with that....basically, if you're going to get some layers cut in, have them do REALLY LONG layers first so you can see how your hair will react. most of the time, that's enough.

good luck growing! :D

Ok...so I'm pretty sure I have mostly 3a hair and we get curllier as we get longer. I do remember when my hair was longer that the length was really really curly I mean curls would curl around each other. But doesn't the weight of the length still pull some curl from the top/ I think that's what it did with mine and mine was only past BSL. Now I am trying to get it to waist length and I'm thinking I may have to do alot of upside down touseling to get some body at the top.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    good luck to you Brown&Curly! I'm trying to grow mine out too. I had it down to about tail-bone length when pulled straight and then i cut it for locks of love and dorm-life. I think it just depends on the person as to whether or not the weight stretches the roots. Mine did kind of, but it was that noticeable because of the thickness. but good luck!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    Thanks! I know my hair did get curlier up top when I cut it. But when I look at older pics of me with my longer hair, it was still pretty curly. So I guess I'm not to worried. Getting it to waist length is a bit longer than I had it. I just miss my long hair. All though I don't miss getting it caught under my purse, or in my seat belt, or in trees!lol but I guess I'll deal with that.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    I'm also trying to grow out my hair... I want long hair in my graduation photos!

This summer I chopped off 7" as it was the only portion of my hair that had been dyed. It was severely damaged, so it was a relief to get rid of it! As of July when it was cut, it was just above my shoulders. Now it is approximately 3" below my shoulders. Figuring that was about 3.5 months ago and its grown 3.5", I am averaging nearly an inch each month. It could be BSL by may! (hopefully my hair will continue growing insanely fast)

ETA: its 3" inches below my shoulders when straight. Only shoulder length when curly.
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • rhubarbarinrhubarbarin Posts: 22Registered Users
    I am growing mine out! I'm so happy with it.. happier the longer it gets. Right now it's in a v-shape with the longest part just past my bra band when it's curly.. when it's wet it's almost to my waist!

I find it's much easier to manage the longer it gets. Less frizz, and less uncontrollable body. I want it as long as it will grow (I'm hoping this is past my butt).

Check out the longhaircommunity.com.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    well i'm still growing :)

i haven't had any real haircuts since the major chop.. i've had it trimmed a couple of times since then though..

i'm ready to cut it again, but i'm trying to wait another year or so and i'll do another major chop and donation to lol..

how's everyone else doing with the growing out?
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file