Hair rant

Okay, so I've been fully CG for two weeks now, sort of a trial run since I'm more wavy than curly. Anyway, up until five days ago, I've been having pretty great hair days, rotating products.

Then, five days ago, I had a brain poot and decided to straighten my hair, just for kicks. At the end of the day, after I'd been curly all day, I used my old straightening iron on it and was shocked that, after years of straightening, it didn't get fully straight like it used to. So I pineappled it and went to bed. The next morning, I cowashed and did my usual routine but noticed where I'd had solid ringlets and spirals, I now had limp, unenthusiastic curls. And it's just gotten worse since then.

Today, I have this wavy, frizzy birdnest up on my head. I tried washing, thinking maybe it was build-up. Nope. It just got worse after I used GLS to wash.

Granted, we've had very humid weather here for a few days, which is VERY unusual, and nothing in my extensive product arsenal seems to be working. But I'm wondering if just those few strokes with a straightening iron undid all the work I have done over the past five months.

Sorry so long, but I'm just so sad. Thanks for listening. :(

Annie
Modified-CG, 2c, slightly protein-sensitive, color-treated
:sunny:
LA County, SoCal - Cool and some humidity FINALLY
Liking: Suave co-washes, LVPHG, homemade curl cream and DT
Loving: KCKT/KCCC/HESMU, Biolage, K-Pak reconstructor, SheaM

Comments

• lcaste1lcaste1 Posts: 105Registered Users
    I don't think that using the flat iron once would do that. I am growing my hair out from a chin length cut (now collar bone length), and somtimes I hate how it looks curly, so I straighten it. It still bounces back to curls after I re wet it and style it.

*My only suggestion is to do an ACV rinse and then a honey rinse or DT too moisturize. That should help. Let me know.
    Starting my curly resolution! 3a/3b with some waves thrown in. Haven't been CG in a while. Need product suggestions.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree i doubt it would be the straightening, my curls bounce back fine after doing that. Sometimes hair just goes crazy, mine does it regularly to my annoyance when nothing will work. I do hope you find an answer soon!
  • annielutzannielutz Posts: 209Registered Users
    I'll try the ACV in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions!

Annie
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. :sad8: Maybe a DT would help? :scratch:

My hair is much curlier now that it was when I straightened some days. I think it just didn't know how to behave. Maybe yours is similarly confused? :dontknow:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • bbbeccabbbecca Banned Posts: 232Banned Users
    Are you using a heat protectant when you straighten? If so, which one?
    "'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan.'"
    http://public.fotki.com/bbecca/hair-pics/
    pw-curls
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    when you claim in your nomination speech to the families of special needs children, "I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House" after having reduced funding for special needs education by 62%
    http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    Sorry to hear that. Since you were so new to CG I wonder if it was an issue of your hair just not being used to it's new condition, so your hair is now in transition. I have 3b hair and found my hair was easier to straighten after going CG, but I didn't try to straighten it until I had been CG for months. I had no issues with it getting curly again either.

Maybe stick with CG a bit longer before trying something new. And have no worries, your hair will go back to normal. :)
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. :sad8: Maybe a DT would help? :scratch:

My hair is much curlier now that it was when I straightened some days. I think it just didn't know how to behave. Maybe yours is similarly confused? :dontknow:

I think I may have scared it with the straightening iron. Maybe it's having flashbacks of being flattened into submission with a hot iron.

Becca, I didn't use a heat protectant. I was just bored one evening and broke out the straightening iron. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking.

I'm also having a rotten day at work...my poor boss came in and asked me a question, and I threw my head down, started bawling (SOOOO not me) and said, "Isn't it bad enough I'm having a terrible hair day?!" He backed slowly out of my office.

I think I'll just go home and spend the evening with Lifetime Movie Network and a wine cube.

Annie
  • SapphireMoonSapphireMoon Posts: 123Registered Users
    I dont think it was the sraightener either, maybe because you're a wavy you got too much moisture? And then after washing with the sulfates it striped too much moisture out? (I dont know what GLS is, sorry, but I am assuming that is a shampoo? with sulfates?).

I cant really give you any great advice since I am still trying to figure out my hair, but like lcaste1 said, an ACV rinse could help. Just make sure it isnt too concentrated, I used to put too much ACV and it would make my hair look bad. 2 cups water and 2 tbsp ACV works well for me.

Goodluck!
    -2c/3a

"For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day." -Audrey Hepburn

Fotki updated January 9 2009
    http://public.fotki.com/Sapphire-Moon/
    pswd: curls
    Well, just when I was thinking I should put my enormous stash of products on the swap board and begin straightening again, my hair began curling for me again. I didn't do anything different, not even an ACV rinse. Schizophrenic hair.

Sapphire, GLS is a Jessicurl shampoo. I haven't used sulfates or cones for a few months now.

Annie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file