Hard Water Treatment

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain curly hair in an area that has only hard water? :happy7:
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• ibraidhairibraidhair Registered Users Posts: 343
    I have very hard water. Several years ago, my hair had so much mineral build-up that conditioner had no effect whatsoever! :tongue6: ACV rinse took care of that for me. About a tablespoon in about 8 oz of water (I try to use bottled water, but I don't always) poured over my scalp and hair after my final rinse. I use it every time my head gets under the faucet. It made a huge difference!
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Citric acid rinse is supposed to help remove hard water minerals. 1/8t to 1 1/4c water.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you! I'll give it a try.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • pelicanopelicano Registered Users Posts: 580
    I use lime juice - it smells lovely and isn't drying (I found lemon to be). I find it has the same effect as ACV without the stink!
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Registered Users Posts: 343
    pelicano wrote: »
    I use lime juice - it smells lovely and isn't drying (I found lemon to be). I find it has the same effect as ACV without the stink!
    That's great to know! I use lime juice and water for a refresher spray, but I never thought of using it as a rinse. I don't mind the smell of acv and it's cheap. But if I run out or don't have acv handy (like when I forgot it on vacation) now I know I can substitute with lime juice.

Do you dilute it in water? What proportions?
  • pelicanopelicano Registered Users Posts: 580
    I was using the juice of one lime, but I now use 2 (unless the limes are particularly juicy!), diluted to about 300 ml water. I only leave it for about 2 minutes, then rinse it out well.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file