Your take on gluten-free pastas?

slinky1slinky1 BannedPosts: 1,612Banned Users
It seems as though the rice ones aren't very nutritious because of the lack of fiber, so I'm looking at the Quinoa and the Quinoa/Kamut right now. Anyone try? Any others to discuss?
;)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've found most gluten free not as tasty as their counter parts.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I thought Kamut was not gluten-free?

In any case, I do eat Kamut pasta (I only have to avoid wheat) and I like it. Its not as soft as regular pasta but it satisfies my pasta cravings.

• ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    We've been gluten-free a few times, and ditto speckla, they just aren't as tasty. They tend to be mushier. We use rice noodles mostly though. Actually we tend to not cook pasta dishes much anymore and use brown rice instead.

Those asian rice stick type of noodles are pretty good! And you can get them in the asian section of a regular grocery store, so you aren't paying your left arm for them!
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like rice noodles, but that's mainly because it's used in three specific Indian dishes, one of which is a sweet (yay!).

As for everything else, I've bought my sister gluten free pasta, and she says it's horrible. She loves plain rice much more.
  • ArjaeArjae Posts: 412Registered Users
    My favorite gluten-free pasta is Tinkyada. They are made of rice, but they aren't mushy. I love spaghetti! :wink:
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Rose J wrote: »
    My favorite gluten-free pasta is Tinkyada. They are made of rice, but they aren't mushy. I love spaghetti! :wink:

Tinkyada is also my favorite. Never mushy unless overcooked. I buy the brown rice variety. There is also a white rice, but the brown rice has more fiber. There are at least 18 varieties available.

Some people feel that it is too expensive, but I think it is a bargain to have such a tasty food.

My favorite styles:
    Spaghetti
    Shells
    Fusilli
    Vegetable spirals

Nutrition Facts for Spaghetti Style Brown Rice Pasta with Rice Bran

Serving size: 2 oz
    Calories: 210
    Total fat: 2 g
    Potassium: 100 mg
    Total carbs: 43 g
    Dietary fiber: 2 g
    Sugars: 0
    Protein: 4 g

Iron: 4%
    Thiamine/Vit B1: 15%
    Riboflavin/Vit B2: 0%
    Niacin/Vit B3: 15%
    Folic acid: 0%
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't like it (gluten-free pastas), but then again, I'm a BIG wheat addict. I can, and have, eaten bread all day long.

I remember the corn-derived pastas being better than their counterparts, though.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I didn't like it (gluten-free pastas), but then again, I'm a BIG wheat addict. I can, and have, eaten bread all day long.

Yes, there's a good reason that humankind has settled on wheat as our primary grain. Its good stuff.

I picked up some of the Tinkyada stuff today from Whole Foods after reading this thread. Thanks for the recommendation!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file