Halloween when you were little

munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
A woman at work and I were talking yesterday about Halloween and how different it is today than it was when we were kids. This is a small town. Our parents didn't have to go with us back in the 50's. We would go all over town by ourselves trick or treating.

Then we got to laughing and said we didn't just trick or treat on Halloween, we went for at least two nights (the 30th and 31st). Just wondering. . . was that just something we did around here or did you trick or treat for more than one day when you were little too?
3b/c

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    We just did the one day. But it was a night, when it was dark (it seems a lot of places have kids go out during daylight hours now) and it was HALLOWEEN (not the closest weekend day to Halloween). A parent came along when we were really little, after that we would usually go in groups with friends.

Before the razor blade scare, we'd score home-baked treats. There was also the apple lady (boo!) and the bucket of pennies lady (boo!).
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I remember it just the opposite...when I was young, we only TOT'ed during daylight hours. All the moms were home in those days. Now, no one even answers their doors until after 7pm. I accompany my kids, but no one watched us in the old days. I remember TOT'ing alone at 5-6 years old.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We just went the one day, always after dark, and always sans adults. I lived in a small town and we scored some of the homemade gems as well...ahh...the good ol' days! The best part was that I went to a Catholic school in a nearby city, and since Nov. 1st is All Saints Day (a Holy Day of Obligation), it was always a holiday for us!! :hello1:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The nylon or polyester outfits with the plastic masks that made a kid sweat & that cut the tongue or lips & into the eyelids. Going to maybe 10 homes by myself in the dark due to living in the country. Getting apples from the elderly lady who lived closest to us. Getting homemade cookies from someone else, probably my grandparents who lived below us. I think getting regular candy from everyone else.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We went with mom and dad until we were about 10,then went in a big group of kids.
    We usually went about 4 blocks in each direction,and got a LOAD of candy!
    We trick or treated well into HS,too-fully costumed , of course!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Did anyone trick or treat more than one night? We were just wondering if that was something they only did around here or if other places did. I think this was something we did in the 50's and the practice stopped early in the 60's.
    3b/c
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I live in a small town.
    When my parents (in their 70's) were little, they Trick or Treated every night for a week! Alone, no adults. They would go all over town. And they would go inside total strangers houses and have cookies and milk and treats and snacks.
    When I was a kid it was only one night but it went on for hours and always in the dark, no parents.
    The kids can't have parties in school anymore and they only get to Trick or Treat from 6 - 7:30 pm so it's mostly in daylight. And most parents DRIVE their kids from block to block. Guess kids can't walk anymore. I imagine Halloween will disappear all together one day. Makes me sad. It's my favorite holiday.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK, this beats all I've ever heard. I live on a military installation & at the youth center the clinic or cops or both had an x-ray machine available to scan the candy!!!
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lazy loops wrote:
    OK, this beats all I've ever heard. I live on a military installation & at the youth center the clinic or cops or both had an x-ray machine available to scan the candy!!!
    that's a sad statement about our world :cry:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    We trick or treated on Halloween night only. The kids went all alone and would go all over town. We mapped out our route days in advance to have the best strategy and get the houses with the best candy. We were gone for hours --all on foot.

One year (when there was a razor blade scar) they moved it to the daytime. It just wasn't as fun. The next year it was back to nights.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Halloween was almost celebrated on October 31st and we went house to house. My sisters were 5.5 years older and we always went without my mother. We'd walked everywhere (even miles from home into other neighborhoods) and stay out 'til nearly midnight and people were still handing out candy.

My son went to a local church for Trunk or Treat (car lines up backwards and decorate the trunks and hand out candy). He got 1/2 a bag of candy and was ready to go home. I'm too timid to take him house to house. He got enough candy and was statisfied. I even got candy. :D I wore a Chipper Jones Braves jersey and carried a baseball glove with me. I'm the same height and weigh a little less than my son (he's 11) and I was talking to him and a lady dropped candy in my glove...lol!! You can look at my face tell I'm an adult..but I guess I look younger in the dark...turn out the lights and pass out the Snickers...;)

Speckla
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We only treated on Halloween, but I remember there'd be some kids who would come to the door on the 1st, not the 30th. Treating started as soon as we got out of school. We'd get our costumes on and go on our own as soon as possible. I don't have any memories of treating before 5th or 6th grade. We'd go with our friends, always in a large group, because we liked to be together. One of the neighbor girls, a middle school or high school student at the time, would treat on her block and ours, then change into a different costume and do it again and again. We didn't go very far, though. I think since my mom was at work we had to stay on our block. The 'little store' was 4 blocks away (up 2 and over 2) and gave out hot dogs. We never made it there, though, and I was always disappointed. We weren't allowed to go there (too far), and my parents were early health nuts. Hot dogs weren't allowed; we ate nitrate-free frankfurters
    lazy loops wrote:

After the razor blade/needle/pins scare the local police departments advertised anyone could take their candy to them to have the bag x-rayed. This was back in the late 70s - early 80s, I think.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file