Random observations from 41+ weeks....

curlyninercurlyniner Posts: 130Registered Users
I've been dilated to 5 cm for the last week, and I can't believe I'm still waiting. I guess the best I can do is try and have a sense of humor, eh?

- Apparently you can walk around with a 2 inch hole in your cervix for well over a week and not show any signs of going into labor.

- All eggplant parmesan is *obviously* not created equal.

- Looking at L'oreal's Out of Bed goop takes on a whole new perspective when you've been oozing cervical mucous for over a week. (ewwwww....)

The midwives are amazed every time I walk back in the office - apparently they don't see women walking around like this too often. We did do an ultrasound and the NST today, and everything looks just fine. They have tried massage, stretching my cervix, and today stripped my membranes. I get an image of this little girl in there, bracing herself with hands and feet against the sides of my uterus like Spiderman. Or another image of when she's 14 and locks herself in her room refusing to come out.

We've scheduled an induction (by breaking my water) on Friday morning. :( That's the latest they will let me go, so I'm trying to give her every possible chance to come out on her own. Boy, if she is this stubborn now....
"Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png

Comments

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Have you tried evening primrose oil? My midwife suggested it and I went into labor after 2 days.
    It could have been a coincidence though....
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Yeah, eggplant parm didn't work for me either this time...you know what did work? Castor oil. I was 41 weeks and only 2cm dilated. Two ounces and I was in labor within 5 hours. Had my little girl 8 1/2 hours later. Ask your midwife about it.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Another stubborn girl, eh? lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second castor oil. My girlfriend used it when her daughter was almost 3 weeks late. Her daughter was due 3 weeks before my son, but he's 3 days older!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    Good Luck I was 22 weeks overdue with #1 the waiting sucks.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users

I know this is a typo but :laughing9:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users

Yeah, that's what it feels like, doesn't it??!!

(((((HUGS))))) At 41+ weeks and 5 cm, your baby will come before you know it! There's a great chance you'll go into labor on your own before Friday. Sending labor vibes.....
    ehLB.jpg
    I think you will go before Friday too. But if you find yourself pg Thursday morning, do the castor oil (talk to your midwife first). It'll be safer and less painful than an induction.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't mean to sound dumb but how exactly does the castor oil help?

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    deedles wrote:

~d

It's a laxative, and if you are all ripe and ready, then the resulting strong BM can start contractions.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:
    deedles wrote:

~d

It's a laxative, and if you are all ripe and ready, then the resulting strong BM can start contractions.

Ahhhh gotcha!!!!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • curlyninercurlyniner Posts: 130Registered Users
    They feel confident that if I make it to Friday, we won't have to do any pitocin for the induction...just breaking my water should do the trick.

I'm sure it sounds naive, but it seems like castor oil (along with its *ahem* after-effects) would be much more uncomfortable. I have talked to a couple of people who were as dilated as I was and then took castor oil - one didn't make it to the hospital in time, and the other did but just barely. So apparently it's effective in this situation. :wink: I'm just a chicken, I 'spose.

I mean, if I'm going to end up with monster contractions either way (castor oil vs. breaking water), why spend an hour or two with wrenching poop pain first?
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    gemini wrote:

I know this is a typo but :laughing9:

yeah holly crap that would have been a long time
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Midwives don't have any authority to "let" you remain pregnant or not. It's still your body. You can always say no to an induction, even at 41 weeks, even at 42 weeks and beyond. They did an NST and everything is fine, so I'd tell them no...but that's just me.

I really don't think you'll go too much longer anyway...not at that dilation.

I self-induced with castor oil (for a medical reason) with my last baby and it wasn't "monster" anything...just a bit of poop and labor shortly thereafter. If they break your water, you will be "on the clock" immediately, and you'll have to do your entire labor in the hospital...and what happens if breaking your water doesn't start contractions immediately? They'll start pitocin...talk about "monster" contractions.
    I should add that I also self-induced for medical reasons. If they hadn't told me that my baby was at risk, I would have just taken a wait-and-see approach.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file