INDIGO ONLY for BLACK

tulipantulipan Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi!

I coloured my hair with henna and indigo for the first time. It's okay, some places more reddish, some places more black, because I couldn't do it perfect. Now I'm sure that my hair prefer natural colouring methods more than chemical dying. I have read that I can have black result with indigo only, but I didn't read about somebody here who do it this way. What is the diffrence? Dying with indigo only is less expensive, I hope my grays dissapear without henna?

Can somebody tell me something about his experience?
3A/M/iii
-
full CG routine works for my hair!

s-event.png

Sorry for my mistakes in english! This is not my main language. I'm still learning!

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    From everything I've read, to get a black result you're supposed to use Henna, rinse out completely and then use Indigo. I could definitely be wrong though, as I've never done it.

There are a couple of people around here who are henna experts though, someone should know for sure :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    From what I understand, indigo tends to rinse out without the henna first, but I could be wrong too.....
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tulipantulipan Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    On the page in my main language there are two receips:

1. For warm black : first henna, then indigo
    2. For cold black : indigo only

I wrote to the owner of this site and she told me, that I can dying only with indigo. I asked on polish forum and another girl wrote me, that she's dying her hair black with indigo only....

I was really surprised that even black woman with black hair here are using both of them (h+i).

Okay, I'm going to be the first to try it. Of course I'm going to write about the result and what is the diffrence. Hope I wouldn't finis with blue hair, because this is not my goal;)
    3A/M/iii
    -

s-event.png

Sorry for my mistakes in english! This is not my main language. I'm still learning!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol, it'll probably do ok as long as your hair isn't a light blond. Indigo is actually blue (thus why it goes dark/black when combined with the red) so while I KNOW it goes this weird lavendar color on blond hair, it might do ok on something else.

lets us know!
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Indigo doesn't "stick" to the hair very well unless there is henna along with it, or already on the hair. If you dye with indigo-only, you risk getting BLUE hair, especially on the gray hairs. The indigo dye molecule is blue (that's why blue jeans are blue, because they are dyed with indigo). It's the combination of the red from the henna plus the blue from the indigo that makes a brown or black result.

The best way to get a true black result is to do the henna and indigo in a 2-step process.
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    The free ebook from hennaforhair.com has photos of the results of different mixtures. I know indigo alone will turn lighter hair blue. I'm not sure what it would do to darker hair. Your grays would still turn blue even if it made your brown hair turn black.

They suggest henna-indigo mix for shades of brown. The more indigo used, the darker it will be. For black, they recommend doing henna alone, then indigo alone.
    Okay, thank you all:)
    3A/M/iii
    -

s-event.png

Okay, yesterday I did an experiment. I've got about 100g indigo - it's too little for my longer-than-shoulders-hair, but I decided to try it. I put it on my hair with tea spoon of salt and today got beautiful black hair. It looks natural, not blue. My greys are dark too, don't see anything blue. So for me - dark brown hair - indigo only works great. I don't know how long indigo will stay on my hair and why it's BLACK not blue, but I'm happy with the result. My friend was right - she's dying with indigo only from couple months. The only diffrence - she's straight.
    3A/M/iii
    -

s-event.png

• hennabrainhennabrain Posts: 221Registered Users
    tulipan wrote: »
    Okay, yesterday I did an experiment. I've got about 100g indigo - it's too little for my longer-than-shoulders-hair, but I decided to try it. I put it on my hair with tea spoon of salt and today got beautiful black hair. It looks natural, not blue. My greys are dark too, don't see anything blue. So for me - dark brown hair - indigo only works great. I don't know how long indigo will stay on my hair and why it's BLACK not blue, but I'm happy with the result. My friend was right - she's dying with indigo only from couple months. The only diffrence - she's straight.

you had used henna + indigo recently, though, right? i think the indigo bonded to the henna already in your hair. some people routinely do a second indigo treatment after they've dyed their hair with hendigo (henna + indigo), to get a deeper, more even black.

to get a good result with indigo, i think you will always need a bit of henna. as RCW said, indigo is a blue dye.
    I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy.

- Mitch Hedberg
    hennabrain wrote: »
    tulipan wrote: »

you had used henna + indigo recently, though, right? i think the indigo bonded to the henna already in your hair. some people routinely do a second indigo treatment after they've dyed their hair with hendigo (henna + indigo), to get a deeper, more even black.

to get a good result with indigo, i think you will always need a bit of henna. as RCW said, indigo is a blue dye.

I'm not sure but it seems that on my hair there is no henna. Yeah I know that possibility that there is some is high. But it was first henna in my life, I read that it wash out quickly for the first time. My greys were pure white before and now they're pure black.

I'm going to experiment with indigo solo for next year. My friend doesn't use henna and her hair is black - she had never used henna. Also there is a receip in my language for black hair with indigo only.

If you're right - I will post about it, but now I see in it an alternative for cheaper dying, it works and I have to be sure. Without tests I wouldn't know.
    3A/M/iii
    -

s-event.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What kind of indigo are you using? Is it a brand name?
    What kind of indigo are you using? Is it a brand name?

No, this is pure indigo.

2. INDYGO

INCI:Indigofera Tinctoria Extract

Maybe I'm wrong, but today I washed my hair and water wasn't blue. It sticks to the hair. Of course I may be wrong, maybe this girl too - I'm respecting this. But now it looks like indigo only is possible.
    3A/M/iii
    -

s-event.png

• CrossbowCrossbow Posts: 11Registered Users
    I thought you were always supposed to use henna first for grey hair.
    Hair type: 3b
    Color: Feria 20
    Shampoo: Suave clarifying, weekly
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals, daily
    Styling products: None!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file