Need more hold I think....

OK, I'm having a couple issues!

First of all, my wave is nowhere NEAR where I'd like it to be, though it's nice, I'd love more curl. I'm 2b on a regular basis with some 2c tendancies, especially in the back. I have a TON of hair, so it looks thicker but it's fine/med. in texture, and falls flat as soon as someone blows on it. I'm thinking of trying [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] for enhancement (if I can get up the nerve to spend $17 plus shipping on it LOL). I think that the condishes I've been using (and leaving in a bit of) are just too heavy; I think I don't need a leave in. But I also need more hold.

What's the best holding product a modified cg girl can use? I am considering BRHG but am considering a cg hairspray too, any recs there? I so wish I could have touchable hair that stays like I put it the first time (I'd love for my just-diffused hair look to stay all day at work, and I'm a stylist to boot so have to have nice looking hair).....

I don't know, maybe since I just started back modified cg and stopped the cones again I need to give it more time again....OY.....I do have my wave back (thank GOD) and it looks good, but I wish it would stay longer.....TIA for any advice/encouragement you can give.
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Your hair sounds a bit like mine. I have a LOT of hair, but it is fine and gets weighed down easily. I cannot leave in any rinse-out conditioner; I have to rinse it out thoroughly. I can't use leave-ins, either, except when it's very cold and dry out and even then I can only use a teeny tiny bit and I even rinse that briefly. The best strong holding gel I have found for my hair is Fuzzy Duck by Mop Top. I also like Abba Weightless Gel. I've tried BRHG and it's just too strong for my hair; gives me limp, stringy curls. I've noticed recently since it's gotten colder & dryer outside, my hair is responding pretty well to lighter hold gels.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Thanks Ms. Giblet....your hair does sound like mine some....but you have more curl than me. I was reading/looking at your Fokti....I actually had better luck with the jasmine B2B yesterday than you seem to have....but the Jessicurl weighs me down usually. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. I'm going to start completely rinsing my condishes out and start there....I used to use BRHG when I had short hair for hold when I had a spiky (noncurly since my wave pattern is much larger than that) style and it worked pretty well then, but I had to pair it with manipulator or something similar. I was hoping lighter hold gels would work out for me but they just aren't seeming to hold enough. I suppose I'll just have to do the trial and error thing...OY......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg2 wrote:
    Thanks Ms. Giblet....your hair does sound like mine some....but you have more curl than me. I was reading/looking at your Fokti....I actually had better luck with the jasmine B2B yesterday than you seem to have....but the Jessicurl weighs me down usually. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. I'm going to start completely rinsing my condishes out and start there....I used to use BRHG when I had short hair for hold when I had a spiky (noncurly since my wave pattern is much larger than that) style and it worked pretty well then, but I had to pair it with manipulator or something similar. I was hoping lighter hold gels would work out for me but they just aren't seeming to hold enough. I suppose I'll just have to do the trial and error thing...OY......

Yep, the experimenting never seems to end. My hair is much curlier than it was a year ago -- it just gets curlier the longer it gets -- I have a long loose "S" curl which needs the length to show itself. Products that didn't work a year ago work just fine now. In fact, I need to try the jasmine B2B again and see how it'll work in the colder weather now. Seems like everytime I think I've figured my hair out, my hair gets longer or the season changes or something and it's back to the drawing board!

I'm showing my ignorance now, but what is a manipulator?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OOH Maybe there's hope for my poor flat waves then.....my hair is bsl but I do want it a bit longer.....I have that loose S thing too....though not as much (yet hopefully) as you. I'd love to get to 3A botticelli curls......we'll see.....a year ago almost exactly I started to CO, if I had kept it up maybe I would be curlier now. If it wasn't for the hold yesterday when I used the jasmine condish I'd have had a possible hg combo on my hands.

Manipulator is a pomade by Tigi Bed Head. I used it for the spiky look.

Oh I went to my local beauty supply for the BRHG and that's out, they don't sell it anymore. Oh well.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg2 wrote:
    OOH Maybe there's hope for my poor flat waves then.....my hair is bsl but I do want it a bit longer.....I have that loose S thing too....though not as much (yet hopefully) as you. I'd love to get to 3A botticelli curls......we'll see.....a year ago almost exactly I started to CO, if I had kept it up maybe I would be curlier now. If it wasn't for the hold yesterday when I used the jasmine condish I'd have had a possible hg combo on my hands.

Manipulator is a pomade by Tigi Bed Head. I used it for the spiky look.

Oh I went to my local beauty supply for the BRHG and that's out, they don't sell it anymore. Oh well.....

Ah, your hair is already longer than mine. I'm not BSL yet, so I guess my curl pattern isn't as loose as yours. Mine must have just gotten curlier with length because I am definitely not strict CG anymore.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Check out ebay you can get it cheaper on there :wink:

I can always hope.....LOL......I'm not strict CG either, modified to allow sulfate free shampoos and the occasional clarifying shampoo because of hard water. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delma wrote:
    Check out ebay you can get it cheaper on there :wink:

Thanks Delma! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think today part of it is the condish I used (tigi catwalk oatmeal/honey)....I LOVE the smell but I must've used too much, since my hair feels goopy now.....I'll try it a few more times not using as much and if it still feels goopy and droops after a few hours I'll stop using it totally.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file