Thyroid Troubles Anyone?

UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
I think I may be having this problem. Am going to get it checked out.
2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I'm hypothyroid and have been taking thyroid medication for about 16 years now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    me too--i take synthroid daily--doing fine--monitored 2x a year by dr
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    me three, diagnosed with an underactive, synthroid, monitored by dr. once a year.
    I had no symptoms, so I made my dr. take blood on three different occasions to confirm. Have noticed no differences since starting synthroid over a year ago.
    2b/3a.
  • UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    CurlyInColorado,

Are you saying that you don't feel any better since taking the medication?

Lisa
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    no difference at all, I've even discussed it with my Doctor, twice now.

Keep in mind, I didn't have any symptoms, no fatigue, no hair loss, no weight gain, nada, just blood that indicated I had an underactive thyroid

ETA: the word choice of "better" doesn't really apply in my case, because I didn't feel bad, only pissed when I found out I had to take a tiny pill once a day for the rest of my life!
    2b/3a.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've often thought I have a thyroid condition - I took thyroid medication as a teenager, although I don't remember what it was (I THINK I had what they called a "low" thyroid - I remember that the main problem back then was very irregular periods - a problem I no longer have). I run very cold (hands, feet and nose are almost always like ice); I'm tired most of the time; and I don't sleep well. Are these symptoms indicative of a thyroid problem? I realize only a medical doctor can diagnose - I'm just curious.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • curlypotatocurlypotato Posts: 46Registered Users
    I am in the "high normal" range of having hypothyroidism. The ranges were lowered in 2002 but my physician will not treat until I meet the old criteria. I am always tired, freezing cold, constipated, have brittle nails and flakey skin and now am loosing hair. He told me to get a different hair cut. Easier said than done with curly hair. I am getting my bloodwork done twice a year and as soon as I meet his threshold I will be at his office waiting for the door to open. I'm finding it rather frustrating and am wondering if I should try someone else but in a small town I don't think many of them are on the cutting edge.

Go have it checked out, the least they can tell you is that your thyroid is working fine.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am in the "high normal" range of having hypothyroidism. The ranges were lowered in 2002 but my physician will not treat until I meet the old criteria. I am always tired, freezing cold, constipated, have brittle nails and flakey skin and now am loosing hair. He told me to get a different hair cut. Easier said than done with curly hair. I am getting my bloodwork done twice a year and as soon as I meet his threshold I will be at his office waiting for the door to open. I'm finding it rather frustrating and am wondering if I should try someone else but in a small town I don't think many of them are on the cutting edge.

Go have it checked out, the least they can tell you is that your thyroid is working fine.

Sounds like you need a new doctor. That one is jerking you around. If you're having symptoms, and meet the lab criteria, you should be treated.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    VTmom wrote:
    I've often thought I have a thyroid condition - I took thyroid medication as a teenager, although I don't remember what it was (I THINK I had what they called a "low" thyroid - I remember that the main problem back then was very irregular periods - a problem I no longer have). I run very cold (hands, feet and nose are almost always like ice); I'm tired most of the time; and I don't sleep well. Are these symptoms indicative of a thyroid problem? I realize only a medical doctor can diagnose - I'm just curious.

Yep. Those are some of the classic low thyroid symptoms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have thryoid. Runs in the family, tho most of them are overweight, diabetic, high bp, etc. I'm the opposite, thin, low sugar and bp, etc.
    I had no symptoms but knew there was something not right. I could feel something when I swallowed. Took 2 years to convince the doctors to do anything. By then there were tumors that had to be removed as the tests all came back 'inconclusive' for cancer.
    Now I take a high dose of synthroid to shut my thyroid down and keep the other small tumors in there from growing. I feel fine and still have no symptoms.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file