transitioning to whole milk

subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
majerle is self weaning from breastfeeding so i decided to start giving her whole milk. shes used to juice and flavored water, so when i put milk in her sippy cup yesterday i think it caught her off gaurd and she spit it out and threw her cup. fast forward 24 hours and shes still not too fond of the milk. its always the same thing where she takes a sip, spits it out, throws the cup. should i keep giving her milk until she gets used to it or go back to juice or alternate between the two?

also, she still refusing to eat anything but whole bananas. how long does a phase like this last????

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Maybe try pumping and mixing breast milk & whole milk in the cup for awhile? We did that and slowly added more and milk and less formula. Has she tried Toast? My kid is obsessed with toast. My house is crumb-city!!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    My son never took to whole milk straight up. I had to make him fresh fruit smoothies (milk, bananas, cantaloupe and strawberries) every day for 4 years.

My daughter, OTOH, eventually started on plain whole milk after her 2nd birthday. She went from breastmilk to vanilla soy milk, because she hated cow's milk so much. Eventually she took whole milk flavored with vanilla NesQuik. We called it baby crack (we stopped calling it that when she started saying it too). Then one day we stopped putting the vanilla NesQuik in her milk. She noticed but didn't care at that point.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I had the same reaction. I tried it with soy and with regular milk. Then it dawned on me to provide my son calcium and other nutrients with other types of food. Problem solved.

Although with your only bannana issue, I can see how this can be an issue. I'd just keep experimenting with other foods - maybe yogurt or cheese, or dark leafy veggies mixed pureed with bananas.
    hello.world.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Curl Novice Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I put sugar-free Nesquik in Danae's milk. She also really loves cheese and yogurt, so those might be options, too. Yo-Baby makes a nice organic yogurt.

Bananas only, huh? Does she like any other fruit? Since summer is almost here, maybe she'll start liking other fresh fruits, at least.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i cant seem to let down enough to pump breastmilk and mix it with the whole milk (thats why i had to stop pumping in the first place) but i can express it by hand. i considered starting her off with soy milk but i went with organic whole milk instead. maybe i'll get a single serving of soy milk and see how that goes. im definitely going to get some nestle though. she'd like that.

as far as the bananas go, this whole thing is totally new. she used to be a good eater. shed eat anything and everything with no problems and then 2 weeks ago she decided that she'll only eat bananas. foods that i know she loves (yobaby yogurt is her baby crack) she wont eat anymore. and i cant trick her into eating anything else because if its not in whole banana form, she wont eat it.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    My kids never liked whole milk, and still don't. We just did 2%. They did like yogurt and cheese, so I wasn't worried about it.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    i cant seem to let down enough to pump breastmilk and mix it with the whole milk (thats why i had to stop pumping in the first place) but i can express it by hand. i considered starting her off with soy milk but i went with organic whole milk instead. maybe i'll get a single serving of soy milk and see how that goes. im definitely going to get some nestle though. she'd like that.

as far as the bananas go, this whole thing is totally new. she used to be a good eater. shed eat anything and everything with no problems and then 2 weeks ago she decided that she'll only eat bananas. foods that i know she loves (yobaby yogurt is her baby crack) she wont eat anymore. and i cant trick her into eating anything else because if its not in whole banana form, she wont eat it.

I can imagine that you're fustrated. I've heard of kids going on wierd hunger diets and not to worry about it as long as they poop/pee ok. but I'm not sure how long is acceptable.

Maybe you can look at chocolate flavored protien powders that would be kid-friendly (ask someone with a clue - besides me).
    hello.world.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    don't worry those food jags and the aversion to cow's milk are normal. Nursing toddlers when asked what breastmilk tastes like compared it to sweet cantaloupe, the creamiest vanilla ice cream, etc. so it's no wonder that cow's milk is less than thrilling to her right now LOL.

She really doesn't need the cow's milk like Webbie mentioned. There are plenty of sources of calcium and vitamin D in other foods so don't let it stress you.

As far as the food jags, totally normal. A good way to look at toddler nutrition is their intake over the course of a week or two vs. throughout the day. They truly have odd (to us) feeding habits at that age when they're mastering the whole eating and solids thing. So yes she can probably subsist on bananas for a while and then she'll move onto something else.

Doesn't mean you stop offering other stuff, just be sure to offer super tiny servings and then serve her as many times as she needs. Most of all don't stress about it. You don't even need to get creative to get her to eat stuff, just eat the food yourself and serve her as well. That's all it will take.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    oh and here's a good kellymom article on toddler nutrition:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html

here's a list from dr. sears on calcium rich foods:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t040600.asp#T040603

some info from dr. jay gordon's site on cow's milk:

http://www.nutritionadvocate.com/story/milk_myth.html

another dr. sears blurb on cow's milk intro:

http://askdrsears.com/faq/fn1.asp
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users

My son has gone through stages like this as well. I was concerned and worried that my great eater had suddenly become picky. Before long, he got over it and was back to being an adventurous eater.

One other thing that helped for us was letting him feed himself more, either finger foods or trying to use a spoon on his own. When he could be more independent with his eating, he was more willing to eat a wide variety.
    ehLB.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My toddlers could subsist some days on 3 grains of rice and a pea. Other days they'd eat anything that didn't eat them first. Human babies don't need cow milk anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just keep offering nutritious food and she'll eat/drink eventually.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    marielle448 and RCW said exactly what I would have said. It's hard not to get anxious about it...heck even I get a little worked up from time to time. I find if I don't make a big deal about what he eats or how much of it...he usually comes around and eats what's in front of him.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    r off gaurd and she spit it out and threw her cup. fast forward 24 hours and shes still not too fond of the milk.

I don't blame her. Milk is nasty. :tongue5:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...I couldn't drink cow's milk as a child and still don't like it.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file