I have got to stop watching A Baby Story

geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
I end up wanting to yell at the TV 9 times out of 10.

My current least favorite thing is the women saying "Of course I want the epidural, I don't need a medal" or "Of course I want the epidural, I'm not trying to prove anything". Where do they get the idea that this is why people forgo the drugs? Has anyone actually said "I don't want any meds, just to be contrary?" Do they really give out medals? And if so, why have I not received mine?
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    :laughing9:

Do you have the Discovery Health channel? If so, try watching "House of Babies" instead. I want to yell at all the other baby shows too.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    We have every Discovery channel EXCEPT Discovery Health. I used to watch house of babies before we moved, that was great.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I love House of Babies. Except it always makes me mad that there's no maternity center like that in my area, only hospitals.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I love House of Babies. Except it always makes me mad that there's no maternity center like that in my area, only hospitals.

After watching that show, I actually briefly considered going to live with my parents in Miami for the end of my pregnancy so I could have my baby there with Shari.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    I have not watched a single Birth Story, Baby Story or film. We cut lamaze class the night they were showing the film.

I'd just get mad watching that too. In our class the teacher asked "Is anyone here not getting an epidural?" I was the only one who raised my hand. Everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads. I'm certainly not trying to prove anything, but after having a bone marrow biopsy 3 years ago, needles in my back kind of weird me out. Call me crazy! :drunken:

All I can say is eewwwww. I don't want to see anyone giving birth. I know that makes me silly but I'm just finding the whole thing icky.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    You didn't get the medal?!?!?!? I got one...
    I love watching births when they aren't dramatized for TV. The one we watched in my class was nice and I love the ones on House of Babies. I've found some of the women on there very inspirational. Seeing other women go through birth with so much confidence and calmness has been very encouraging for me. I've seen so many now, but I still get teary-eyed when they hold their baby for the first time. Of course the shows where the woman is screaming at the top of her lungs despite being loaded with pain medications aren't the best thing for pregnant women to watch.

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    I think Shari is the only reason I regret not living in Miami any longer. :laughing9:

However, there is the option of homebirth for pretty much anyone in the country and one I hope to take advantage of when we have more kids. It's funny because I had a pretty morbid obsession with A Baby Story my first trimester with Ian's pregnancy. Then as I delved into researching NCB I felt like chucking the TV most days.

Second time around the one that used to get on my nerves was Bringing Home Baby because of the nursing issues.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I too want to yell at the TV while watching A Baby Story. We don't have Discovery Health either.

I love watching birth videos, personally. The real thing is even more amazing to watch! There's nothing like seeing a baby come into the world.

Home birth is an option in every state but I wish midwives weren't so limited in some states. If I am still living in St. Louis when I get pregnant my options will basically be to deliver at home with a midwife who is practicing illegally; drive 2.5 hours while in labor to the nearest birth center; or deliver in a hospital, most likely with an obstetrician. I would love to be able to have a home birth with a legally-practicing midwife, or to have a birth center nearby.

Bringing Home Baby annoys me too.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Does anyone ever successfully breastfeed on Bringing Home Baby? I'd imagine that the added pressure of the cameras create a lot of stress.

I watch Baby Story, but it makes me mad and I end up yelling at the tv. I love House of Babies.

Iris, have you ever seen the birth video with the couple with the very thick Boston accents using a picture of their kitty as a focal point during labor? It's so cute.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Iris, have you ever seen the birth video with the couple with the very thick Boston accents using a picture of their kitty as a focal point during labor? It's so cute.

buwhahahaha We watched this in our childbirth ed class. Everyone fell out laughing at them.
    Heehee, I love that video so much.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    I don't mind seeing birth, I think that is kind of cool. It's the bad medicine that gets me.
    I did see one woman finally bf successfully on Bringing Home Baby, after she got some help from a Lactation Consultant. She must have heard me yelling "Get a lactation consultant" over and over through the tv screen.

buwhahahaha We watched this in our childbirth ed class. Everyone fell out laughing at them.

No but it sounds so cute!!! I think I'll try that when I get pregnant. :)

I watched this cool video once on squatting deliveries. Has anyone seen anything like that?

ETA I've seen some successful breast-feeding Bringing Home Baby episodes, or at least one that I can think of for sure. Maybe it was the same one Geeky saw. :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    Is that the one that about the Latin American women? All the women at this particular hospital squatted on their beds while pushing their babies out - the births were very gentle.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    haha after giving birth i cant watch those shows anymore. i dont know why...

wait--so if i wouldnt have gotten an epidural i would have been awarded a medal AND i would have proved something? dammit...i made the wrong choice! :laughing9:

i cried when i saw the videos in birthing class. i didnt want anything that large coming out of my cooch while my closest friends and family watched. but of course, on the day i gave birth, i didnt care if th dr pulled her out of my nose, i wanted her out. and i ordered everyone not to look at my cooch. but they did anyway...jerks.
    Is that the one that about the Latin American women? All the women at this particular hospital squatted on their beds while pushing their babies out - the births were very gentle.

Yep! :D

I liked it a lot. It just seems so much better than pushing in the stranded beetle position.
    iris427 wrote:

Yep! :D

I liked it a lot. It just seems so much better than pushing in the stranded beetle position.

Squatting is the best! Squatting in water is even better. Bloop...they just shoot right out... ;)
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I tried squatting but kept on slipping.

Those baby stories are truely blood pressure raising.
    hello.world.
    I saw the squatting video, that was great.

