shikakai

Does anyone use Shikakai powder?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikakai

"Shikakai Powder acts as a natural astringent for hair enhancing its binding properties. It clears dandruff and cleans the dirt accumulated on the scalp. Being a natural conditioner for hair, SHIKAKAI strengthens hair roots and promotes luxuriant growth. Hesh Shikakai powder has certain vital properties that act as coolants for the scalp. This powder has to be mixed with water and used as a paste on the hair instead of shampoo.

- Provides new life to hair strands
- Strengthens hair roots
- Increases bounciness and silkiness of hair
- Clears dandruff
- Keeps the scalp clean and cool.

I've just started using it after hearing about it in another no 'poo community, and my hair is so lovely and soft :) It's very cheap... worth a try.

You can get it from various places online.
Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
- Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
- Shikakai powder
- Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly

Comments

• nikkimwnikkimw Posts: 113Registered Users
    Hi miralaluna,

I used to use it as a child ... and my hair was a lot healthier then. It definitely is very good for your hair. I am just starting off my noo poo routine so I might switch to it now.
    3A. Total PJ :love5: ! Modified CG (low poo 2-3x a month)
    Goal : BSL dry Current: SL
    Products
    Biotique Biowalnut/BioKelp, VO5 Condish, Aveda Be Curly/Aloe Vera Gel, Aveda Phomollient (day2 and 3),Water w/ AVG +Rosemary + lavender DT: Macadamia oil w/ Rosemary + lavender EO

http://public.fotki.com/nikkimw
    PW : curlygirl
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    I just bought the shikakai soap for my hair and face. I don't know what the difference is with the soap and powder. I don't know if it's CG friendly. But I'm loving the results. So far the benefits are great!
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    Well the powder is just the natural shikakai, straight from the plant. It hasn't been mixed with anything or saponified.

I wasn´t having great results with it at first, although my hair felt very soft it was becoming a bit fluffy and the curls weren't very defined. However, I have started diluting about half a tablespoon in 500ml water and washing my hair with that about once or twice a week. It has been working very well. Sometimes I'll do an apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards if I want to make sure my curls are properly defined.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• ChrysovyiChrysovyi Posts: 110Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried shikakai for the first time today and I'm really pleased so far. I've been having problems with my scalp and today it feels really clean but not stripped, and I've got no scalp irritation at all. Sulfate poos used to make me itch when I used them, but so do low-poos and the brown sugar scrub makes my scalp flare up badly. The shikakai is gritty enough to exfoliate and gets rid of that gunky feel. I forgot my leave-in today, but my hair feels really soft without it.

I bought some aritha too, but I've not tried that yet. I think that's more likely to be the equivalent of a low poo.
  • Cheeks1206Cheeks1206 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Is this something that I can only get online or in a specialty store? It sounds interesting, I may want to try it.
    I've only ever bought it online, but I've been told that it's easy to find in Indian or Pakistani grocery stores. It is also very cheap and you need only use a small amount (not always the quantity specified on the box!).
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    Hi,
    I was wondering does it have a strong smell? Also, does it help with reduce frizz?
    And does anyone know if it is in a cg friendly shampoo, I forget which brand I saw it in , but, I don't know if it was cg. thanks , I really appreciate any info. tia
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
    The smell reminds me a bit of raisins for some reason. It is not strong once you rinse it out of your hair. Because it doesn't strip your hair, it will help with frizz if you don't use it too often and make sure to keep your hair moisturised (by brushing your natural oil through the lengths of your hair or by adding other oils e.g. jojoba, olive).

I tend to mix about a half a teaspoon of the powder into a dollop of CG-friendly conditioner and massage it into my scalp about once or twice a week.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I only used it once and I really liked it. I need to go back to the Indian store and buy another small box. I think I paid $1.99 for it.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    The powder is a staple of mine. I mix mine with lemon juice and Amla oil. My hair is very strong. I alternate between this and the Amla powder once a month.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • SweetpeasSweetpeas Posts: 58Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I only used it once and I really liked it. I need to go back to the Indian store and buy another small box. I think I paid $1.99 for it.

