another round of potty training questions

subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
i hadnt planned on starting potty training until majerle was 2, but shes now able to tell me when shes pooped her pants or that she is currently pooping her pants.
i let her sit on the potty during one of those times and anytime shes had to poop after that, she wants to go on the potty. its never actually made it into the potty, but its a start.
im wondering, how do i get her to understand when shes wet? i dont think she has any concept of peeing in her diaper. do i just go with poopy only and we'll work on going pee later or just scrap the whole thing and wait until she can figure them both out?

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I wouldn't scrap the whole thing. If she's into the pooping thing, go with it. The pee may take a while to sink in. You can take her in the bathroom with you when you pee and discuss it. You could try letting her run around the bathroom with no pants on, or get cloth training pants that she wears part of the day, so she will feel herself pee and you know when she goes and discuss it. Or you can just wait and work on just pooping.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I think if she's interested in doing poo poo on the potty I'd run with it. Most likely she'll pee at least a little when she poops so you can make a big deal of it, and eventually she'll understand what pee pee is too.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote: »
    i hadnt planned on starting potty training until majerle was 2, but shes now able to tell me when shes pooped her pants or that she is currently pooping her pants.
    i let her sit on the potty during one of those times and anytime shes had to poop after that, she wants to go on the potty. its never actually made it into the potty, but its a start.
    im wondering, how do i get her to understand when shes wet? i dont think she has any concept of peeing in her diaper. do i just go with poopy only and we'll work on going pee later or just scrap the whole thing and wait until she can figure them both out?

There are some kids who train before they turn 2. My oldest was like that. He trained himself over a weekend when he was 20 months old. I say "trained himself", because he was the one that did it. All I did was help him onto the toilet and buy him big-boy underwear. He was the one who had the desire and willingness. Back then, I thought I was a great pottytrainer, but my other children taught me some humility and made me realize it had little, or nothing, to do with my abilities at all.

ANYWAY...I think any time a toddler is showing you signs they are ready, you should try to expoit it. I'd go out today and buy her some underwear and see how it goes. She might surprise you. They can learn "wet" in very little time.
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    subbrock wrote: »

this is what helped my husband and me get through potty training without wanting to commit a felony.

1. we sent them to the potty every 15 minutes. we didn't ask if they had to go. we just said, "it's time to sit on the pot." with that frequency, you are likely to catch them when they have to urinate. it's a headache, but this is the single factor that got them to successfully urinate in the potty or the toilet without wetting lots of clothing.

2. we knew their bm habits. if your child is likely to make a bm first thing in the morning, that's when you should put her on the pot. our daughter made a bm about 5 minutes into a meal like clockwork. this made it easy for us to successfully plan a bm on the toilet (she didn't like the potty) with her.

hope some of this helps! :blob5:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Registered Users Posts: 728
    Yay for Majerle!! She's definitely ready.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    she has some cloth training pants so i'll put those on her and follow her around with some resolve carpet cleaner. this should be fun.

i was a teacher at a daycare for 5 yrs, so ive potty trained tons of children. but once again, when it comes to my own i feel like i have no clue what im doing.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    We started with poop training. The way I saw it, any one less poopy diaper to change was reason enough to make the effort.

• deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    WOW!!

Good for all the mommies who are doing well or making progress with the Potty!

Liam was dry this AM so I brought him to the Potty to see if he wanted to go.. I sat him down and he just sat there I explained about pee-pee and how it goes in the potty.. and even gave him a book (just like daddy)

nope! nothing yet.. sometimes he goes but he hasn't told me yet he wants to go to potty.. but if there is a silver lining he knows his poop smells and say "poop, peee u" so maybe soon!

Potty Training boys is sooo much fun!!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    deedles wrote: »
    WOW!!

Good for all the mommies who are doing well or making progress with the Potty!

