Adult Acne

KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
Is anyone else out there having trouble (still) with this problem or am I the only 47 (almost 48) year old who shares facial products with their 17 year old son? I am getting these bumps under my skin that won't go away, especially around my nose, forehead and chin. I've went through 2 doses of acutane (several years ago) with virtually no results.

Am I too old to be using Murad or Proactive?

HELP!!!!!!
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• BotanicalcurlsBotanicalcurls Posts: 30Registered Users
    I feel your pain KurlyKarenLee. I did Accutane 12 years ago and I am 43 now and still fighting acne. I had it well under control w/ LaRoche Posay products (purifying cleanswer and conditioning solution with glycolic acid), but then, felt I wanted to do something about wrinkles, so I switched to Retin-A. Now, 6 months later after having to switch to a gentler cleanser, a moisturizer and a stronger sunscreen to accomodate the effects of the Retin-A, my skin is a mess again with acne. I thought the Retin-A would be helpful with regard to the acne and wrinkles at the same time?? Last week I went back to the LaRoche Posay products and I'm hopeful that I can get back to where I was before Retin-A as I'm seeing a vast improvement already.

I've never used Murad or Proactiv, but I'm interested to hear what anyone else has to say on this subject. Good luck to you and let us know if you try these products, let us know the results!
    3b, coarse dark blonde hair; cut fairly short - just below ears.
    TJ's Nourish for CO wash, Too Shea! as conditioner and leave-in, Bioterra gel (Too Shea! & Bioterra are my HG!)
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Yeah, it's a dilemma between --do I use wrinkle cream to prevent wrinkles...or acne cream to prevent pimples? The two just don't go together. I used Retina A back in my 30's. It really didn't do much for me. In my early 40's my skin cleared up for a while --but only until I hit peri-menopause. Now the bumps are back!

Salicylic acid products don't do much for me either and I'm hesitant now to use anything with benzoperoxide (which seems to be the only thing that I can see results with) 'cause I've just spent a small fortune on satin pillowcases and I don't want them bleached out!!!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • BarbM45BarbM45 Posts: 55Registered Users
    Isn't skin weird?!! I barely had any acne as a teenager, but as soon as I hit my mid thirties, my skin flared up. I also went through a coarse of Accutane - which helped for a while.

If your health insurance plan covers it, go see a dermatologist. If you no longer want to use Retin A, there's other prescription meds/lotions that might help. My skin didn't like Retin A either, but I'm having better success with Differin cream - and it also helps with wrinkles and age spots. (And, unlike Retin A, it's covered by my prescription plan!) I also use a prescription antibiotic lotion - Cleocin T - that doesn't bleach my towels, clothes or satin pillowcases! For awhile I also needed oral antibiotics, but my skin's better now. Good luck with yours...
    Barb
    fine, 3a hair; using Suave CO, trying to find right gel
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I, too, share products with my 20-year old son. However, I've been having very good luck with Retin-A, which I've been using for about 5 months. I just got some Cleocin-T for my son (as BarbM45 uses) and am anxious to see how he likes it. He is going to use that to replace his current Benzaclin which he finds a little bit harsh. If it's good, I plan on trying it myself. He also uses Nicomide-T and Retin-A. He's been using Retin-A Micro for 4 or 5 years, but likes the regular Retin-A better.

Good luck - all of us middle-aged women with acne can empathize with each other - if that's any consolation!!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    I've never tried Differin, Cleocin-T, or Nicomide -T. Are they all Rx's? It's about time for my annual exam and my doc is a partner in one of those medi-spas, so I'm sure she can prescribe something. None of the over the counters seem to work for me.
    KurlyKarenLee

I've never tried Differin, Cleocin-T, or Nicomide -T. Are they all Rx's? It's about time for my annual exam and my doc is a partner in one of those medi-spas, so I'm sure she can prescribe something. None of the over the counters seem to work for me.
    Differin and Cleocin-T are Rx's, Nicomide-T is not. However, the pharmacies don't usually keep it in stock so they will have to order it for you. I got mine from Walgreen's for about $35. It is a vitamin B derivative cream.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom -

Which form of Retin-A do you use?

Thanks!

Botanicalcurls
    TJ's Nourish for CO wash, Too Shea! as conditioner and leave-in, Bioterra gel (Too Shea! & Bioterra are my HG!)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I still fight acne, at age 45. I used Accutane 13 years ago, with great results, but my acne came back again after 10 years, although not nearly as bad. Now, I use a combination of several things to keep my skin clear: a gentle non-detergent PH-neutral cleanser, Salicylic acid 5% (BHA) to keep my pores clear and exfoliated, and Retin-A. The non-detergent-PH-neutral cleanser is probably the single most important part of my skin routine, because it keeps my skin barrier in good repair. Detergent-stripped skin is ripe for breakouts.

I also avoid commercial moisturizers, as most of them contain detergents and other nasty ingredients that cause breakouts. If I need moisturizer, I use only emu oil mixed with a little hyaluronic acid (an humescent ingredient that helps the oil sink in). I stay very clear with this combination. I use some other well-formulated (without nasty ingredients or detergents) anti-aging products as well and while they don't do anything to clear up acne, they don't cause acne either...Vitamin C, Copper peptide and DMAE.
    RedCatWaves,

Would you share the name of the non-detergent pH neutral cleanser you've found success with?

