3A-Should I try Batia&AleezaGel or Curly Hair SolCurlKee

bectazbectaz Posts: 14Registered Users
Hi I'm still pretty new here. I've bought the curly girl book, read a lot, still need to learn a lot.

I have looked through styling products and both these seem pretty impressive - - any opinions? I'd prefer just to try one to begin with.

These are the two I'm looking at:

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper[/buylink]

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Batia--Aleeza-Bio-Herbal-Mineral-Sculpting-Gel-p-67.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=batia-aleeza-bioherbal-mineral-sculpting-gel]Batia & Aleeza Bio-Herbal Mineral Sculpting Gel[/buylink]

Opinions? Input?

I've just begun wearing my hair curly after fighting it - oh, my whole adult life :oops:

I'm 43 and caucasian. My hair is highlighted (mainly to hide they grey :lol: ) if that helps in terms of hair type.

I looked and from this site I'm most like a 3A - or via the CurlyGirl book - a Boticelli curl?

Becky
"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. " ~ Immanuel Kant

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I haven't personally used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] or B&A gel, but haven't heard many bad experiences with either. But I just had great luck at Sally's with Biotera styling gel and Aura Hypoallergenic gel. If you don't like them, it's not that difficult to get rid of them on the swap board.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I'm going to be of absolutely no help to you, but I'll chime in anyway. :lol: I LOVE both of these products, and the two together are one of my favorite summer combos. I personally could not pick one over the other... they're a different type of product and work very well together and in other combos. If you have to pick just one, figure out what you're looking for? Do you have a big problem with frizz? Is it really humid where you live? If so, I guess I'd go with the CK. If you're looking for definition, hold, and shine, go for the B&A. I use B&A any time of year, so I guess I'd consider it more versatile. CK I only use in the summer, and it's pretty much worthless to me in the cooler/drier months. However, in the summer I consider it a must for frizz control. Good luck!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • bectazbectaz Posts: 14Registered Users
    echokitten wrote:
    I haven't personally used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] or B&A gel, but haven't heard many bad experiences with either. But I just had great luck at Sally's with Biotera styling gel and Aura Hypoallergenic gel. If you don't like them, it's not that difficult to get rid of them on the swap board.

oh great - I have a Sally Beauty - I'll look.

Any advice on CG conditioners,etc? I have a feeling what I've got all has cones. :?
    "You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. " ~ Immanuel Kant
  • bectazbectaz Posts: 14Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Well, I'm going to be of absolutely no help to you, but I'll chime in anyway. :lol: I LOVE both of these products, and the two together are one of my favorite summer combos. I personally could not pick one over the other... they're a different type of product and work very well together and in other combos. If you have to pick just one, figure out what you're looking for? Do you have a big problem with frizz? Is it really humid where you live? If so, I guess I'd go with the CK. If you're looking for definition, hold, and shine, go for the B&A. I use B&A any time of year, so I guess I'd consider it more versatile. CK I only use in the summer, and it's pretty much worthless to me in the cooler/drier months. However, in the summer I consider it a must for frizz control. Good luck!

There are no dry months where I am LOL. It's wicked humid where I am. I call it swampville :D

So do you put the CG on and then put the other on top?

I didn't realize they could be used at the same time.

I don't have too much problem with frizz as long as I leave my hair alone after it dries. So far (and I'm still new to this) more a problem with definition.

It tends to begin with nice defined curl and then go kind of blah/messy as the day wears on.

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    bectaz wrote:
    echokitten wrote:

oh great - I have a Sally Beauty - I'll look.

Any advice on CG conditioners,etc? I have a feeling what I've got all has cones. :?

Hmmm, some of my faves are ( in no particular order)
    V05 Chamomile Tea Therapy (using currently)
    " Grapefruit Mandarin Volumizing
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]
    Suave Tropical Coconut, Daily Clarifying
    Nature's Gate Jojoba, Rainwater Awapuhi, Aloe, Organics GrapefruitGinger

For newbies, I would start with the VO5 Cham Tea, it has only one (i think) protein and it's really low on the list. I am speaking from experience that sometimes it's best to let your hair really have a break from proteins and silicones for several (6) weeks before unleashing your PJ on new products. I had the darndest time before I figured out that my hair really didn't like the proteins in my arsenal. So now I have a giant stash of junk to unload on my non-CG sister. :lol:
    That's also why I just started using the Aura/Biotera gels and VO5 and have had really great hair days since. (and it's been 4 months since I went CG) Good Luck!
    I'd hate for someone else to have to flounder for that long so...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In the summer, I use CK first, then a cream, then gel. The CK doesn't give me much hold, so my curls would wimp out in a couple of hours without gel. All it really gives me is frizz control, which is a big problem for me in the FL summers.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file