Liam was dry this AM so I brought him to the Potty to see if he wanted to go.. I sat him down and he just sat there I explained about pee-pee and how it goes in the potty.. and even gave him a book (just like daddy)

nope! nothing yet.. sometimes he goes but he hasn't told me yet he wants to go to potty.. but if there is a silver lining he knows his poop smells and say "poop, peee u" so maybe soon!

Potty Training boys is sooo much fun!!

~d

:laughing5::laughing5::laughing5:
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I think I may give it a try while I'm on maternity leave. We have the one that fits on top of the toilet but he seems to like to squat when he has a BM. I wonder if it's uncomfortable for him to try to go with his feet dangling down and a low potty would be better.
    hello.world.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    webjockey wrote: »
    I think I may give it a try while I'm on maternity leave. We have the one that fits on top of the toilet but he seems to like to squat when he has a BM. I wonder if it's uncomfortable for him to try to go with his feet dangling down and a low potty would be better.

I have read that it helps to have their feet touching something so they can brace themselves for the BMs.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    webjockey wrote: »

He can rest his feet on a stepstool while he sits on the big potty. DS never minded just hanging on, though.

• webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I found this online and thought of you.

congrats btw.
    hello.world.
    I just got this cute voicemail on my work phone ( wish I had the ability to record it and share it)

Daycare Lady: Liam tell Mommy you did Pee Pee
    Liam: Mommy I went Pee Pee
    Daycare Lady: Where Liam
    Liam: In the Pot Mommy!!
    Daycare lady: tell her to call
    Liam: Call me back Mommy

I swear I am saving that for a while!

**WARM FUZZIES**
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Awwwwww! :love4:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    That's so cute, deedles! :)
    3c/4a
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    We have pooped on the potty 2 1/2 times so far. (The half time was TINY, but it was still SOMETHING!) he will say poop after I say "let's change your poopy diaper- you went poop." he will say, "Poopy." But never before hand. he is a dead give-away though- he squats down & makes funny faces! That's when I can scoop him up to sit on teh potty. We havea small seat that goes on top of the regualar seat with a stool underneath. his feet still don't reach the stool though- I need a taller stool... our potty seat has handles on the sides for them to hold onto if they need.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    My daughter has peed a bunch of times on the potty, but no poop so far. She always tells me when she's pooped, though. Today she told me "I made a serious poopy." LOL
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • TrenellTrenell Registered Users Posts: 3,562 Curl Connoisseur
    We had our first potty poop today. I cannot believe how excited I was. hahah

Isaiah, at times, will use "I have peepee" as a stall tactic. Sometimes he just doesn't want to but on a diaper. Or go to bed. So he sits on the potty and you can just see him TRYING so hard to pee.

He also hates getting his diaper changed. There have been fits. So, when he walked up to me today and said "Change me. I have poo in my pants" I was shocked

*as I'm changing him*

Me: That was good you let Mommy know. Now you just have to let me know you have to go BEFORE you poo your pants.

Him: WAIT!!!!!!!!! Potty

I put him on the floor. He runs to his potty and poos.

awwww.

Him: Potty plays music at Gand-mama's house.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Yay! Go Isaiah! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    **POTTY DANCE**

Way to go little man!! Liam went twice at his daycare provider on Friday and once on Friday evening at home...

Still hasn't gotten the idea of telling mommy he has to go. doesn't have that grasp yet (all in time)

~d
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Trenell wrote: »
    So, when he walked up to me today and said "Change me. I have poo in my pants" I was shocked

Ah...you have a little boy who likes to be clean. You can exploit that.

That's how my oldest, who trained himself at 20 months, started. He didn't like to be poopy, so he would come to me asking to be changed. One time, I was occupied with something else and he was being really annoying about it, so I told him "I don't have time right now, go change your own diaper". To my surprise, he went and got a diaper and the wipes, laid down on the floor and did a pretty darn good job of changing himself (I finished it up of course). So, I told him if he was old enough to do that, he was old enough to use the potty and he wouldn't have to wait for me to change him. The next time he had to poop, he asked to use the potty. And that was it...over that weekend, he pottytrained himself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file