Hi, I'm new!

rabarrabar Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
Hi, I'm new to Curl Talk!  I have been addicted to this website for a couple of months now.  I just feel like I need to share my hair struggles with someone, although I am currently loving my hair.  I have all kinds of different curl patterns on my head, so it's hard to find good info based on hair type.  I have determined that my hair has low porosity, and that it is coarse, which helps me figure out what my hair needs.  Knowing this has also helped me figure out why the CG method did not work for me.  I bought the first edition of the book back in 2007, and did the original CG method for years, but still didn't love my hair.  And I always still wore it in a bun.  I finally read the second edition of the Curly Girl:  the Handbook a few months ago, and was surprised at how much the method had changed from the first edition.  I found this to be very frustrating.  (I know now that book is not meant for low-porosity coarse hair; it even says in the book that "as a rule, curly hair is more porous...", which is not a rule, as my hair is not porous at all; I guess I was frustrated with all the assumptions that the authors make about curly hair that don't apply to my hair.)
Anyhoo, I decided to ditch the method (since I still didn't feel good about wearing my hair down), and found Teri Laflesh's book, Curly Like Me.  I tried her method, but I'm not curly like her, and the weight of the conditioner left in my hair hurt my scalp.  So I stopped after a couple of months.  I then started using this website, and I have to say, I visit it every day!  I am always reading articles about hair, and going through the discussions on Curl Talk, Trendsetter, and browsing the products in the shop.  It was through Curl Talk that I found the science-y hair blog, which has been a game-changer for me.  I am back to using sulfate shampoo (Selsun Blue for my seborrheic dermatitis), and I pre-poo the night before with coconut oil.  I condition with an inexpensive, silicone-free conditioner, and use it as my leave-in too, squishing and scrunching away.  I using styling gel, applying it to my sopping-wet hair, using a "modified" praying-hands technique, scrunching and squishing that in too, from roots to tips.  I then plop with an old tee-shirt for about 30-45 minutes, then air dry.  I sleep at night wearing a satin bonnet to protect my curls.  It's taken many years to get here, but I find that what I am doing now is working for my hair!  I wear it down nearly everyday (except on third day hair), and I love it!  Even while breaking the "rules" of curly hair care!  (I guess this has been my biggest awakening regarding my hair:  I don't have to follow any rules, just do what's right for my hair.)
I'm so grateful to be able to share all this, and that so many people work hard just to have this website for people like me.  Thank y'all so much!
--Rachel (aka rabar)
rabar
2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
formerly CG method

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,950Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  I feel the same way - frustration with all these "rules" that just don't seem to apply to my hair.  So glad you found a method that works for you!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Love your story!  I third the feeling.  I think the Curly Girl Handbook and CGM is a great way to start embracing curls after years of damage, but you defiantly need to dive deep into the "science-y" stuff to truly unlock the secret to your unique curls! 