Yes that it the same price that I paid for mine as well. So far so good. By the way I really like your siggy. :wink:
    Currently Transitioning!!!
    Co-Wash 2x per week: PM The Detangler
    Scalp Cleanser 1x per month: V05 Con mixed w/ Brown Sugar
    Leave-In: PM The Conditioner Leave-In
    Styling Gel Staple: PM Spray Gel
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    Shikakai is what's up! I used it a few days ago instead of my reg. gentle shampoo and my hair was curlier and shinier! Can't get much better than that!
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    yogagirl wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering does it have a strong smell? Also, does it help with reduce frizz?
    And does anyone know if it is in a cg friendly shampoo, I forget which brand I saw it in , but, I don't know if it was cg. thanks , I really appreciate any info. tia

I actually just bought a new CG low-poo w/ this v. ingredient in it! It's ShiKai Everyday Shampoo, I've only used it once but so far the results are promising. The fragrance is light and flowery. Here are the ingredients:
    purified water, aloe vera (aloe barbadensis) gel*, ShiKai extract (acacia concinna)**, olefin sulfonate, cocoamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, cocoamide MEA, glycerin (vegetable), salt, panthenol, citric acid, diazolidinyl urea, fragrance.
    The highlighted is the scientific name for shikakai.

pinkwolf wrote: »
    The powder is a staple of mine. I mix mine with lemon juice and Amla oil. My hair is very strong. I alternate between this and the Amla powder once a month.

And to top it off, it's matching conditioner (Everyday Conditioner) has alma seed oil in it!! Again, I've only used this product once, but I have a feeling this is going to be a warm-weather staple for me. My hair has been v. weighed-down recently, and this stuff has so far moisturized my hair w/o the heaviness. Here are the ingredients:
    purified water, cetearyl alcohol/ceteareth-20, glycerin (vegetable), avocado (persea gratissima) oil, amla (amlica embilicus) seed oil**, jojoba (simmondsia chinensis) oil, behentrimonium chloride, amodimethicone, panthenol, guar powder,
    diazolidinyl urea, fragrance.
    Here's the ShiKai website, in case anyone wants to check it out! http://www.shikai.com/products/natural_hair_care.htm
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

My hair has never been in better condition. I love this stuff. It works best for me mixed in with a little CG-friendly conditioner.

I would still like to transition to "water only", but I tried that before and my entire head of hair looked like it was constantly wet... mmm! I'll try again with renewed patience eventually...
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• Chelley MaeChelley Mae Posts: 359Registered Users
    Thanks for this link...I've been trying to find a gentle cleanser for my hair since just co-washing seems to make my hair limp.

So, should I do this once a week then?
    2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
    Mod CG
    Currently Using:
    Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
    Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
    Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
    Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Recently I have been using it just whenever my hair starts to get greasy, which is usually every 4 or 5 days. In between I just use water and a little conditioner or ACV on the ends.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• knotnotknottodayknotnotknottoday Posts: 51Registered Users
    i saw the skakai everyday shampoo at a health food store near my home yesterday and picked it up. i am just starting CG, and after four days shampoo-less and a greasy day yesterday, felt that i might need to start off modified and then gradually wean myself off shampoo. i washed my roots with this today and my hair looks and feels clean but not stripped. i will probably continue to use this whenever i start to feel really gunky. thanks for the recommendation!
    Glad I could help :) Let us know how you're getting on.

I'm still using this stuff and have just ordered another two boxes. My hair loves it.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• kerlydookerlydoo Posts: 253Registered Users
    I want to get some Shikakai powder. I just have a couple of questions.

When I was looking for it on line, one site said it was for dark hair. Is this true? I have strawberry blone hair.

Also, when I'm there should I pick up anything else? Is there anything else you would recommend for dry, color treated hair?

TIA
    3a/3b, m/iii, color treated, parched
    ^ I have fairly light hair and it hasn't affected the colour. However, I don't use it very often and I mix it with conditioner, so maybe that has to do with it. Perhaps if you used it in a more concentrated amount and more frequently it would darken your hair a little.

