Please help me buy maternity clothes

jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
Found out we are about a month along with #2. I'm prepared to show earlier (especially since I didn't lose all the weight with #1). I have several shirts and shorts from the last child, but what I need now are skirts/dresses and pants, especially to get through the winter. Fortunately, I can wear jeans/very casual clothes for work.

So, where can I get affordable, yet still decent quality clothes that won't fall apart after the first wash? I don't even remember where I got most of the stuff for #1 (it's been almost 7 years!).

Also, if it matters, I'm pushing 40, so age appropriate would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.
3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

Comments

• sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    I bought all my maternity clothes at Gap and Old Navy. If you like their regular clothes, the maternity clothes are the same. I wear jeans and T-shirts to work everyday so their stuff worked for me. But, I also just saw that Ann Taylor Loft has maternity clothes now too.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I was definitely going to suggest Old Navy. Cute stuff and affordable - the majority of my maternity clothes are from there. Not the highest quality, but still good. I have some stuff from Gap too (especially since it's the ONLY place I could find pants to fit me), but it's more expensive. Target has some cute stuff too, in the Maternity by Liz Lange line.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    With my first pregnancy I got a lot of stuff at Old Navy. Cute, yes, but they certainly didn't hold up.

This pregnancy I didn't need too much stuff, since I'm a SAHM, but I got everything from Target. Their Liz Lange line of maternity clothes are really cute.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been mostly shopping at Target and Motherhood Maternity. My Old Navy doesn't carry maternity clothes. :(
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations!

I found all maternity stores to be pretty hit and miss. The only constant is that Gap has the SOFTEST tees. I think Ann Taylor has meternity now, too.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Mimi Maternity, Pea in a Pod and Babystyle have really really nice maternity clothes. They are expensive, but they have great sales.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Bailey422 wrote:
    I've been mostly shopping at Target and Motherhood Maternity. My Old Navy doesn't carry maternity clothes. :(

Mine doesn't either, but there is one about a half hour away in both directions that does. I order most of their stuff online. It comes quick and is well worth it - they do a $5 shipping no matter what the order is!

ETA: My clothes are from Old Navy, Motherhood, and some from Mimi (although it's too expensive!)

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Congrats!

I think Target is reasonable and decent (although it seems to shrink something awful). But personally I prefer Mimi...which is very pricy IMO. Be glad you don't have to dress up for work because dress clothes are outrageous. It seems to me like most mat clothes are geared toward 18 year olds.

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I ordered from Mimi, Motherhood, Japanese Weekend and Babystyle. Pea in a Pod was nice but a little expensive. I got some plain/basic things from Old Navy, Gap and Target, but generally I was not crazy about their quality or their styles. I also bought at Thyme Maternity which is awesome, but I think only in Canada, and at local maternity boutiques. One carries the Tummi and Duet lines which are both really nice. I bought way too much :oops:
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    It seems to me like most mat clothes are geared toward 18 year olds.

Yep, I've settled into a lot of non-mat jersey dresses from Banana Republic.

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    I don't know if this will help, but I found a lot of....transitional clothing at WalMart. I'm really not quite ready for maternity stuff yet (my mom bought my some basics to stock away), and a lot of stuff is empire-waisted since that's trendy right now.

And believe it or not, the stuff I've gotten from WalMart is holding up nicely. I've bought a few tanks with the bras in them and they are of better quality than Target or Old Navy. I also got a really cute dress for $10 that is empire waisted and is also holding up nicely. I know they do have a maternity section, but haven't looked at it yet.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • LieselLiesel Registered Users Posts: 189
    My favorite things were from Motherhood, their return policy is a pain but the clothes were cute with a good selection. They also have a nice nursing section that I buy from now.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I had a hard time finding maternity pants at Old Navy. I felt they were very slim cut. I did find some cute tops.

Gap was my big success. They had comfortable slacks, jeans, skirts and tops. I was an 8 before I was pregnant...I fit size 8 maternity jeans. If you don't have a GAP maternity...you can order online.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    I was the layering QUEEN when i was pregnant. I wore a lot of tank tops from old navy and paired them with jackets for work.

I got a lot from old navy and Gap. Target was good also.

I never had a problem with my stuff falling apart, although i bought A LOT, so it was circulated well.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    How much stuff did you guys buy? How many work outfits and casual outfits would you say you have/had?

I'm really feeling stretched very thin in my maternity wardrobe, like I just don't have enough variety and that I'm wearing these same ugly pieces again and again and again. But yet, I don't want to overbuy for a very brief stage in my life.

What are your strategies?

(Can I just vent here and say I am very dismayed and saddened by the types of clothes that are available to pregnant women, esp. those of us who get very big? :mad: I really miss my old body and my old clothes.)

• jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you all! The Old Navy close to me doesn't have maternity, but searched online and found one, as well as a Gap, at a nice shopping center across town. I'm always looking for excuses to go to that center anyway, so this could work out nicely!

How much stuff did you guys buy? How many work outfits and casual outfits would you say you have/had?

