Just made the big chop...what do I do now?

collectiveelementscollectiveelements Posts: 7Registered Users
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I have transitioned from relaxed to natural several times over the past 17 years but this is the first time I've gone for the big chop rather than cutting the relaxer alittle at a time. So I'm at a loss what to do with this straight/curly little fro. My beautician cut my hair today. She used MissJessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Meringue-p-576.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-meringue]Curly Meringue[/buylink] but I've found it to leave my hair gummy. (I have also found this to be true with my daughter's hair.) I'm open to any other suggestions.

More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/collectiveelements/sets/72157604743737920/

2442923647_0571543a5b_o.jpg

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG congratulations!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• collectiveelementscollectiveelements Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks so much! I'm playing with a bit to see what I can do with it so short.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Congratulations on your BC! :D

It looks cute on you.

With it being so short, you can probably just co-wash mostly and either use a moisturizing leave-in or if you want more definition, a gel. A lot of ladies have good experiences using the Fantasia IC gel with Sparkelites. It's too heavy for my (baby fine) hair, but my daughter likes it - her hair has tighter curl definition and is more medium to coarse. It's really trial and error.

As it grows out you could probably experiment with headbands, scarves, flowers, and other accessories.

I never used Miss Jessie's but I have a tub of Barry Fletcher Custard and it did the same thing to my hair - left a gummy film. Right now I'm mostly using my rinse out conditioner mixed with gel and experimenting with other products when I don't have to be presentable. ;)

Good luck!
    I washed it this morning with VO5 (For some reason my hair has always loved it) and put in a leave in conditioner. After that I wrapped it with a scarf to make it lay a bit sleeker.
  • jonesybirdjonesybird Posts: 141Registered Users
    Did I hear someone mention Fantasia Gel with the sparkle lites? lol!

Congrats on the Big Chop!!!!! It looks great!
    Yeah, I love that gel. Will never use another.
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    Congratulations!!I can't really suggest but you can try some products that are suggested here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

You can also start co washing i belive AO,Suave and V05 are good.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I washed it this morning with VO5 (For some reason my hair has always loved it) and put in a leave in conditioner. After that I wrapped it with a scarf to make it lay a bit sleeker.
    Start thinking outside the 'make it lay down and behave' box. Just scrunch it with your fingers with a nice curl cream, leave-in or gel and enjoy the texture and shape.

Recommendations
    - Alba Botanical leave-in
    - Sheamoisture Sheabutter leave in
    - Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly
    - IC Fantasia is good (dries slow)
    - Devacrl Set it Free

Deep treatment
    - [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Herbal-Reconditioner-p-380.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-herbal-reconditioning-treatment]Blended Beauty Herbal reconditioner[/buylink]
    - Bentonite or Rhassoul clay and water.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Start thinking outside the 'make it lay down and behave' box. Just scrunch it with your fingers with a nice curl cream, leave-in or gel and enjoy the texture and shape.

I agree with SBB 100%! :thumbup:

One of the great things about doing the BC is that you get to experience and enjoy your natural texture starting in a small way.

Right now I have about 5 inches all around and I can't wait for it to get bigger! :blob7: My favorite style is to wear a headband or scarf and make the back of my hair as BIG as possible. I let it dry with the products in it so it has it's own curl, then I grab sections and pull so it's stretched a bit.

Who wants flat and sleek when you can have wild and sexy? ;)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    congrats on your BC!

when i did my BC, the only product i used for styling was a leave in conditioner. that was it.
    enjoy the simplicity and beauty of your BC while you can. you look great!
    Congrats on getting an awesome BC! It looks so good, it truly suits you!
    Start thinking outside the 'make it lay down and behave' box

LOL...I was in no way implying that I wanted it to lay down and behave. :wink: More that the hair didn't have any form yet because it wasn't curling yet so I bought a du-rag to make it lay in waves for a few days. (Like my brother wears his hair.)

Since Saturday, my hair has gotten over the "shock" of being cut so the curls are great now. I've been rinsing with warm water in the morning and adding a dab of gel.
    And thanks so much to everyone for their compliments and feedback!!:toothy7:
    I picked up these brushes also.
    My scalp feels great after using this one.
    41XStu-wJEL._SS500_.jpg
    And I picked this one up today for my daughter's hair but I think I may keep for myself and get the ouchless one for her.
    31tXDvy%2Bt7L._SS500_.jpg
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    Start thinking outside the 'make it lay down and behave' box
    LOL...I was in no way implying that I wanted it to lay down and behave. :wink: More that the hair didn't have any form yet because it wasn't curling yet so I bought a du-rag to make it lay in waves for a few days. (Like my brother wears his hair.)

Since Saturday, my hair has gotten over the "shock" of being cut so the curls are great now. I've been rinsing with warm water in the morning and adding a dab of gel.

I'm glad you found something that works for you :)
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • CurlySunshineCurlySunshine Posts: 24Registered Users
    I wish I had half the courage you do!:occasion7:
    Type: 3B/3C
    Using: Aubrey Organics JAY Desert Herb Shampoo, Aubrey Organics
    Jojoba & Aloe Desert Herb Conditioner, DevaCurl Set It Free and Curl Friends Gel.:) And currently loving CurlFormers- curly rods.:blob7:
  • mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Posts: 421Registered Users
    congrats on ur BC! looks good. and i agree with everyone else, take this time out to enjoy ur new texture.
  • mommamellymommamelly Posts: 1Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your post. I'm feeling the same way about my hair. My BC was on Mon. Oct. 10th. I must admit that my hair feels much better, but now I have no idea, what to do with it. Does anyone have suggestions for daily care---things to do---products to use, etc?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file