is there a non-comedogenic conditioner that is also suitable for co-washing?

tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
does anyone know of a conditioner whose ingredients are non-comedogenic? and also CG-friendly with no silicone or buildup?

I am looking at this list - http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm and I see quite a few of my ingredients listed as comedogenic ... which concerns me because of body acne and possibly runoff from the conditioner
shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
currently experimenting with water-only washing

Comments

• nina514nina514 Registered Users Posts: 118
    check out this thread :) HTH

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=24763&highlight=acne+pimples+breakouts

It's titled Please recommend a protein, 'cone, and oil-free conditioner by fuzzymonster.

this address might help too.

http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/index.html
    3c still searching for my HG...:book:
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I have no answer for a commercial conditioner that can fit this bill (except jojoba, hey) but here's what I can tell you.

I have been prone in the past to hormone/stress breakouts around the hairline. CG, even with products that are on the comedogenic "bad" list, has not exacerbated this. If anything it's helped. I'm convinced that for me detergents are the real villain. I have the kind of oil glands that act normal until they see a detergent, then get super paranoid and get to work on producing a truckload, stat.

As a teen I had very oily hair but that was a cakewalk compared to my skin. I always thought if I just put enough harsh detergent on both they'd be "clean" and stop acting up. If only I'd known.

Also, conditioners are formulated to be very rinsable. I think especially if you rinse them off your skin well, they won't hang around enough to cause problems. If you are worried about it though, maybe rinse conditioner fully, rinse skin, dry off and throw on a shirt, then add leave-in.
  • tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
    thanks! I got a few ideas from those links.

I am actually totally OK with most oils...a lot of carrier oils are non-comedogenic and non-irritating. in fact I even wash acne-prone skin with sweet almond oil and jojoba oil, it seems to soothe my skin and make me non-itchy and helps tone down the redness.

it's mostly the weird unpronounceable chemicals that make me nervous because I have no idea what they are. I would love to find a "minimalist" conditioner that has natural, recognizable ingredients.

I am even thinking about mixing conditioner myself ... I suppose it would have glycerin, aloe, some carrier oils and essential oils, and maybe some honey...hmmm.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    That's one thing I like about Aubrey Organics, they don't tend to have mad scientist sounding things.
  • howdeehowdeehowdeehowdee Registered Users Posts: 1
    I use that same list at zerozits.com

I have SUPER duper sensitive skin that reacts to everything (chems, wind, winter, cosmetics) and I also have very fine shoulder length curly hair that is weighed down easily. My hair does not like heat nor does it care for coloring.

For me, Pureology Hydrating Conditioner has been a revolution of sorts. Its got a few more thing in there than I would care for however its working wonderfully.

I saw a small bottle of conditioner (approx 16 oz) at Target of (all places) yesterday and it was $25 and I had to snicker because I get the half gallon from a salon locally for $60.

As I mentioned my hair is shoulder length. I order 4 half gallons of conditioner and one large bottle of the shampoo (for on occasion use) once a year they last me the full year.

Good luck!

Ps you might want to also try Aveeda foaming face wash with Feverfew
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    tmmycat wrote: »

I am actually totally OK with most oils...a lot of carrier oils are non-comedogenic and non-irritating. in fact I even wash acne-prone skin with sweet almond oil and jojoba oil, it seems to soothe my skin and make me non-itchy and helps tone down the redness.

it's mostly the weird unpronounceable chemicals that make me nervous because I have no idea what they are. I would love to find a "minimalist" conditioner that has natural, recognizable ingredients.

I am even thinking about mixing conditioner myself ... I suppose it would have glycerin, aloe, some carrier oils and essential oils, and maybe some honey...hmmm.

check out the recipe board. You can probably get some good ideas and information on other websites to check out. There are some "make your own cosmetics" sites.

Also, I keep a large hair clip in the shower and clip my conditioned hair up while I wash, shave, etc. When I get ready to rinse my hair, I bend over, take the clip out, and rinse upside down. That keeps a majority of the co off my back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    That's one thing I like about Aubrey Organics, they don't tend to have mad scientist sounding things.

Yes, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner is amazing and exactly matches the list of desired ingredients.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    The word "non-comedogenic" has never meaned anything to me. There have been many so called non-comedogenic products that have broken me out. I can only use the Aubrey Honesuckle Rose in moderation as it has given me acne cysts on my scalp and on my forehead right at the hair line. I can't think of a bigger offender for me than AOHR. Other products will give me your regular garden variety zits. I couldn't even tell you which products are guilty but I just have to be careful to prevent the products from dripping down onto my body in the shower and even when I apply products when I get out. I also use a Proactiv Bodywash on the areas that are vulnerable - my neck, upper back & shoulders, behind my ears, and upper chest.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    AOHR has coconut fatty acid (comodogenic).
    I looked up the ingredients for Magick Botanicals conditioner for thinning hair (fragrance free and safe for chemically sensitive) and they are okay. Only ingredient I couldn't find is cetrimide BP. This conditioner does have protein as #14 of 16 ingredients.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    hmkenny wrote: »
    The word "non-comedogenic" has never meaned anything to me. There have been many so called non-comedogenic products that have broken me out.

Hmmm, me too...lots of non-comedogenic products make me break out. Or itchy or something.
    I guess the word I was looking for is "non-irritating".

I found this website where I can search for individual ingredients and see how irritating they are: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

That website is helping a lot. I found some conditioner at Whole Foods that looks very non-irritating (came in a purple cylindrical bottle but I forget at the moment what it was called...)

I think I might have to give up my current co-wash conditioner (Beauty Without Cruelty Moisture Plus conditioner) ... it does an awesome job of cleaning my hair, but still seems to irritate my skin.
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    I personally don't like to co-wash, but DHS Conditioning Rinse with Panthenol is CG, protein-free, and paraben-free. This has not given me any problems with my skin after I used it as a regular conditioner, and it should be 100% non-comedeogenic considering it's made by DHS.

HTH!
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    tmmycat wrote: »

If you have a trader joes near you....I would suggest the Nourish Spa conditioner.

Ingredients: Purified water, organic Rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinecea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit citrus, vitimin e, acetamide mea, cetly alochol, citric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, botancial fragrance

Its really good...natural ingredients, and the best part...$2.50 for 16oz bottle.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Hmm, that does look interesting. the parabens are the only iffy ingredient in there but at that price it is definitely worth a try :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file