washing with water + washcloth??

tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
I read about washing your hair with water and a washcloth (no conditioner) in this article:

http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid40141.aspx

It sounds interesting. Has anyone tried it? Would it damage the hair to rub it with a washcloth while it's wet? Or should I wait until it's dry and then brush it? My hair is wavy, not curly, so I don't get too much poofiness if I brush my hair dry. I just don't want to damage it.

I am very picky about ingredients and sensitive skin so I thought this method might be good to try too while I am experimenting.
shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
currently experimenting with water-only washing

Comments

• curlywurly271curlywurly271 Registered Users Posts: 286
    i read this article a while ago and thought i'd give it a go. i tried it i but didn't have the patience for 100 strokes! - got fed up at around 60 :iconbiggrin: anyway i did it with wet hair and didn't find it damaging at all.
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
    that's interesting.... I have a question. Am I supposed to stroke my hair with the washcloth while I'm still in the shower or after I get out of the shower? I couldn't tell from the article. I guess I could try both and see how it goes.
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I personally would not try it, but I know that I am very weird this way.

I have put a lot of different chemicals on my hair, but the most immediate and noticeable damage I have done (or had done by others) to it has always been caused by physical manipulation of some kind. I wouldn't stroke it one hundred times with anything.
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I read that article, too, and winced at the washcloth idea. Terrycloth doesn't get near my hair. It ruffles the cuticle, which does not make curly hair happy. That's why so many of us use microfiber or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]Curl-ease towel[/buylink]s to dry our hair. (Well, that, and to keep more product in our hair...)
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file