Itch for Baby #2

kimberly jkimberly j Posts: 153Registered Users
For those of you with two or more children (or the second on the way), when did you get the itch to have #2?

My daughter will be 2 in November and I find myself thinking more and more about having a second child. However, DH and I don't plan on trying for #2 until at least a year from now. There are a lot of factors right now that are contributing to this wait time. I don't want to have my kids any more than 3 or 4 years apart, so this has crossed my mind a lot lately, but how do I 'scratch' that itch for another year before we are truly ready?!

Comments

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    kimberly j wrote:
    For those of you with two or more children (or the second on the way), when did you get the itch to have #2?

My daughter will be 2 in November and I find myself thinking more and more about having a second child. However, DH and I don't plan on trying for #2 until at least a year from now. There are a lot of factors right now that are contributing to this wait time. I don't want to have my kids any more than 3 or 4 years apart, so this has crossed my mind a lot lately, but how do I 'scratch' that itch for another year before we are truly ready?!

I got the itch around 15 months - posted it here actually

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=95292&highlight= .

My baby girl was so big and grown at that point, I felt I no longer had a baby. I am 6 months along now. We found out we were pregnant when she was 18 months. She will be 27 months when her new sister is born. I like that gap. It feels comfortable to me - my brother and I are exactly 27 months apart and were very close.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I only just had #1, but I already have the itch (I really want a girl!) However, my husband and I both think we will wait till our son is 2 or 3 to have the second baby born... I want to have time for my body to recover and to let our son grow up a bit.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander is 22 months old and I am just now getting the hardcore pangs. We have some things to plan in our life so we are looking at TTC next spring/summer. That will put him and MY DAUGHTER a bit over 3 years apart.

I am scratching the itch by reminding myself of what I want to do before I am pregnant again. I want to make sure that I have all of my duckies in a row for FMLA/maternity leave. I want to turn 30 and have a huge party with alcohol consumption involved. I want to have Xander be at a place where he can be a small help with his sibling. I want to get into a more consistent exercise routine and stick with it before getting pregnant again. Almost everyday I almost talk myself into just saying to heck with it and getting pregnant now but I remind myself of the above.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Xander is 22 months old and I am just now getting the hardcore pangs. We have some things to plan in our life so we are looking at TTC next spring/summer. That will put him and MY DAUGHTER a bit over 3 years apart.

I am scratching the itch by reminding myself of what I want to do before I am pregnant again. I want to make sure that I have all of my duckies in a row for FMLA/maternity leave. I want to turn 30 and have a huge party with alcohol consumption involved. I want to have Xander be at a place where he can be a small help with his sibling. I want to get into a more consistent exercise routine and stick with it before getting pregnant again. Almost everyday I almost talk myself into just saying to heck with it and getting pregnant now but I remind myself of the above.

You are smart and lucky that you are young. I was not only feeling the itch mentally but because I'm older, I was worried about all the things they make you worry about when you are over 35. BUT if you can wait for those things, that's perfect!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I kind of always wanted to get started on the second one. As soon as I had the first one, I knew I wanted a second one. But I wasn't sure if I wanted to try to conceive or adopt. So that took time. And for medical reasons, the doctor wanted me to wait a year. And then one thing after another...this and that...and really there was no perfect time. So I said it's now or never!

They will be 3 years and 1 month apart (if all goes according to plan).

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My initial plan, since DH and I waited until we were married for 6 years and pretty well settled to start a family was to have 2 fairly close in age (like a year or so apart). But as we got to DS's first birthday, I really wasn't feeling the itch AT ALL. I had just started back at work and was enjoying some freedom and started having flashbacks of the hell that was my first pregnancy. The idea of havings spread out in age (say 3 years apart) started to seem more appealing

But then like Wavez, I started feeling some time pressure - I really did want to be done having babies by 35 which meant we did need to get cracking soon.

So in the end, we're now going to have 2 that are 27 months apart. Its neither the really close gap I initially wanted or the larger gap that I then wanted. But in some ways I think there really isn't a good time or a bad time. The first one is the one that takes a good bit of planning, but I don't really foresee my life or lifestyle changing that much when Boo #2 (who must be a GIRL!) comes around.

• puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    Oh I have the itch - bad! My daughter is almost 15 months and I've been wanting #2 for a couple of months now. We're trying to decide if we want to try for another within the next few months or wait awhile longer. I really want to be pregnant again, and have a buddy for DD, but it's the first few months with a newborn that worry me, especially with a 2-year old in the house.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing9:
    hell no!

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When Bailey was approaching 2 I started itching for another. I waited until the right month, b/c since I was planning it, I didn't want to be pregnant at certain times - I didn't want another Leo, didn't want to be hugely pregnant in the winter, stuff like that.

We started the next time I ovulated after Baileys 2nd birthday, and I got pregnant right away - the girls are 2 years 9 months apart :wink:

Once I had Bella, I couldn't imagine NOT having a baby in the house, so the idea of wanting another came RIGHT away.

But God, I don't want to be pregnant for another 9 months, and the recovery on my body just sucks afterwards. But the baby thing, ya, I'll take another one of those. :love1:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file