Push-Ups?

violetcurlsvioletcurls Registered Users Posts: 434 Curl Neophyte
How do you do a push up? I can't do one! I would very much like to learn how, and though I've read multiple resources, I still can't do one. Should I build up some arm muscle first by lifting weights?
3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Nobody move! I dropped me brain. ~Jack Sparrow
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• FullOfCurlsFullOfCurls Registered Users Posts: 47
    I retract my statement.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I think it's works well if women train at various levels. Start with wall push-ups, then when you can do 10 of those easily (and with no low back or butt sag), then graduate to pushups at somewhere around waist height, say, using a counter top. Then you can go to lower heights, using tables or whatever you have around the house that works. Then you'll get to floor push-ups.

Personally, I find the knee push up to be sort of a waste for training as compared to the above types. YMMV though.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I like using the big balls (i'm sure they have a name, but I'm far from athetically inclined...) to do them too. having the ball just below your hips is fairly easy, move it down to your ankles for increased difficulty. It really forces you to work your core :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Keep in mind that pushups don't just involve the muscles in your arm. If you think you need to do some strength training before you're able to do any, it would be best to do a full upper-body workout. (Well, it's best to work all those muscles anyway...)
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Registered Users Posts: 1,078
    When you do a push up you are working your core along with your arms.

I would suggest lifting some weights (keep them light and go for repetition this way you do not get bulky muscles instead lean toned muscle) and also doing some stability work on a physio ball to help build your core. Your problem may not be the muscle strength in your arms alone, instead your core may not be strong enough to hold the correct positions.

I hope this helps.

I'm sorry but this is not true. Do you have a source for your information? Numerous sources and research show that women are not capable of getting bulky muscles, due to our lack of testosterone. The best way to build muscle is to use heavy weights with less repetition. You could lift a can of soup all day every day but it's not going to do much for you in way of gaining muscle strength.

Myths of Women's Weight Training and Female Bodybuilding

Women's Weight Training Myth #1 -Weight training makes you bulky and masculine.
    Due to the fact that women do not, and cannot, naturally produce as much testosterone (one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle size) as males do, it is impossible for a woman to gain huge amounts of muscle mass by merely touching some weights. Unfortunately, the image that may come to your mind is that of professional female bodybuilders. Most of these women, unfortunately, use anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone) along with other drugs in order to achieve that high degree of muscularity. In addition, most also have good genetics coupled with an unbelievable work ethic that enable them to gain muscle quickly when they spend hours in the gym lifting very heavy weights. Believe me when I say that they do not look like that by accident. Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.

Women's Weight Training Myth #7 - Women only need to do cardio and if they decide to lift weights, they should be very light.
    First of all, if you only did cardio then muscle and fat would be burned for fuel. One needs to do weights in order to get the muscle building machine going and thus prevent any loss of muscle tissue. Women that only concentrate on cardio will have a very hard time achieving the look that they want. As far as the lifting of very light weights, this is just more nonsense. Muscle responds to resistance and if the resistance is too light, then there will be no reason for the body to change.

Women Should Train Hard
    I have trained with girls that train as hard as I do and they look nothing but feminine. If you want to look great, don't be afraid to pick up the weights and lift hard

Some other sources:
    Myths About Resistance Training

Common misconceptions about women and weights

To the OP: I agree with the others- start doing some weight lifting and work on building up your core strength. I used to not be able to do push ups either, but I started attending a boot camp run by a former Marine sergeant and now I can do 5 sets of 20 reps!

Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • beenabeena Registered Users Posts: 35
    I used this method http://stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=75 and I can easily do 20 just for a warm up :toothy10:

But yeah, the 'bulky' myth is just that. There's a spectrum of what is 'too big' - if you want to look like someone like Madonna - you have to eat, rest, train and work like Madonna. Most people don't.

Krista on Stumptuous tackles much of the misinformation out there regarding women's weight training.
    First day of CG: 27th Sept 2008
    Hair: seems to be 2 at the back (s curls?) with loose ringlets at the front.
    Products: Experimenting still! Hair likes Boots curl creme and Aloe Vera gel.

