Which Is Better, CO washing with Cheapie Conditioner or High Priced Conditioner?

pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
Hello everyone,

Recently I've noticed that I stopped using my beloved Suave conditioner and switched to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Coconut-Sublime-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-880.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Coconut-Sublime-Moisturizing-Conditioner]Curls Coconut Sublime Conditioner[/buylink] for my conditioner washes. I must say that the results are amazing with the Curls product. :blob7:

I wanted to know if you've noticed better results when CO washing with cheapie conditioner or higher priced conditioners? Or even if you don't see anything different please share your experience.

Thanks again everyone. :icescream:
*Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
, Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
Styler:
KCCC
Leave-In: KCKT
Moisturizer:
Whipped Shea Butter
Oil/Sealant:
EVCO, Jojoba

Comments

• stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    I think it depends on the person. Because, I feel that I get the same results or effects from co washing with a cheap conditioner as I would with an expensive one. But this doesn’t mean that I would run out to buy a high-end conditioner to replace my cheap one simply because I know how I “sprint” through conditioners and my hair is always and forever thirsty so it would be a dumb move on my part to splurge on a conditioner and then finish it by the end of the week/ 2 wks only to run out again and splurge some more… I would definitely be too broke to continue my bad-PJistic-just made that up- habits. Or purchase any hair goodies… :/
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Cheap is better, simply because the more I use the better it works. I can't bear using a decent amount of good stuff. Plus all my expensive conditioners are too heavy to do a good job anyway, probably.
  • SweetpeasSweetpeas Posts: 58Registered Users
    I perfer to use the more expensive one's because I feel that they coat my hai rbetter. However I only use a dime size of the product daily.
    Currently Transitioning!!!
    Co-Wash 2x per week: PM The Detangler
    Scalp Cleanser 1x per month: V05 Con mixed w/ Brown Sugar
    Leave-In: PM The Conditioner Leave-In
    Styling Gel Staple: PM Spray Gel
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    Co wash..with a cheapie one like sauve coconut is better because it costs more to do a co wash with the highpriced one every time.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    I co-washed for the first time this past weekend. I initially considered getting a cheap conditioner because I knew I would be using a lot. My concern was the ingredients in the cheap conditioners (alcohol and cones). I ended up going to Whole Foods and buying two of the most natural conditioner I could find. Since it was too thick, I mixed it with distilled water (half/half). So what do you CG's think? Are you comfortable with the bad stuff to avoid the poo?
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I use a lot of conditioner. I go through a bottle a week. I need lots for detangling and moisturizing, and I could not justify splurging on high-end conditioners that will run out quickly. I don't notice much of a difference in quality, but that's just me.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • abbey roseabbey rose Posts: 20Registered Users
    aricurl wrote: »
    I co-washed for the first time this past weekend. I initially considered getting a cheap conditioner because I knew I would be using a lot. My concern was the ingredients in the cheap conditioners (alcohol and cones). I ended up going to Whole Foods and buying two of the most natural conditioner I could find. Since it was too thick, I mixed it with distilled water (half/half). So what do you CG's think? Are you comfortable with the bad stuff to avoid the poo?

I actually noticed that the 365 brand and a lot of other not-so-expensive brands of conditioner at Whole Foods have PEGs, or polyethylene glycols, which are known irritants and give me exzema!

In fact, I have experienced difficulty with many "organic" and "natural" brands that have seemingly "ok" ingredients. :(

Suave naturals, on the other hand, have never irritated me, and the next cheapest thing I can use is around $10 so I'll stick w/ those for an inexpensive co wash :)

However, I have been experimenting w/ my making my own conditioner so we'll see how that goes....
  • sheryshery Posts: 21Registered Users
    I like the expensive conditioners best, when I used the cheap conditioner my scalp felt like it was coated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I've been sulfates free since 1/1/08. length 43" Thick, coarse, porous, wavy hair with spirals. Products used: WEN Cleansing Conditioner(Tea Tree, Fig, and Sweet Almond) Devacurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Conditioner. On Feb 2, 09 I had an awesome customer service experience w/ Devachan-Thanks!!!
  • tmmycattmmycat Posts: 256Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    i also have a really hard time finding cheap conditioners that don't irritate my skin, so I use expensive conditioner for everything and my skin is happy...