Glad to have you on board :) There needs to be more curlies online promoting the importance of understanding how your hair works instead of promoting "generalized" rules. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • rabarrabar Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    rabar
    formerly CG method
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome! We are glad to have you and your experience. I'm sure I speak for the whole board, but we are honored that we were able to help you along the way!
  • WallseyWallsey Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hello! I'm also new to CurlTalk, and new to the Curly Girl Method. I started just over a month ago and already I'm seeing some curl appear which is encouraging! From what I've deduced so far I'm mainly 2c, with some 2b and 3a thrown in. There are also 2 straight bits right underneath at the back which are really confusing me! My hair is coarse, very dense and (I think) high porosity. I've basically spent the last 34 years trying to decrease the volume with straighteners and heavy conditioners and oils and I've had enough. I've decided to embrace the curls! I've spent years under the hairdryer trying to get it straight (and dry, it takes forever to dry!) but now no more! I've been diffusing for about 20mins to get it started but then just leave it, which still means it takes another 6 hours to fully dry but at least I can get something else done while it does! It's been so much better. The curly fringe is taking some getting used to but I'm just going to go with it! I'm so happy I've found this site, it's been so much help! 
    Wallsey said:
    Hello! I'm also new to CurlTalk, and new to the Curly Girl Method. I started just over a month ago and already I'm seeing some curl appear which is encouraging! From what I've deduced so far I'm mainly 2c, with some 2b and 3a thrown in. There are also 2 straight bits right underneath at the back which are really confusing me! My hair is coarse, very dense and (I think) high porosity. I've basically spent the last 34 years trying to decrease the volume with straighteners and heavy conditioners and oils and I've had enough. I've decided to embrace the curls! I've spent years under the hairdryer trying to get it straight (and dry, it takes forever to dry!) but now no more! I've been diffusing for about 20mins to get it started but then just leave it, which still means it takes another 6 hours to fully dry but at least I can get something else done while it does! It's been so much better. The curly fringe is taking some getting used to but I'm just going to go with it! I'm so happy I've found this site, it's been so much help! 
    That's so awesome!  Have you read the book by Lorraine Massey?  It's a wonderful book; she inspired me to start embracing what I have.  How are you liking the CG (Curly Girl) Method so far?
    rabar
    formerly CG method
    rabar said:
    That's so awesome!  Have you read the book by Lorraine Massey?  It's a wonderful book; she inspired me to start embracing what I have.  How are you liking the CG (Curly Girl) Method so far?
    Not yet! I watched the video she did on YouTube but I need to find the actual book. I'm really liking it so far. It's a little confusing working out exactly what my hair likes but through a little trial and error, I'm starting to get there. I thought as I have high porosity I would need lots of protein but that didn't work. I made a DIY mask with avocado, honey and my usual moisturiser and my hair went so stiff as soon as I put it on. I immediately rinsed it and it was so tangled so I deep conditioned and applied heat. Weirdly though, that's the curliest my hair has been after that wash so I'm really not sure what that was about! I think now it might have been protein overload. Who knows! I cut out protein products and switched to really moisturising ones and that went really well for a while but now I've started losing curl definition and my hair's gone a bit stringy so I think I need to have protein at least once a week. Lol, I also told all this to my fiance yesterday and he looked at me as if I'd lost my mind!

One thing's for sure, I need to stop buying products for a while! I've become obsessed! I just ordered some Shea Moisture and Deva Curl products to add to the other CG approved things I've bought recently and I'm going to try to stick to a routine with those for the next month and see how it goes. I noticed you have course hair too, have you found any products that have helped? I got some of the black Jamaican castor oil and found adding that to the ends and anywhere I have more damage before bed helps.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,950Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome @Wallsey!  I'm so glad you're seeing progress!  As far as your DIY mask, honey and avocados have no protein, so unless there was protein in your conditioner, it wasn't protein overload that caused your hair to go stiff.  Plus the protein in foods are too large to affect your hair.  Don't be afraid of protein! 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome @Wallsey!  I'm so glad you're seeing progress!  As far as your DIY mask, honey and avocados have no protein, so unless there was protein in your conditioner, it wasn't protein overload that caused your hair to go stiff.  Plus the protein in foods are too large to affect your hair.  Don't be afraid of protein! 
    Hi "Guide 65"! Thank you, that's so interesting! Huh! I wonder why it made my hair stiff then? Maybe it just doesn't like the avocado. I'll try it again and see what happens!
     I noticed you have course hair too, have you found any products that have helped? I got some of the black Jamaican castor oil and found adding that to the ends and anywhere I have more damage before bed helps.
    Yes, it's very coarse, and unfortunately, not very soft; when I started the CG Method (1st edition) years ago, my hair got really soft, but my curls got limp and stretched-out-looking, and they were still way too frizzy to wear down, so I would put them up in a bun everyday.  My scalp also stayed in bad shape--it never felt clean, and it was always flaking.  I don't know why, but I just kept doing it that way for years.  (I'm not trying to say you should stop--it's a great method, as long as it's working for your hair!  I did find that brushing my hair, either wet or dry, was doing more damage than anything; I'm grateful for the CG Method, even though it's not working for my curls.)