I'm really feeling stretched very thin in my maternity wardrobe, like I just don't have enough variety and that I'm wearing these same ugly pieces again and again and again. But yet, I don't want to overbuy for a very brief stage in my life.

What are your strategies?

(Can I just vent here and say I am very dismayed and saddened by the types of clothes that are available to pregnant women, esp. those of us who get very big? :mad: I really miss my old body and my old clothes.)

Lots of stuff, spidey. My workplace is pretty relaxed so I just bought what I liked and didn't have to worry about suits/business wear. I bought 2 nice long gowns for performing, and then I think I had 6 or 7 more dresses, 3 pairs of capri pants, a pair of jeans, 3 or 4 pairs of long pants, tons of tops, a couple of jackets, at least 7 or 8 T-shirts, a couple of cardigans... I definitely had more than I needed!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    My mainstays were Target and Old Navy. SL5000, after awhile, I kind of had a work "uniform" of a few mix and match pieces that I rotated--a skirt, sleeveless shirt and a cardigan, depending on the weather. It did get old after awhile, but i didn't want to buy a huge wardrobe when I was only going to wear it for 5-6 mos. tops.

I never had anything fall apart after a washing.
    I had more the first time around but some got lost, I lent some out and never got them back, some got destroyed and some were so hideous I just couldn't wear them this time around. I bought a few more pieces but I'm used to having tons of clothes...and now if i'm lucky I have maybe enough for two weeks of work w/out repeating. And I don't love any of it.

• realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    If there is a Gap outlet in proximity it would be worth the drive. I got a ton of maternity clothes there that were all under $5 a piece.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    another vote for target!
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I had a hard time finding maternity pants at Old Navy. I felt they were very slim cut. I did find some cute tops.

Yes to this! It didn't help that my thighs expanded while pregnant either!!! For casual pants, I generally went for drawstring non-maternity pants (Mossimo juniors line) in a larger size from Target. In the summer, I wore those with maternity bra top camisoles. For work, I mostly stuck with Liz Lange line--usually skirts, since finding pants (length--I wear petite sizes) was a PITA.
  • DEBJONESDEBJONES Registered Users Posts: 7
    well......i know i'm a little late with a response, but...... i absolutely fell in love with H&M. In selected stores they have a collection called "H&M Mama. I just turned 42 and I understand wanting to be "age appropriate".
  • jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    DEBJONES wrote:
    In selected stores they have a collection called "H&M Mama.

I so wish there was an H&M here! I always see such nice looking non-maternity things in magazines, and always so affordable. And there's no online ordering either.

I'm still having trouble finding pants, so this bump might be a good thing. I did find a decent enough dress at Goodwill, though. I never knew they had a maternity section - it's right near the kids clothes. Not a very big selection, but it was 50% off everything the day I went, and $3.50 for a dress I can wear to work is a good thing!

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    gemini wrote:
    Yes to this! It didn't help that my thighs expanded while pregnant either!!! For casual pants, I generally went for drawstring non-maternity pants (Mossimo juniors line) in a larger size from Target. In the summer, I wore those with maternity bra top camisoles.

This is what I've been living in. Drawstring pants that rest below my belly. The stuff from Old Navy was just cut so slim.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Well, even though my SIL can be a huge ****, she was very nice and let me borrow all her maternity clothes when i was big pregnant. and, she had a TON of cute stuff! My suggestion is to find a friend/family member who had a baby recently and is planning on having more. Then, the two of you can stockpile maternity clothes & share depending on who is pregnant at the time.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I have a couple of stretch knit skirts with a fold over waist from Old Navy. They're not maternity but they're very stretchy and still look really cute. I've been practically living in these skirts, I don't know what I'll do when it gets too cool to wear them. I can also still wear my stretch gauchos from Target. I really wish I could buy more of them, but they don't carry them anymore.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    I'm at the stage where some things (like my favorite jeans) just feel too tight. I tried on jeans in a larger size, but they were too baggy everywhere else. :sad10:

I tried making a belly band from an old tank top, and I've tried the rubberband trick, but I just feel weird with my pants not fastened. :wink:

I think I'll be living in my stretchy pants for a while.
    I was washing and packing away my maternity clothes this weekend, and I noticed how poorly made were the few Old Navy things I had - except for one dress that I only wore a couple of times, most of the rest was falling apart. I will skip ON next time!

.png

534Pm5.png

• rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    jce wrote:
    Found out we are about a month along with #2. I'm prepared to show earlier (especially since I didn't lose all the weight with #1). I have several shirts and shorts from the last child, but what I need now are skirts/dresses and pants, especially to get through the winter. Fortunately, I can wear jeans/very casual clothes for work.

So, where can I get affordable, yet still decent quality clothes that won't fall apart after the first wash? I don't even remember where I got most of the stuff for #1 (it's been almost 7 years!).

Also, if it matters, I'm pushing 40, so age appropriate would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

target's maternity clothing often looks better than the regular women's clothing!

i'd go straight to the sale racks for their maternity clothes. they seem to always have regular mark downs. you might want to visit the store twice weekly to make sure you won't miss out on cute stuff.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file