I did most of my pushing in a modified squat. I am certain that was the reason that it was so quick and felt so good.

• jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    Can someone explain this squatting position to me? I'm not very good on balance and coordination, and I'm worried I would fall over and hurt myself! I can't even squat well not pregnant, let alone imagine doing it while in labor. Are you on the bed? On the floor? What do you hang onto?
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

You can be on the bed, on the floor, wherever (if the hospital lets you). Some hospitals have squatting bars on the bed you can hold on to. Also, if you squat on the bed, your partner's shoulders as he/she stands next to the bed are just the right height. If you would like to birth in this position, you need to practice squatting a little every day. This is not a positin we are used to in the west, so we would need practice in order to hold it for any amount of time.

You can also do a half-kneel, half-squat, which is a little easier on the legs.
    112811797_99541837f1_s.jpg

And keep in mind that if you have an epidural, you can't do any of those because you have no feeling in or control over your legs.

jce wrote:
    Can someone explain this squatting position to me? I'm not very good on balance and coordination, and I'm worried I would fall over and hurt myself! I can't even squat well not pregnant, let alone imagine doing it while in labor. Are you on the bed? On the floor? What do you hang onto?

You would squat for pushing, not necessarily for labor (unless you've got legs of steal!) Squatting bars on the bed only work if you're really in strong physical shape, because you need most of the support in the back, not the front. Leaning your back against something stable really helps to hold the position...I don't think I would have been able to squat to push if I hadn't been in water though.

And yeah, if you've had an epidural, the stranded beetle position is your only real position choice.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    And yeah, if you've had an epidural, the stranded beetle position is your only real position choice.

I squatted with an epidural. I also walked around. Is that unusual?

Mind you, 5 hours of squatting and pushing didn't amount to anything so it was stranded beetle position and vacuum that eventually got the sucker out.

Pretty much epidural = stuck in bed, so definitely unusual. You were able to feel your legs enough to walk?
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png

Pretty much epidural = stuck in bed, so definitely unusual. You were able to feel your legs enough to walk?

Someone asked about walking epidurals in my class, and my instructor said those are not typically used for labor in the US. So if you gave birth in the US, I'd say that's unusual.

Mind you, 5 hours of squatting and pushing didn't amount to anything so it was stranded beetle position and vacuum that eventually got the sucker out.

From what I've heard about your birth and your care, it was all pretty unusual (in a good way). For the most part, even if you are able to move around with an epidural (which is not likely), the hospital does not want you to, for liability reasons.

Bailey422 wrote:

Someone asked about walking epidurals in my class, and my instructor said those are not typically used for labor in the US. So if you gave birth in the US, I'd say that's unusual.

I thought the walking epidurals were standard in most hospitals now - they allow a laboring mom to feel the contractions enough to push, although her legs are usually still numbed. All my clients that have received epis have gotten the "walking" variety and none of them were actually allowed out of bed.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    geeky wrote:

From what I've heard about your birth and your care, it was all pretty unusual (in a good way). For the most part, even if you are able to move around with an epidural (which is not likely), the hospital does not want you to, for liability reasons.

The hospital I worked in did not have walking epidurals--most women needed help even shifting position in bed because they were basically paralyzed from the waist down by the epidural. If they could have walked, I'm sure the hospital would not have let them, because of liability and because they like their women strapped to the monitor at all times. Also most women I saw with epidurals were given Pitocin and with Pit the baby does need to be monitored more closely.

I think squatting is harder for us because it's not a position we use much in our culture. We're not out squatting in fields doing agriculture or foraging for roots and seeds, so it's harder for us to hold that position.

However, squatting opens the pelvis up more than the stranded beetle (aka lithotomy) position and allows you to work with gravity to push the baby out. The lithotomy position actually has you working against gravity and is just not a logical position for childbirth. It's only used for the doctor's convenience. I've also heard you're more likely to tear in the lithotomy position.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the lithtomy position:
    Lithotomy position and childbirth

As a birth position, it has been popular in the past with obstetricians as it allows a good view of the birth process. However, the position is not conducive to a smooth labor as it constricts the birth canal, puts pressure on the coccyx, prevents the fetal ejection reflex from occurring, and does not allow the mother to move during the process, therefore increasing pain in labor. During labor, the position appears to cause compression of the main maternal blood vessels including the vena cava, thereby reducing the flow of blood to the infant. Restricted blood flow frequently results in higher rates of morbidity and mortality for both fetus and mother. [1]

Additionally, since the lithotomy position essentially "fights gravity" leading to a less active birthing process. Passive birthing, which often requires more invasive medical interventions, is associated with increased trauma to both infant and mother, may lead to serious birth complications. [2]

In Western countries the use of the lithotomy position for active labour has seen a decline in recent years. One notable exception, however, is the United States, where the lithotomy position remains common practice despite solid scientific support [3]. Many attribute the use of the lithotomy position, named after surgical procedure to remove kidney stones and bladder stones, to a centuries-long trend towards the medicalization of birth. [4]
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420

i love the wording! :laughing9: :laughing9:

i squatted with my first during contractions. i was also on all fours at times, gyrating my hips while my husband rubbed my back. that was really comfortable.

the position that i pushed my babies out in was on the bed with the bed in a semi-upright, not flat, position so that gravity was working with me as i pushed with legs spread out like a flattened chicken. wow. what an image! :laughing9: :laughing9:

but it worked well. i pushed for a few minutes and our son was born. i pushed about 5 times and our daughter was born. i was in the same position with both.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file