Just recently I went back to using sulfate shampoo (it's medicated to help with my dandruff), but I still try to avoid silicones.  I pre-poo with coconut oil overnight before each wash.  My hair is not as soft as it used to be on the CG Method, and it's still just as frizzy, but I'm getting tighter curls and waves and better definition.  I haven't found my magic products or routines yet.  Today I tried a protein treatment using gelatin (I got the recipe from the science-y hair blog).  My hair is still drying, so I can't really say if it's helped or not, but either I did not rinse it out well enough and it's having an adverse reaction to my conditioner and gel, or the conditioner doesn't like my new gel (it's the first time I'm using them together).  My hair is not as shiny as it usually is, and there are a lot of white specks in my hair (i know, right?).

It's not the first time I've used protein, but it's my first protein treatment; I keep trying new things, but my hair just doesn't seem to like treatments (moisturizing deep-conditioning treatments have no effect).  I think it's because my hair is both coarse and low-porosity, but I could be wrong.  And nothing, nothing I try helps with the frizz (except sleeping with a satin bonnet on--it reduces 2nd-day frizz only).

Avocados have a little protein in them (most fruits and vegetables do have at least a little).  My hair doesn't seem to like honey.  It felt drier and more tangly after I tried a DIY with my conditioner, coconut oil, and honey.

You may want to check out the "Confused about protein?" thread under "Recent Discussions".  Guide65 posted a youtube video link that I found very interesting, if you haven't seen it yet.  I also recommend the science-y hair blog (google search); it's very informational, and I love knowing why, why, why.

Sorry this is so long.  I do go on!

PS your curls are very beautiful!
    rabar
    formerly CG method
    @rabar Thank you! It's so strange you should mention your hair lost curl definition because I seem to be having the same problem right now. My hair's gone super soft but 2 weeks ago I had mainly 2c with some 3a ringlets coming and all of a sudden my curls have gone really soft and limp, mainly 2a with some 2b. I did a sulphate shampoo to clarify today followed with a deep conditioner in case it was build up but that's made it even worse. I'm starting to think I may have moisture overload. I may post in the main thread and see what people think!

I've started watching the video you suggested, it's really interesting and helpful! Protein and porosity are the two things that really confuse me. Thank you so much! How did your protein mask work? x
    Wallsey said:
    @rabar Thank you! It's so strange you should mention your hair lost curl definition because I seem to be having the same problem right now. My hair's gone super soft but 2 weeks ago I had mainly 2c with some 3a ringlets coming and all of a sudden my curls have gone really soft and limp, mainly 2a with some 2b. I did a sulphate shampoo to clarify today followed with a deep conditioner in case it was build up but that's made it even worse. I'm starting to think I may have moisture overload. I may post in the main thread and see what people think!

I've started watching the video you suggested, it's really interesting and helpful! Protein and porosity are the two things that really confuse me. Thank you so much! How did your protein mask work? x
    @Wallsey the protein treatment didn't make much difference on my hair.  But that's no big surprise--my hair is pretty healthy right now.  I wasn't trying to get any specific result, I just wanted to see if it would do anything.  My hair feels the same:  not too dry or crunchy, but not soft, either.  I just have a lot of frizz, before and after the treatment.  I don't think there's anything I can do about it; it doesn't change with the weather (I'm near New Orleans, and it stays pretty humid year-round), even when humidity is very low (for us) or it's cold outside, or when it's really hot and humid.  The only thing I notice is that my hair takes forever to dry when it's raining outside.  Only flat-ironing takes care of the frizz, but I'm trying to do that less (it's been almost a year since I've done that).  If you try the gelatin treatment, here's a tip:  when you are finished making it, put it in a squeeze bottle and apply it to your hair like that; it stays very liquid-y and runny (I added two tbsp of coconut oil to it); I had to wrap a t-shirt around my neck to catch the drips.  I made a HUGE mess in my bathroom, but it was way overdue for a good cleaning, so no big deal.

It was a good video, wasn't it?  Thanks, @Guide 65 for posting it!
    rabar
    formerly CG method
  • bobbybobby Posts: 783Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome to CurlTalk, ladies! You're going to love this board. Cheers, curlfriends!
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file