the conditioner I'm using right now is $10 for 8 ounces which is pretty expensive but I have seen conditioners twice as expensive as that with even less irritating ingredients. it seems like the less irritating I want, the more I have to pay. it makes me want to cook my own conditioner because that would probably be cheaper
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users

There are a lot of cheap conditioners, i.e, Suave & Vo5 to name a couple, that don't have alcohol and cones.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • live2dream88live2dream88 Posts: 98Registered Users
    I just bought some Suave Naturals coconut yesterday because of all the good reviews- it was 87 cents!! Tried it this morning as a co-wash. I'm still on the fence about it. My scalp does feel itchy and there's some buildup, but I don't know if it came from that cuz I also used a new conditioner (Burts Bees DC) and used Mop-C for the first time. Guess I'll keep trying!

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

pw: curlygirl

:color:"Peace comes from within, do not seek it without..."
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    I just bought some Suave Naturals coconut yesterday because of all the good reviews- it was 87 cents!! Tried it this morning as a co-wash. I'm still on the fence about it. My scalp does feel itchy and there's some buildup, but I don't know if it came from that cuz I also used a new conditioner (Burts Bees DC) and used Mop-C for the first time. Guess I'll keep trying!

The build-up could be from the Burt's Bees. When I use that I have to rinse it out very well or else I end up with bad build up.

I've been using the "birthday present" Aveda condish for my cowashes and as a leave-in under gel with awesome results. But I know when that runs out I'll have to find a cheaper alternative. I think Suave is at the top of my list to try. :)
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): http://flickr.com/photos/eponaaran/sets/72157610671796089/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Suave Naturals work great and they're less than $2.

Speckla
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My concern was the ingredients in the cheap conditioners (alcohol and cones).

There are alcohols that are good for hair. Isopropyl Alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) is bad. However, Cetyl Alcohol is very moisturizing, and is found in most conditioners. All White Rain conditioners are, to my knowledge, CG. The "naturals" and "tea" lines, along with other individual conditioners, from Vo5 and Suave are also CG.
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    I generally just use cheap ones, but the results really vary. My hair did not like the Suave Naturals range even though I assumed it would be ideal. Boo.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • DaywalkerDaywalker Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hi, First post here!! :toothy7:

Does anyone know what the equivalent to Suave Naturals would be in Australia?
    I hear Suave mentioned all the time but I have no idea what it looks like, if there is one that goes under a different name etc! I am desperate to try the CO route again, I have done it in the past but always had itchy scalp trouble. I wash everyday and my hair is very fine, I can't NOT wash it as it looks dark and filthy the next day! I don't blow dry but I want to get more moisture into it to bring out my curls!!
    Please help!!!
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    Daywalker wrote: »
    Hi, First post here!! :toothy7:

Does anyone know what the equivalent to Suave Naturals would be in Australia?
    I hear Suave mentioned all the time but I have no idea what it looks like, if there is one that goes under a different name etc! I am desperate to try the CO route again, I have done it in the past but always had itchy scalp trouble. I wash everyday and my hair is very fine, I can't NOT wash it as it looks dark and filthy the next day! I don't blow dry but I want to get more moisture into it to bring out my curls!!
    Please help!!!

How about VO5 or Aussie? :-) Are these available there?

Sent from my N861 using CurlTalk App

Styler:
    KCCC
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • mycurlytressesmycurlytresses Posts: 275Registered Users
    I was using Suave Coconut but switched to Tresseme Naturals Jojoba and Coconut which is still cheap to some (but expensive for me). The slip is better with the Tresseme and I don't lose as much hair when detangling so it's worth it to me to pay the $6 versus the $1.87.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlTalk App
    3C, CG Method, Low porosity, Low density, Medium Width

event.png

:afro:
  • joseybirdjoseybird Posts: 90Registered Users
    I prefer to use more pricey conditioners as leave-ins, not as co-washes.

