How long was your entire transition process

legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
I am curious. I have been transitioning since Nov 2006. Five months now. I have shoulder length hair and about 3 inches of new growth. iT SEEMS LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE A LONG PROCESS. Right now all I can do is ponytails. I was used to wearing my hair out all the time. But the new growth and relaxed ends don't mesh. How long was it from begining to end? This is for those who did not BC.
Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68

Comments

• ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I started from zero. I had 0 inches of newgrowth when I started to transition from a relaxer. At the beginning my hair was so damaged from the relaxer that it even refused to curl. At that time my hair was much to short for a braid. That was ,I think, 2005.

Now I wouldn't even call myself a transitioner anymore, because my curls came back ( even with relaxed hair) and now I'm 3c allover.
    My hair is a liiittle bit longer than BSL when it's straight.

My tip: I know this sounds impossible sometimes ,but what really helps is: Not focusing on hair too much. Don't think about it all the time. One day you'll look in the mirror and say: Wow ,my hair grew out fast! Believe me it works.
    Don't care about your growth too much ,care about the health of your hair.

• LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    It took me about a year and a half. In my album, I have pics of what my hair looked like after I chopped off the last of the relaxed hair.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • mariag002mariag002 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ladydncing wrote:
    It took me about a year and a half. In my album, I have pics of what my hair looked like after I chopped off the last of the relaxed hair.

Maya, all this time I thought the girl in the avatar was you LOL I saw your fotki pictures and WOW your hair is so gorgeous! I hope my hair can look like that one day :D Its amazing to see the after pictures of relaxed hair. I can't believe you ever put a relaxer in your hair. I've had a relaxer since 1981 so I can barely remember what I used to look like without one.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote:
    Ladydncing wrote:

Maya, all this time I thought the girl in the avatar was you LOL I saw your fotki pictures and WOW your hair is so gorgeous! I hope my hair can look like that one day :D Its amazing to see the after pictures of relaxed hair. I can't believe you ever put a relaxer in your hair. I've had a relaxer since 1981 so I can barely remember what I used to look like without one.

LOL.. you are so sweet! That's Rachel True, my hair idol! and thanks for the compliment :) Yeah, believe it or not, I relaxed for 25+ years! and it took me 7 years before I was all natural. I kept changing my mind and would grab the relaxer. Thanks to the support that I've gotten here, I am now a CG! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • prettyhxcprettyhxc Curl Neophyte Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been transitioning for 2 years. I'm finally taking out my braids today and i will be wearing my hair all out and natural from now on. i wore my hair in braids so i wouldn't have to really think about it and it didn't take me a million hours to get ready in the morning. just make sure to take the supplements (hair, skin, and nails) along with a good multi vitamin, and eat healthy. your hair will grow in no time.
    6 years natural and loving it
    4B hair

Current Products
    Shampoos: DevaCurl Low Poo, Kinky Curly Clean
    Conditioners: DevaCurl One Condition, Elucense
    Leave ins: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Curl Junkie Smoother Conditioner
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel,
    Oyen Handmade Juice & Berries
  • mariag002mariag002 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    legette68 wrote:
    I am curious. I have been transitioning since Nov 2006. Five months now. I have shoulder length hair and about 3 inches of new growth.

I'm in the same boat as you - last relaxer was 11/31 and I have about 3 inches of growth. I've been having ALOT of bad hair days since its two different textures. I finally couldn't take it anymore and cut off 2 or more inches of hair. The hairdresser did an awesome job at blowdrying it straight so at least it all looks the same. Its raining today and I know that all it will take is 2 drops and I'll look like a lion again LOL

I'm just anxious to get this over with already. I completely understand where you're coming from. It took me 7 yrs to get the courage to do this. So far its been 5 months and at this point I don't want to cave. I see women with their natural hair and its been my motivation knowing one day that will be me :D
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    mine is about 3 years ..frm one inch to bra strap length. Im a 3b/c
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • Curly DeeCurly Dee Posts: 22Registered Users
    This month marks one year of transitioning for me. I have about 4 - 6 inches (front to back) of natural hair (I think it could be longer, but I've been getting 1/4 - 1/2 in trims every 6 weeks to maintain my transition style and healthy ends). I remember making the same comments about how long it seemed to take to notice some growth. I agree with Parasol's comment because I did begin to see a difference after I stopped concentrating on length/growth and more on maintaining healthy hair. I hope to continue my slow transition for 18 months.

With all of the rain my region has been getting lately, I impulsively want to BC (my hair gets crazy with all of this humidity too, mariag), but I'm riding it out. I keep telling myself, This, too, shall pass....
    Last Relaxer: July 2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file