My Sister's Keeper

xcptnlxcptnl Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am probably behind the 8 ball but I picked this book for my book club and I just finished reading it - I could NOT put it down. I am now going to have to read some of her other books. She is also a curly and one of the characters in the book said 'my hair has it's own zip code'.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just bought this book at Walmart, and am currently finishing up one before I can start on it. I love Jodi Picoult. So far I've read
    -Nineteen Minutes
    -Salem Falls
    -Plain Truth
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Posts: 245Registered Users
    yes this was one of my favorite books, cpuldn't put it down. I love how Jodi Picoult writes from each characters perspective.

I have also read Nineteen Minutes, Vanshing Acts, The 10th Circle and Songs from a Humpbacked Whale
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard that they are thinking of making it into a movie, with Dakota Fanning and her little sister as Kate and Anna. I definitely think it would be one that could translate well into a movie.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it would make a great movie too. I picked up and am reading the 10th Circle. I find it interesting that in the two books I have read so far she makes the wife not very likeable or hard to like - if that makes sense.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    What I love that she does, is makes all the characters very human. Some I can't decide if I like, or dislike, I'll like certain things about them, and hate others, but no one is completely good or innocent, and no one is completely guilty or bad. Nineteen Minutes made me cry. It got you to look at school shooters from a completely different perspective and actually feel some sympathy for them, and feel maybe some anger at the victims. Her characters are all very human, and that's what I like so much about her writing.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I cried for days about Nineteen Minutes. I still tear up when I think about it. :(
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I cried for days about Nineteen Minutes. I still tear up when I think about it. :(

I cried too. I was teased a lot in school too, so it broke my heart to read the torture he went through. I felt so sorry for the character. I really get into books though, and care about the characters, imagine what they look like, etc.
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    I too love Jodi Piccoult. Have read all of her books and must admit that the Pact and Keeping Faith were my favourites. I have Mercy right now and believe it or not am having a difficult time getting interested. I should close it and retry next week! Can't believe I don't love it:evil:
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Add me to the list of Jodi Picoult lovers. I love her books!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frzyliz99frzyliz99 Posts: 2Registered Users
    add me to the list of Jodi fans too!

I emailed her a long time ago to compliment her writing (of course) and her beautiful curls, and she wrote back. She's so cool!

Who's read Change of Heart?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    frzyliz99 wrote: »
    add me to the list of Jodi fans too!

I emailed her a long time ago to compliment her writing (of course) and her beautiful curls, and she wrote back. She's so cool!

Who's read Change of Heart?

I am reading that now.

Anyone else hear that she is upset they may change the end of My Sister's Keeper for the movie? While I hated the ending (I wanted a happy ending-but I think the ending was what it needed to be) I think they should keep it that way for the movie.
    Central Massachusetts

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :read2:
    I LOVE Jodi Picolt books. The first one I read was My Sister's Keeper. It was one of the best books I've ever read. I couldn't put it down.

I also love the way she writes from different character's perspective.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Oh I just finished Picture Perfect. I really liked it. It wasn't as thought provoking as some of her others, but was one of my favorites.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    As I'm reading Perfect Match I'm asking myself, "Why does nearly every one of Jodi's books have adultry or near-adultry in them?" I don't get it.

ETA: I just finished Perfect Match. The adultry could have easily been left out of it and frankly it's getting old. That said, I enjoyed the book. It was very emotional for the main character and at times I had a hard time empathizing with her, but overall I liked the story.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I just finished the 10th Circle or something like that. I didn't like it as well as I liked her earlier books and, yeah, the adultery is there :)

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • JLowJLow Posts: 180Registered Users
    Notty I had a hard time getting into Mercy too, but I am glad that I finished it. Her books are either impossible to put down or slow going, but they always end up being enjoyable either way. I have read most of hers so far :)
    *Justine*
    3a/M/ii with some 2c thrown in some days just below shoulders (growing to mid back)
    CGish since 6/8/08 -- one low sulfate wash on 6/7 Completely CG since 8/8/08
    Loving Lavender mist, CG "Glisten to Me" spray, KBB hair milk and KCCC
    Currently Trying Pink Boots, Tightly Wound, KBB, Kenra condish and anything else I can get my hot little PJ hands on.
    http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Curly%20Hair/
  • JLowJLow Posts: 180Registered Users
    I read Change of Heart, I LOVED it. It took me a while to read it but it was a great story, but I was left with a lot of questions at the end.
    *Justine*
    3a/M/ii with some 2c thrown in some days just below shoulders (growing to mid back)
    CGish since 6/8/08 -- one low sulfate wash on 6/7 Completely CG since 8/8/08
    Loving Lavender mist, CG "Glisten to Me" spray, KBB hair milk and KCCC
    Currently Trying Pink Boots, Tightly Wound, KBB, Kenra condish and anything else I can get my hot little PJ hands on.
    http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Curly%20Hair/
  • texascurlytexascurly Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    JLow wrote: »
    I read Change of Heart, I LOVED it. It took me a while to read it but it was a great story, but I was left with a lot of questions at the end.

That's one thing that bothers me some about her books.. sometimes at the end I'm like...whaaattt???? For the most part I like her books..however I tried reading Keeping Faith twice and just can't get into it...
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    I understand that her son's English class in High School read My Sister's Keeper and was so mad at the ending of the book that he didn't talk to his Mom for days.........I find all her books are really about current topics - school shootings, mercy killings, sex abuse etc. etc. She has an awesome mind!
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Notty wrote: »
    I find all her books are really about current topics - school shootings, mercy killings, sex abuse etc. etc. She has an awesome mind!
    ITA. She is an amazing author. She has certainly raised the bar in my taste for books. She is such a smart writer that many of the other books I've read since her's are "fluffy" in comparison.
    I think I've read almost all of her's except for one. My favourite, by far, has been My Sister's Keeper.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file