I use co-washes meant for the purpose more than I use conditioners to wash my hair. I have 2 different L'Oreal co-washes, As I Am co-wash (cheaper per oz than L'Oreal!!), and Ouidad co-wash, and I have gotten similar results with each one (good ones).

But I really think that, unless a cleanser is really stripping, my LI and styler have a bigger impact on how my hair looks and feels than what cleanser or even what DT I use (I cleanse and DT - with a DT or heavy conditioner - at night).
    3a - Fine, thin, non-porous hair - boo! :(

Shampoo: SM shampoos

Clarifying Shampoo: KC Come Clean

Co-Wash: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioners, As I Am Co-Wash

Hair Gel: L.A. Looks Sport, KCCC, SM Curling Souffle

DT Conditioner: SM Raw Shea Masque, SM Raw Shea conditioner + coconut oil, GVPCB

LI Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, KCKT, VO5 shea + SM baby oil

Curl Enhancers: L.A. Looks Beachy Waves, Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray. AG re:coil
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I use Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Butter conditioner, and its perfection for my hair. I go through a bottle every 2-3 weeks. I usually buy 2 at a time for about $20 and change from target
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    +1 for the SM SB masque. its a staple of mine. :) I have never tried the SM SB conditioner but have heard rave reviews about it. I only go to Target for my SM products because they seem to be cheaper there versus Walgreens & CVS!

Styler:
    KCCC
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • redbreredbre Posts: 29Registered Users

I'm definitely not. I absolutely love the Tresemme Naturals conditioner for cowashing, but I hate the ingredients. I've tried quite a few organic and/or natural conditioners and nothing has compared. They're excellent rinse outs or DC's, but they don't get the job done cowash wise (sensitive, oily scalp).

I'm currently trying the As I Am Coconut CoWash and I really like it. That may be the closest I get to a "natural" cowash. Unless of course I decide to go the juices and berries way...
    redbre wrote: »

I'm definitely not. I absolutely love the Tresemme Naturals conditioner for cowashing, but I hate the ingredients. I've tried quite a few organic and/or natural conditioners and nothing has compared. They're excellent rinse outs or DC's, but they don't get the job done cowash wise (sensitive, oily scalp).

I'm currently trying the As I Am Coconut CoWash and I really like it. That may be the closest I get to a "natural" cowash. Unless of course I decide to go the juices and berries way...

I just remembered that Shea Moisture came out with a cowash conditioner. Maybe that's the answer for those who want a natural alternative.

Sadly, I can't use it because my hair hates the coconut and hibiscus line. :(
  • LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    I just remembered that Shea Moisture came out with a cowash conditioner. Maybe that's the answer for those who want a natural alternative.

The C&H cowash is not formulated like the rest of the pink line. I think the ingredients are posted in the "new shea moisture " thread. I really like the cowash but find the rest of the pink line too heavy and stinky-sweet. The cowash has a light coconut smell.

I have had much better results with products labeled cowash, cleansing conditioner, etc. in general they are lighter than regular conditioner but not as stripping as lo-poos.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
    Lynaea wrote: »

The C&H cowash is not formulated like the rest of the pink line. I think the ingredients are posted in the "new shea moisture " thread. I really like the cowash but find the rest of the pink line too heavy and stinky-sweet. The cowash has a light coconut smell.

I have had much better results with products labeled cowash, cleansing conditioner, etc. in general they are lighter than regular conditioner but not as stripping as lo-poos.

That's good news! Maybe I'll give it a try. I'm always on the search for a good cowash conditioner with good ingredients.

