Is Shampoo my problem

enelyaenelya Posts: 69Registered Users
Hey all,

I just found out about CG today, and I plan on picking up the book from my local library.

In the meantime, I have been reading whatever I can find on the net about CG and am very interested in the no poo idea. However, I am not sure if shampoo would be part of what is contributing to my dry, frizzy hair.

I have acne prone skin and have been using all organic personal care products for about a year now. I started using Curelle Hydra Shampoo months ago. Here are the ingredients:

Purified water, decylpolyglucose, na coco hydrolysed soy protein, sucrose cocoate, hydrolysed wheat portein, wheat oligosaccharides, xanthan gum, panthenol, lonicera japonica, citric acid, coconut, corn, coco, soy.

I normally use this once a week, and I haven't really noticed a difference in frizz or dryness.

Are any of those ingredients harmful for curly hair / ones that CG would recommend I stay away from?

I am just trying to figure out if the shampoo is contributing to frizz and dryness, or something else I am using / doing (I still have about 75% of the bottle left, so I'd hate to just throw it out if I don't have to...)

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hard to say without knowing what other products you're using (especially conditioner). Also, what kind of hair you have would be helpful to know (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types ). The hydrolyzed soy protein in the shampoo could be a culprit if you're protein sensitive.

But if you go CG, you won't want to use shampoo anyway, right? (Unless you're a wavy....)
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Sulfate free shampoos (like the one you're using) shouldn't be a problem, unless the conditioner you use has water insoluble silicones.
    3b-3c CG
  • enelyaenelya Posts: 69Registered Users
    I think I'm a mix between a 2c and a 3 that's shoulder length. My hair has a bit too much curl to say it's wavy, but then I don't think there's quite enough curl to say that it's curly either. But I definitley have the frizzy hair that lies flat on the top that the 2c mentions. Not sure if I'd say my hair is coarse. It looks dry, but then feels quite soft...

If I go CG, I would probably drop shampoo eventually, but for now because I still have so much of the bottle left I was wanting to know if it was still okay to use. I'm also trying to get more info on things in my hair care that might be causing a bit of a problem.

Is there a way to find out if I am protein sensitive? Or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Here's the ingredients from my other hair care products:

Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Conditioner

Water, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil Emulsifier), Sucrose Ester (Natural Sugar Ester), Vegetable Glycerin, Honey, Betaine (Sugar Beet), Hydroxypropyltrimonium Oligosaccharide (Sugar Moisturizer), Marula Oil, Glucose Sugar, Grapefruit Oil, Orange Oil, Lemon Oil, Ginger Oil, Petitgrain Oil, Polysorbate 60 (Sugar Emulsifier), Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase (Natural Preservative)

Gel: Curelle Medium Hold Stlying Gel:

Purified water, galactoarabinan, xanthan gum, glycerine...vegetable, lonicera japonica, organic lime oil.

Serum: Prairie Naturals Moonshine Silica Hair Serum:

Silicon Dioxide (Silica 3% Volume), Dimethiconol, Vegetable Glycerine, Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Aloe Vera, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Natural Aromatic Oils, Rice Bran Oil, Methoxycinnamate, Grapefruit Seed Extract

I have also been using olive oil hot oil, which I have tried twice and didn't like. Both times it left my hair looking and feeling greasy, despite the fact that it's still frizzy! I washed twice after using only just 1 tbsp and it still has some oil left in it.

I've also tried a mayo and avocado deep conditioner twice. I use 2 tbsp of mayo with 1/4 avocado and leave in for 20 mins. Not sure how I like this one yet.
  • MagooMagoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your products look good to me. Not sure if this is your case but I know that whenever I use any products with soy protein in them, I get a lot of frizz. I'm sensitive to all proteins in general but soy is the worst for me. You might want to experiment with not using the products with protein in them for a few days and see if that makes a difference. That's how I found out I was sensitive to protein.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file