loc'd lady about to go unloc'd

renea56renea56 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone,

I guess I'm an old/new member. I was a part of naturallycurly.com years ago when I initially went natural. It was a great resource and helped me from doing too many crazy things as I got used to my newly unpermed hair. I found out I had 4a hair and that knowledge made me be more realistic about the type of curls I would have. (my hair will never naturally look like Cree Summer's hair and I'm ok with that).

I'm now back! I've had locs that I started with braids for almost 5 years and I'm ready to make another big chop. I'm going from locs to a fro so now I need assistance with this big step. I look forward to chatting with all of you ladies in the curly community and learning new ways to maintain our curly hair!

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    How exciting it must be to be back starting something new - welcome!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    We're so glad you've come back to us! Keep us posted on your changes!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • PurpleCurly7PurpleCurly7 Registered Users Posts: 240
    Welcome back Renea56! :toothy7:

Best of luck with your transition from locs to fro.
    3a brunette, medium texture and density.

CG since 5/16/2008.

Growing out an eeevil :evil1: haircut with 4 layers on the left side and 6 layers on the right side.
    Currently using: Aubrey Organics' White Camelia, Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner and Island Naturals for co-wash. Alternating My Honey Child's : Caribbean Curling Creme, Honey Guava Balm, and Coconut Milk; and Moptop's Gel on top for styling.

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Welcome back and good luck!

My only advice is... be really careful combing out the part you are keeping! Take your time and spare no expense on plenty of conditioner. If you get too tired, even stop for the day and do some more the next day.

I once tried to loc up my hair. After a week, I panicked. So I combed it out. Even after only a week, I had to sit in the bathtub with conditioner for about 8 hours combing. (Nothing about this is meant to be negative towards locs in any way, obviously I think they are beautiful or I would not have tried. Mine would have probably turned out like crap anyway, they were completely DIY and I didn't have much idea what I was doing.)
  • ShonesShones Registered Users Posts: 244
    Hello Renea56! I was loc'ed for 5 years before I did a BC in January of this year. There are at least a handful of us who have transitioned from loc'ed to free curly/coily, mostly on the 3c to 4a boards.

Are you trying to preserve some of your length before chopping (such as chopping halfway and then combing out your locs)? I know it takes literally a few days to do it, but in retrospect, I wish I had taken the time because now I'm waiting -- patiently! arg! -- for months to get what I could have had with four days of combing.

Anyhow, glad to see you! Look forward to seeing more posts from you soon.

:wink:
    Natural since '97 - 8 yrs loc'ed, free-form since then :)
    Blog: http://curlysweetlife.blogspot.com
    Twitter: ShoniFree
    YouTube: Shonesters
    Fearfully and wonderfully made in His likeness and image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file