I'm not a fan of the smell of that line, either. It gets old very quickly.
  • lirontockerlirontocker Posts: 12Registered Users
    The decision if to use a cheaper or more expensive conditioner is a bit more complex in my case. I have horrible scalp eczema, so products with an excess of chemical irritants or those low in the moisture department will not work well for me.

Some more expensive cleansing conditioners have a lot of peppermint or salicylic acid, which worsen the condition of my scalp. I prefer to use a cheaper conditioner since I need to use LOTS, but so far it's been tough to find anything my scalp is happy with.

Cheaper silicone-free conditioners with argan oil seem to be the best for me so far. This one is cheap, thin (easy to distribute) and works well, too bad I can't get past the sickly-sweet smell:
    http://www.arganiaspinosa.co.uk/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product
    3A/Corkicelli, dry/bleached/recovering, thick, porous.
  • KrisHousley13KrisHousley13 Posts: 50Registered Users
    I just started CG a few days ago and have only tried suave coconut conditioner and loreal evercurl sulfate free cleansing conditioner as my hubby and I are on a serious budget crunch. Maybe i didnt use it right, but the evercurl seemsd to stick in my hair and weigh it down. I mightve needed to rinse more. So far suave has worked well for me. We will see how it goes since this is my first CG week. Good luck dear!
    2b/2c, Med density, Med Porosity, Fine/Med width, Med length, layers start below ears. Just my shot in the dark for my hair properties. Growing out bleached highlights Fall 2012, growing out dyed hair March 2013. Makes for a confusing mix of properties. Learning how different processes affect hair properties. Using lot of drugstore products right now. Determining what's right for my hair in my climate. Pittsburgh has a little bit of everything weather wise. Modified CGM since March 2013.
  • OhSunshinex3OhSunshinex3 Posts: 74Registered Users
    When I co-wash, I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut and I tend to use a lot of it at a time so I prefer that over an expensive conditioner. I do use an expensive conditioner for rinsing out and leaving in. I use DevaCurl One Condition for both. I tend to use less of that because my hair gets somewhat already moisturized and detangled from co-washing.

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a variety of cleansers; conditioner, cleansing conditioners and more. Here's what I have found....
    If I use a cheaper conditioner for co-washing (Vo5 or Suave) I find I need to use a lot, close to 2 palmfuls sometimes. If I use a more expensive cleansing conditioner (Deva NP, Darcy's, CJDF) I use a lot less, not even a palmful. Then I will use a heavier conditioner as a rinse out.
    **tressemme naturals is a medium thick conditioner for me which works fantastically as a co-wash and eliminates the need for a rinse out since its moisturizing. <3**

So really, it just depends on what I have on hand, time, or what the budget is. A more expensive cleansing conditioner conditions my hair where I don't need much of my heavier rinse out, if any.

Now if I co-wash with a more expensive conditioner (Deva OneC, Darcy's pumpkin, etc.) it eliminates a second conditioner all together since I will scrub my scalp and comb the conditioner through my hair to detangle, let it sit a few minutes and rinse. One step.

One thing though, I find with a thinner conditioner I use a lot more because I need to feel my scalp thoroughly covered and sometimes I will lose conditioner while applying to my scalp (runs out of my hand). A thicker conditioner is easier for me to distribute because I can feel exactly where I need or don't need more in my hair. As long as I scrub and rinse my scalp properly, I can use either cheap or expensive conditioners to cleanse. Note: My hair can handle heavier conditioners every wash (every other day)
    Personally I think it's a matter of preference.
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    There are so many dozens and dozens of hair care lines out there, I don't see why it isn't possible to find an affordable conditioner that is best for your personal hair. I would personally balk at using an expensive one (let's say, $6 or more per bottle), because I'm dense w/low porosity and use several big handfuls every time I co-wash!

The one I use (in my sig) to co-wash is sort of mid-range pricing, I guess, but it is hands-down the best co-wash for me. With a little detective work I learned I can buy it in bulk at my local health food store. That makes it about half the price for the same amount!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file