I :love10: weightlifting
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Registered Users Posts: 434 Curl Neophyte
    MimsTX wrote: »
    I like using the big balls (i'm sure they have a name, but I'm far from athetically inclined...) to do them too. having the ball just below your hips is fairly easy, move it down to your ankles for increased difficulty. It really forces you to work your core :)

I've heard them balance balls, yoga balls, and monster/killer volleyballs. Honestly. I've played volleyball with one of those. Practically ripped my arm off. It was so fun. :read2:

I would suggest lifting some weights (keep them light and go for repetition this way you do not get bulky muscles instead lean toned muscle) and also doing some stability work on a physio ball to help build your core. Your problem may not be the muscle strength in your arms alone, instead your core may not be strong enough to hold the correct positions.

I hope this helps.

I'm sorry but this is not true. Do you have a source for your information? Numerous sources and research show that women are not capable of getting bulky muscles, due to our lack of testosterone. The best way to build muscle is to use heavy weights with less repetition. You could lift a can of soup all day every day but it's not going to do much for you in way of gaining muscle strength.

Myths of Women's Weight Training and Female Bodybuilding

Women's Weight Training Myth #1 -Weight training makes you bulky and masculine.
    Due to the fact that women do not, and cannot, naturally produce as much testosterone (one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle size) as males do, it is impossible for a woman to gain huge amounts of muscle mass by merely touching some weights. Unfortunately, the image that may come to your mind is that of professional female bodybuilders. Most of these women, unfortunately, use anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone) along with other drugs in order to achieve that high degree of muscularity. In addition, most also have good genetics coupled with an unbelievable work ethic that enable them to gain muscle quickly when they spend hours in the gym lifting very heavy weights. Believe me when I say that they do not look like that by accident. Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.

Women's Weight Training Myth #7 - Women only need to do cardio and if they decide to lift weights, they should be very light.
    First of all, if you only did cardio then muscle and fat would be burned for fuel. One needs to do weights in order to get the muscle building machine going and thus prevent any loss of muscle tissue. Women that only concentrate on cardio will have a very hard time achieving the look that they want. As far as the lifting of very light weights, this is just more nonsense. Muscle responds to resistance and if the resistance is too light, then there will be no reason for the body to change.

Women Should Train Hard
    I have trained with girls that train as hard as I do and they look nothing but feminine. If you want to look great, don't be afraid to pick up the weights and lift hard

Some other sources:
    Myths About Resistance Training

Common misconceptions about women and weights

To the OP: I agree with the others- start doing some weight lifting and work on building up your core strength. I used to not be able to do push ups either, but I started attending a boot camp run by a former Marine sergeant and now I can do 5 sets of 20 reps!

Okay. I don't really want six pack abs or to be ripped or anything, and I figured all of the bodybuilders you see on the commercial aren't natural. I've seen girls who are actually healthy and strong, and that's not it. I'm going to do some weight lifting, but I'm starting with five lbs. and working my way up (okay, yes! I am a wimp! I admit it! But, I'm speedy and can easily dodge any move, so don't pick on me. :read2: ) I think I'm going to go with the method that Beena posted, since everyone else seems to agree with it. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to learn how to do a full push-up? I'm not in a rush or anything. Just curious.

Thanks for all of the links and ideas! Hopefully this will be a good exercise for me. =]

P.S. I can do wall push-ups, by the way. Counter push-ups are a little harder. How do you keep your feet from slipping? Thanks again!
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Sorry, that was what I thought was general knowledge about weight training. Guess I was wrong. I deleted my statement above.
    Any tips for sit ups?
    I can do a push up, but definately not a good sit up. I don't think that my abs are that weak since I do a lot of core strength and I can do all sorts of other ab exercises, but not for the life of me can I do a good sit up.
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Registered Users Posts: 434 Curl Neophyte
    Any tips for sit ups?
    I can do a push up, but definately not a good sit up. I don't think that my abs are that weak since I do a lot of core strength and I can do all sorts of other ab exercises, but not for the life of me can I do a good sit up.

Ironically, I think I can do a sit up. I'm not sure how good of a form it is. No one has ever watched. Anyway, imagine that you are trying to grab something on the other side of the rooms and then "pull" yourself up. Sort of. I don't think I explained this well. Another way I heard was that it's easier to do them by lightly grasping right above your knees when going up. Again, someone should check this. Oh, make sure you are using your ab muscles and whatnot.
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    I can only do one real pushup, the rest I have to do girl pushups.
  • RyanneRyanne Registered Users Posts: 686
    I can do 5-10 real push ups, after 10 I'll collapse.
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    I can do 30 real pushups! :toothy7:I've been taking a strength training/boot camp class every friday for over 3 months already and it has paid off in a big way. I can even do some with one leg crossed over the other.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file