searching for a good key lime pie recipe...

merynmeryn Curl NovicePosts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
I've tried several, and have been disappointed with the results, I think because most recipes call for sweetened condensed milk. The taste/smell/texture of that stuff just makes me retch for some reason.

Anyhow, summer's coming, I'd love to learn how to make the perfect key lime if anyone would like to share their recipe!

tia!

Comments

• PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    I love the key lime pie at the Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It does have the sweetened condensed milk in it though. I've never had key lime pie that didn't. Anyhoo, if you want the recipe you can click here.

Edited to add: The best key lime pie I've ever had was at DeSoto's in Gulf Shores. They put raspberry puree on top. Yummy! icon_smile.gif

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Peppy ]
  • *STEPHANIEANN**STEPHANIEANN* Posts: 3Registered Users
    I did a search and couldn't find ANY recipes for Key Lime Pie without sweetened condensed milk...I did find this one for Key Lime Custard Cakes though, which sounds pretty darn tasty! Maybe you could mess around with the recipe (increasing egg yolks/reducing butter and flour?) until you get a pie-ish consistency.

Key Lime Custard Cakes
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000

2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon grated Key Lime peel
    3 large eggs, separated
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/3 cup fresh Key Lime juice
    1 cup milk
    Powdered sugar
    Fresh mint sprigs, for garnishing
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter six (6 ounce) custard cups with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, then place in a large roasting pan.

In a large bowl, cream 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, the sugar and lime peel using an electric mixer. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after the addition of each. Beat in the flour, then the lime juice. Gradually mix in milk (mixture will be thin and may look curdled).

In a large bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the meringue into the yolk mixture in 3 additions. (The mixture will be runny; do not overmix.) Divide the pudding-cake mixture among the prepared custard cups. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of dishes. Bake until puffed and lightly firm to touch, about 30 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle the Custard Cakes with powdered sugar and serve warm, garnished with fresh mint sprigs if desired
  • merynmeryn Curl Novice Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks so much for the replies, Peppy and Stephanieann. I did a search and this one looks pretty good. I think since it has both cream & sweetened condensed milk, I'll like it better.

I'll post again if its a "keeper"! icon_smile.gif

White Chocolate Key Lime Endeavor with Macadamia Crunch

Makes 1 - 9 inch pie

Prep Time: 2 Hours
    Cook Time: 20 Minutes
    Ready in: 4 Hours 20 Minutes
     1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
    1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
    4 ounces white chocolate

4 egg yolks, beaten
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
    5/8 cup key lime juice
    1 cup heavy cream, chilled
    1 tablespoon white sugar
     Directions   1 To Make Crunch: In a food processor, combine nuts, flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix in 3 tablespoons butter until dough forms large crumbs; do not let the dough come together in a ball.
    2 Press the crunch into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Freeze until crust is firm.
    3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    4 Bake crust for 25 minutes, or until it is lightly browned and set. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave oven on at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    5 To Make White Chocolate Coating: In a small bowl, mix together 8 tablespoons butter and white chocolate. Place bowl over simmering water, stirring constantly until chocolate and butter are smooth. Pour mixture evenly into crust. Freeze until firm.
    6 To Make Key Lime Endeavor: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk and lime peel. Gradually stir in lime juice. Pour mixture into chilled crust.
    7 Bake in preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack. Then cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until chilled.
    8 In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream with 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Spoon or pipe the whipped cream on top of pie before serving.
  • *STEPHANIEANN**STEPHANIEANN* Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hmmm, the one I make has sweetened condensed milk too...I don't think I've ever had one that doesn't. I always top mine with homemade whipped cream that I've added lime zest to, and I use the bottled key lime juice and a premade shortbread crust (instead of graham cracker)...everybody loves it. icon_smile.gif
    Filling:
    3 egg yolks
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    3/4 cup bottled key lime juice

Topping:
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
    3 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar
    zest of one lime

FILLING: Beat the egg yolks at a high speed until fluffy, abut 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Slowly add the lime juice, just until everything is combined. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 325.

TOPPING: Whip cream and sugar until very stiff, then fold in lime zest.

Cool the pie, then top individual servings with whipped cream. I don't top the whole pie with whipped cream unless the whole thing is going to be eaten immediately (which I have been known to do all by myself
    icon_wink.gif).
  • TaraSTaraS Posts: 1Registered Users
    I used to lurk around here, but haven't been here in a LONG time (my hair went straight). Anyway, I have no idea of the veracity of the story with this (haven't checked it on snopes.com), but since it was the ONLY Key Lime Pie I'd ever seen without the condensed milk, I added it to my collection. Good luck if you decide to try it!

Tara S.

Jessie's story in the note says it all. I am not the hospice nurse. Please keep her story with his recipe. From Jessie and in honor of Jessie and all who have died. If you pass it on keep intact and pass on the request to keep Jessie's story with his pie.