I also find that an apple cider vinegar rinse helps with dryness.
    No 'poo since May 2007

- Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

• swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    This seems to be the popular online brand. Is this what you all are using?
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

• mymi7887mymi7887 Posts: 24Registered Users
    If I can't find this powder is there a CG friendly shampoo that I can try? I tried cowashing and my hair does not like it very much. Also the climate I live in is quite humid.

event.png

event.png

• swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    If I can't find this powder is there a CG friendly shampoo that I can try? I tried cowashing and my hair does not like it very much. Also the climate I live in is quite humid.

In my post just above there is a link to order it from Amazon.com. That might work for you unless you don't want to order online.

There are CG shampoos, too. I don't have time to post any links right now, but some searches around the boards will give you lots of ideas.
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08

IWantCurls wrote: »
    This seems to be the popular online brand. Is this what you all are using?

That's the brand I ordered on line.

Here's a quote from kasey314:

actually just bought a new CG low-poo w/ this v. ingredient in it! It's ShiKai Everyday Shampoo, I've only used it once but so far the results are promising. The fragrance is light and flowery. Here are the ingredients:

purified water, aloe vera (aloe barbadensis) gel*, ShiKai extract (acacia concinna)**, olefin sulfonate, cocoamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, cocoamide MEA, glycerin (vegetable), salt, panthenol, citric acid, diazolidinyl urea, fragrance.

The highlighted is the scientific name for shikakai.

And to top it off, it's matching conditioner (Everyday Conditioner) has alma seed oil in it!! Again, I've only used this product once, but I have a feeling this is going to be a warm-weather staple for me. My hair has been v. weighed-down recently, and this stuff has so far moisturized my hair w/o the heaviness. Here are the ingredients:
    purified water, cetearyl alcohol/ceteareth-20, glycerin (vegetable), avocado (persea gratissima) oil, amla (amlica embilicus) seed oil**, jojoba (simmondsia chinensis) oil, behentrimonium chloride, amodimethicone, panthenol, guar powder,
    diazolidinyl urea, fragrance.

Here's the ShiKai website, in case anyone wants to check it out! http://www.shikai.com/products/natural_hair_care.htm
  • SIMASIMA Posts: 83Registered Users
    Hi,I bought shikakai and don't know how I can use it, does it make hair frizzy because my hair is very frizzy and how do I wash it out my hair, I used it once and it was like henna hard to wash it out of your hair.thank you for this site.lovesima
  • vwlizardvwlizard Posts: 91Registered Users
    Dr. Bronner's makes a shikakai soap now. It comes in a pump bottle and was near the hand soaps at my WholeFoods. I love the Baby version (unscented) and use it on my kids as well.

It's also great as soap. When I use this my kids get rid of all of their dry spots and my nails look amazing.

Liz
    SIMA wrote: »
    Hi,I bought shikakai and don't know how I can use it, does it make hair frizzy because my hair is very frizzy and how do I wash it out my hair, I used it once and it was like henna hard to wash it out of your hair.thank you for this site.lovesima

I used it with just water. Making a paste and my hair felt stripped and it was hard to rinse out. I want to try using it like miralaluna. Mixing it with conditioner and using it to scrub my scalp.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kerlydoo wrote: »
    I want to get some Shikakai powder. I just have a couple of questions.

When I was looking for it on line, one site said it was for dark hair. Is this true? I have strawberry blone hair.

Also, when I'm there should I pick up anything else? Is there anything else you would recommend for dry, color treated hair?

TIA

I was curious about the color issue, too. I noticed that I received a bar of shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand with my cassia order. I am a nopooer--so I didn't know if I could use this or not. Of course, I never thought of it prior to reading this thread--LOL!!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    I was curious about the color issue, too. I noticed that I received a bar of shikakai soap with marigold and jaswand with my cassia order. I am a nopooer--so I didn't know if I could use this or not. Of course, I never thought of it prior to reading this thread--LOL!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I just saw this.

When I was searching for shikakai powder I came across alma powder. Alma powder can also be used to darken the hair. So, I just wanted to make sure the shikakai wouldn't do the same. I have used it and it didn't do anything to the color of my hair. Or, anything that I noticed. I'm not certain about the marigold and jaswand. Have you tried using it yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file