Thanks!
    RedCatWaves,

Would you share the name of the non-detergent pH neutral cleanser you've found success with?

Thanks!

There are only 2 such cleansers that I know of and, unfortunately, neither can be found in your local drug store. I buy online:

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSC23_8

https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GCC-8&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dall%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DAAAA
    Where do you get the Emu Oil?

I started washing my face with Cetaphil and it's amazing how clean it gets it. My makeup (even mascara and lipstick) come off very easily. But I still need something to dry me up in the T-zone.
    KurlyKarenLee

Cetaphil containes SLS, one of the harshest detergents. It's not as gentle as the cosmetic industry would like us to believe.

I buy emu oil from DianaYvonne.com. It's made by LBprocessors.com, which has the nicest, most consistently high-quality emu oil, but DY sells it a bit cheaper.
    Thanks RedCatWaves. I am going to try one of your suggested cleansers. I already use mineral cosmetics, salisylic acid masks, Emu Oil and a good copper peptide. Hopefully all I need to change is the cleanser to make the Retin-A work for me!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Yeah, it's a dilemma between --do I use wrinkle cream to prevent wrinkles...or acne cream to prevent pimples? The two just don't go together. I used Retina A back in my 30's. It really didn't do much for me. In my early 40's my skin cleared up for a while --but only until I hit peri-menopause. Now the bumps are back!

Salicylic acid products don't do much for me either and I'm hesitant now to use anything with benzoperoxide (which seems to be the only thing that I can see results with) 'cause I've just spent a small fortune on satin pillowcases and I don't want them bleached out!!!

I struggled with this for years. Finally I realized that I needed benzoyl peroxide along with Retin-A -- the Retin-A for cell turnover and the BP for disinfection. The bleaching is a problem that I solve by using BP only in the daytime.

I also use BHA gel once or twice a week instead of the BP, to minimize blackheads.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW - which of the 2 cleansers do you prefer (and why, if you have a choice)?

There aren't any similar gentle cleansers at Whole Foods or those places? wow.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Proactiv and love it.
    I have been using it for about 11 years and I am 45
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    I had to google milia, too, and I have them, too. I think that's part of what I have been considering as "adult acne."
    KurlyKarenLee

Whoops!! I posted to the wrong topic! Sorry!
    KurlyKarenLee

CurliLocks wrote:

I prefer the cleanser from PSF. It's more concentrated, and therefore, cheaper in the long run. Both cleansers are about equal in terms of gentleness and ability to cleanse well.

No, unfortunately, the commercial world of cleansers are all pretty damaging to the skin, and non-detergent cleansers aren't readily available. Even the supposed most gentle, Cetaphil, contains SLS. The only alternative to SLS and other detergents in most stores is soap. Soap has it's own issues, including a very high PH. High PH is just as damaging to the skin barrier as SLS is. Some people do well with using oils to cleanse, but they clog my pores too badly.
    VTmom -

Which form of Retin-A do you use?

Thanks!

Botanicalcurls
    Botanicalcurls,
    Sorry, I'm just now seeing your post. I just started using the .1% cream. I originally started out with the .025% gel, then the .05% cream, and now the .1% cream. My skin is not particularly sensitive, but I am careful. So far, I haven't had any irritation issues at all, and my skin is continuing to do well. I'm a real fan of this stuff.

CurliLocks wrote:

I prefer the cleanser from PSF. It's more concentrated, and therefore, cheaper in the long run. Both cleansers are about equal in terms of gentleness and ability to cleanse well.

No, unfortunately, the commercial world of cleansers are all pretty damaging to the skin, and non-detergent cleansers aren't readily available. Even the supposed most gentle, Cetaphil, contains SLS. The only alternative to SLS and other detergents in most stores is soap. Soap has it's own issues, including a very high PH. High PH is just as damaging to the skin barrier as SLS is. Some people do well with using oils to cleanse, but they clog my pores too badly.

What about castille ones like Dr Bronner's and others at HFSs? Or have you already done all the research on ingredients and pH, etc? I know you've spent a lot of time finding good products. :)
    What about castille ones like Dr Bronner's and others at HFSs? Or have you already done all the research on ingredients and pH, etc? I know you've spent a lot of time finding good products.

Dr. Bronner's is a castille SOAP, and therefore it's PH is too high and it's damaging to your facial skin. The cleansers that I recommended above started out as castille soap, but they have had their PH's lowered with citric acid, so they are neutral.
    Ah, I see. Thank you! :) So what is the best pH level for normal to oily skin that gets some breakouts?
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Ah, I see. Thank you! :) So what is the best pH level for normal to oily skin that gets some breakouts?

Neutral. The object is to clean your face without stripping it or damaging the skin barrier. Then you can use whatever products work best for you. For oily-breakout-prone skin, I think salicylic acid is a good choice.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use Proactiv, too, and have for about 6 years off and on. When I run out, break outs come back. I also take vitamin A to help the skin cells as they're being made. (vitamin A strengthens cell walls) Years ago I took odor-free garlic capsules, one/day, which also helped alot.

Just today I was reading about magnesium oil and it's skin benefits. One of the testimonials said it seems to help tighten pores. Obviously, once they're big, they stay big but this is supposed to help lessen their appearance. Now I'm curious, but have to wait to buy some.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file