Texture shots

Do you all think Texture shots in Fotki and other sites tend to be flaunting our potential 'good hair' or 'non-nappy' parts of our hair. Or is it really to show viewers a clean slate, of what our hair looks like point blank?

Since joining Fotki, I have been influenced by some of the other member's pages and have included these infamous 'texture shots' as well. It wasn't even on my mind to do such a thing before this. I am guilty.:sad8:

Comments

• dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    Hi osocristie: The purpose of my texture shots are to show how my curls can be accentuated with product/manipulation. I feel like all of my hair is "good hair" and I don't have any "non nappy" parts to my hair......it's all kinky, nappy, 4a/b hair.

I think forums and photo albums are a good way to educate each other, especially those who are apprehensive about going natural. They actually show how versatile our hair is and how you can use various methods and products to enhance your natural texture. Say for instance, two years ago I never knew what I could accomplish with some gel and a leave-in.......but now I know:toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • mariag002mariag002 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    osocristie wrote: »
    Do you all think Texture shots in Fotki and other sites tend to be flaunting our potential 'good hair' or 'non-nappy' parts of our hair. Or is it really to show viewers a clean slate, of what our hair looks like point blank?

Since joining Fotki, I have been influenced by some of the other member's pages and have included these infamous 'texture shots' as well. It wasn't even on my mind to do such a thing before this. I am guilty.:sad8:

I'm not sure what you mean. I will try to put a decent picture up, but I also don't consider my hair bad or good its just my hair. Also, one thing I've learned is that depending on the product in my hair I can look completely different. Put some garnier in my hair and I'll have an afro. Put some fantasia gel and I'll have curls.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i dont believe in "good" or "bad" hair textures, so none of my texture shots are meant to show any of that mess. the purpose of my tetxture shot is to show my hair's texture. i think alot of times (and ive definetly been guilty) see someone's hair who they really like and then ask them what products they used or how they got their hair like that when 1st off they should think, "is my texture the same/similar to even be able to achieve these results"? ive seen some awesome twists or twists sets and my hair just cant get the results of others because our textures are too different. also, my texture shots show my hairs texture/curl pattern at various stages of length and with and without product. i think if you get caught up on "good" and "bad" hair, youve probably missed the point.
  • mariag002mariag002 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subrock, you're one of the people I stalked while transitioning LOL I visit Fotki for a few reasons -
    1. To find a hair twin so I can ask them for their regime
    2. To find different products I can buy. Most of the products used by members are only well known in the online community so I have to dig deep.
    3. For encouragement!! If it weren't for Fotki and NC I wouldn't have been able to chop off my hair.

I admire all types of hair. My hero is Chicoro and she's a 4a. I learned how to do twists, ponypuff, and other styles visiting the site. I take lots of pictures of my hair on a monthly basis to pay forward and inspire other people to transition, just like I was.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    subrock, you're one of the people I stalked while transitioning LOL I visit Fotki for a few reasons -
    1. To find a hair twin so I can ask them for their regime
    2. To find different products I can buy. Most of the products used by members are only well known in the online community so I have to dig deep.
    3. For encouragement!! If it weren't for Fotki and NC I wouldn't have been able to chop off my hair.

I admire all types of hair. My hero is Chicoro and she's a 4a. I learned how to do twists, ponypuff, and other styles visiting the site. I take lots of pictures of my hair on a monthly basis to pay forward and inspire other people to transition, just like I was.
    me too! i tend to love the way styles look on 4a hair. i love twist outs and braid outs and tons of other styles that my hair just cant do!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That reasoning only flies if all fotki albums were of "non-nappy" hair. Some of my favorite albums are 4b's as well as 4a's and 3c's
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    i dont believe in "good" or "bad" hair textures, so none of my texture shots are meant to show any of that mess. the purpose of my tetxture shot is to show my hair's texture. i think alot of times (and ive definetly been guilty) see someone's hair who they really like and then ask them what products they used or how they got their hair like that when 1st off they should think, "is my texture the same/similar to even be able to achieve these results"? ive seen some awesome twists or twists sets and my hair just cant get the results of others because our textures are too different. also, my texture shots show my hairs texture/curl pattern at various stages of length and with and without product. i think if you get caught up on "good" and "bad" hair, youve probably missed the point.

ITA. Texture shots are helpful to me so that I can find my hair twin, and like Subbrock said, it helps when you can see the texture at different lenghts, with and without product etc. I dont think it has anything to do with good or bad hair (unless that is how a viewer chooses to view the images).
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• shndlynshndlyn Posts: 103Registered Users
    When I firsted started visiting the hair boards, several members requested texture shots (no product) when asked to help detemine the appropriate classification for hair type. Also, I personally like to see the effects from products on similar hair types as mine.
    Lois System: OS-Thick-Spongy
    Andre: 4a
    http://public.fotki.com/shndlyn/
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    shndlyn wrote: »
    When I firsted started visiting the hair boards, several members requested texture shots (no product) when asked to help detemine the appropriate classification for hair type. Also, I personally like to see the effects from products on similar hair types as mine.

This is exactly why I like to see the texture shots of folks review products that I'm interested in.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file