Getting over your fears

starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
I have insomnia right now and i can't sleep. Everyone is asleep and i keep hearing bumping sounds and its starting to freak me out.Ive look around the house and haven't seen anything ,but i still have that feeling of fear in my stomach. Im the type who can't watch scary movies or unsolved mysteries at home alone. What are some of your fears and how did you get over them? ps. i think im going to pull out the louisville slugger.:sad5:

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I live alone, so I also don't watch scary movies. When I had a house I would always lock my bedroom door. Now that I live in an apartment I'm not so scared. I still keep everything locked up tight, but I have so many neighbors close by that I feel safer.

A fear I have is of heights. Tonight I went to the Suns basketball game & we had nose bleed seats. I had a real hard time sitting there. My hands were tingling & my heart was beating so fast. When we had to stand for the Star Spangled Banner I thought I would hyperventilate. I once went up in a hot air balloon because I was told it would help my fear. I was a basket case & it didn't help at all.

I don't know what you can do. I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Thank you im not the only one. I fear heights too, ive stopped flying a long time ago. And your right about an apartment for some reason i felt way safer, than i do now in a house. Even though my hubby and daughter are here i still feel scared.
    starg2008 wrote: »
    Thank you im not the only one. I fear heights too, ive stopped flying a long time ago. And your right about an apartment for some reason i felt way safer, than i do now in a house. Even though my hubby and daughter are here i still feel scared.

I don't have a problem flying in airplanes. My ex is a private pilot & we owned our own plane & it never bothered me to fly. The only time I would get nervous was when the tower would tell us there was another plane at 2:00, etc. My ex had to wear his earphones so I couldn't hear the tower.

There are a lot of home invasions here & this is with the whole family there, not just someone living alone. Does your home have a security system? You may feel safer with one of these. Living alone I couldn't afford one. I actually have one at my apartment & it is free to me.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    We are having alot of home invasions here also, that may be why im feeling like this. I live in kind of a small town and i know this happens everywhere but for the past month its been really bad. I mean i can deal with someone breaking in and stealing my stuff while im gone because i have insurance.But who ever these people are that are doing this are coming in peoples houses while they are asleep with guns. No one has gotten injured thank god. It seems like the police aren't doing anything about it, at least add more cops to the night patrol to circle the neiborhoods.We don't have an alarm system but im sure thinking about getting one.
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    I'm the same way. Something about someone just being able to walk right up to a house, and all those possible points of entry, is just creepy. It's a lot more comforting to me to know, now that I've moved to a 4th floor apartment, that the only way anyone could possible enter is either through the dead-locked front door or with a grappling hook and climbing equipment over the balcony. :lol: This feels more like being in a secure castle tower, and I love it. Ironically, I'm afraid of heights, too. (I never look down from the balcony here. ;) ) I have been since I was little. It's probably from my neurotic mother literally screaming about me falling down the stairs, or whatever, every time I got even close to being high up. :roll:

I find distraction helps a little. If I'm going up or down stairs, I count the steps. If I'm feeling creeped out at home I play music and start a video game or pop a funny movie into the player. That kind of thing.
    Thats a good idea ive turned on a few more lights, and i was watching a movie before with headphones on (so i would'nt wake anyone), that's when i started hearing stuff so i looked around and made sure the doors were locked,but it sounded like someone was bumping around, I don't hear it any more but ill probably be up for a while.
    Not to scare you more, BUT (insert evil laugh here) there was a girl I worked with who woke up one morning & found that someone had come into her home & robbed her & her family. Her MIL was staying there & had left her car in the driveway. The garage door opener was in it. They broke into her car, used the garage door opener & the door leading into the house from the garage was unlocked. They took all the electronics, plus moved the MIL's car & stole the pickup that was in the garage. They had an 18 month old baby girl also sleeping in the house. How daring of these people & how scary for the family. It's probably lucky that no one woke up, but they could have taken that little baby. I wonder if these crimes are drug related or gang related.

Well, it's 2am here & I'm still awake. I just skeered myself.
    From Michael Berg:

Lotsawaves wrote: »
    Not to scare you more, BUT (insert evil laugh here) there was a girl I worked with who woke up one morning & found that someone had come into her home & robbed her & her family. Her MIL was staying there & had left her car in the driveway. The garage door opener was in it. They broke into her car, used the garage door opener & the door leading into the house from the garage was unlocked. They took all the electronics, plus moved the MIL's car & stole the pickup that was in the garage. They had an 18 month old baby girl also sleeping in the house. How daring of these people & how scary for the family. It's probably lucky that no one woke up, but they could have taken that little baby. I wonder if these crimes are drug related or gang related.

Well, it's 2am here & I'm still awake. I just skeered myself.
    Thank you for talking with me, my daughter ended up waking up and i layed down with her and fell asleep. There are so called quote on quote gangs here(little boys trying to imitate what they see going on in the big cities) These have been grown men doing this they have robbed stores,houses,taxis,pizza and chinese delivery drivers. And from the information witnesses have given they almost seem to be the same people doing this.I don't think we have the castle law here in iowa,i have to check, were if someone breaks in and you defend your self and those people are hurt you won't serve a day in jail. Older men in my neighborhood are talking about forming a watch and some of them do own legal firearms.Alot of them work at night so the wives and children are left home alone. I wish the police will do some thing, will it take someone to die for them to take action? I pray not.
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    I had a severe fear of escalators...would never get on them even if it meant trekking up ten flights of stairs....
    well, I'm now cured.
    My trip to Beijing in August did the trick...I had no choice but to use the escalators, as there were no stairs in most places where there were escalators, it was either find the stairs (alot of places didnt have any stairs) and get left behind by my group, and probably get lost, or just grin and bear it. ...also, in the airports that I went through, I was forced to use the escalators or possibly get separated from my group.

I can now get on an escalator without feeling like I'm about to die.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not really a fearful person. However, since I had a really bad fall down a flight of stairs and broke my ankle to smitherines and had to have it surgically reconstructed with plates and pins and screws which took me a full 2 years to rehabilitate from...I now have a healthy fear of stairs. I no longer just put my hand on the railing...I actually HOLD the railing. If the flight of stairs is particularly high, I'll hold on with BOTH hands.
    RCW, I really get you on the stairs part or anyone falling. I know we have discussed here how it is funny when people have fallen down & we have both agreed that it isn't funny. At the ball game my daughter reached for her purse (which is like a coach suitcase) & started to fall forward. Thankfully, her husband caught her. She & her stepmom laughed about it on the way home & talked about how funny it is when people fall. I didn't think it was funny. I almost threw up watching this. I tried to explain to them that people can get very hurt in these falls & it isn't funny. They didn't get it. I reminded my daughter of when I fell down 2 flights of stairs in our tri-level home. It scared them so bad & fortunately I wasn't injured except for some bruises & soreness. I'm very careful with stairs today.
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file