Jessie's Key Lime Pie

5 eggs, separated
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup Key Lime juice
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 cup sugar (for meringue)
    1 9" baked pie shell

Separate eggs into three bowls - 5 yolks in one bowl, 2 egg whites in another, and 3 egg whites in the third. This is the most important step in the whole operation. Cream egg yolks, add 3/4 cup sugar and lime juice and mix thoroughly. Cook over low heat until thick, add butter and remove from heat. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile beat two egg whites until stiff, then fold into cooled lime mixture. Fill pie shell. Beat other whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Pile meringue on top of lime filling and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : PLEASE keep Jessie's story intact and with his recipe, in memory of Jessie and all who haved died.

Several years ago I treated a young man from Key West, Florida who was dying of AIDS. A couple of weeks before he died, he gave me his 75 year old family recipe for Key Lime Pie. He explained that most Key Lime Pie recipes use condensed milk. Even restaurants in Key West serve Key Lime Pie made with condensed milk. Jessie was disdainful of this version. His family recipe, passed from generation to generation, does not used condensed milk. Jessie claimed it is the only authentic Key Lime Pie recipe. So in memory of Jessie, I offer it to you.
    2b/3a
    Biggest detriment to good hair: a kitten who things it's fun to play with it.
  • Nacho_MommaNacho_Momma Posts: 28Registered Users
    You probably don't like the traditional one with sweetened condensded milk because it's baked with the eggs. If you leave out the eggs and use cool whip - the texture is much lighter and fluffier - more like a frozen mousse texture.

Here's a good one - I leave out the liquor and I love the pretzels for the crust.

Margarita Pie

1/2 C. Oleo -- melted
    1 1/4 C. Pretzels -- crushed
    2 Tbsp. Sugar
    14 Oz. Can Condensed Milk
    1 -1/2 Oz. Triple Sec -- (3 Tbsp.)
    1- 1/2 Oz. Tequila -- (3 Tbsp.)
    1/4 C. Lime Juice
    2 C. Cool Whip

Combine oleo, pretzels, and sugar; place in pie plate and mold into apie shell then freeze. Combine remaining ingredients; pour into picecrust, then freeze, covered for 4 to 5 hours. Let stand 20 minutes
    before serving

this one is my sister's and you would make it like the above recipe

Shari's Key Lime Pie

8 oz of cool whip
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 c lime juice

put in pie crust of choice and freeze.

here's another one that's a bit different - it used ricotta cheese instead of cool whip

Alamos lime pie
    I like this pie because it doesn't have to be baked.

To make two 9-inch pies (22.5 cm diameter, I don't know what the standard size is in metric utensils)

For EACH crust:

6 oz. (168 gr) graham crackers, finely crushed in a blender or with a rolling pin
    6 T. (72 gr) butter or margarine, melted
    Combine the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter in a lightly buttered pie plate. Rub between your fingers until the crumbs are evenly moist. Then spread out evenly, pressing firmly up with your fingers to form the sides and down to form the bottom. Refrigerate these until the filling is ready.

Filling for TWO pies:

1 lb. (450 gr) ricotta cheese (low or no-fat works fine)
    1 1/2 cups (360 ml) fresh lime juice
    3 cans 14-oz (420 ml) sweetened condensed milk (this milk is also sometimes available in low fat)

1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream

Blend the ricotta and the lime juice in a blender at high speed until smooth. Add the condensed milk and blend or beat together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Filling should be thick and creamy. If you don't have a blender, the ricotta may be a bit grainy in the filling, beat as smooth as possible in a bowl. Pour filling into the two pie shells and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours or until chilled and firm.

Just before serving, whip the cream until stiff. Spread over the pie, smooth into small swirls.

A handy utensil for whipping cream is available in specialty cooking stores. ISI GmbH, Vienna, Austria makes a Coffee Cream Whipper which uses N20 chargers. Each charger will whip up to 1 pint (1/2 lt. ) of cream. It's faster than beaters or whisks and more fun, because everyone can swirl on their own cream from the dispenser, plus the cream stays fresh and usable in the refrigerator for several days.

Mexican limes are the same type of lime as Caribbean Key limes, small and very flavorful. Limes originated on the Malay Peninsula, were cultivated in India and then imported to the New World during colonial times. We can bring these limes across the U.S. - Mexico border legally now, so I pick all I can off of our small tree and Ron's cousin's trees in Alamos, bring them home and freeze the juice in 1 and 1/2 cup plastic containers to use later.

Fresh limes will keep for a long time. Let the air circulate around them in a basket so they don't mold. When the skin dries to a hard shell, the juice is intact inside. Perhaps that's how they were carried on the sailing ships where they were used to prevent scurvy on long voyages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file