Towels

Wavymomto2curliesWavymomto2curlies Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Found this article but has anyone actually tried any of these? As a mom on a budget, I'd prefer not to spend $25 per towel for the 3 people in my house who need non Terry cloth towels
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/the-5-most-unlikely-but-effective-hair-drying-towels
2b-c, course, high density, high porosity

Too new for product preferences

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    No I haven’t tried those specific ones. The ones from Amazon are a good price for 24 of them. I have tried the microfiber twist turbies and they are ok. I’ve also seen microfiber towels for cars at 2 or 3 dollars each. There are definitely affordable options all the way to reusing paper towels.
  • rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried old 100% cotton t-shirts?  That's what I use for my hair; I know everyone raves about microfiber, but my hair doesn't mix well with polyester.  I know it's wet when it touches it, but to me microfiber is like molecular velcro (I know it doesn't stick to anything when it's wet, but it does when it's dry...I just can't get past that).  Just my opinion :)
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I like to use flour sack towels.  You should be able to find them in the kitchen towels area at Target.  They're cheap and they work well.  I feel the same about microfiber as @rabar.  They were no improvement at all over terrycloth, plus they require special handling in the laundry (no fabric softener, hang to dry).  I don't have time for that nonsense when it's just a towel.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65, huh. I feel dumb. Never knew there were handling instructions. Mine goes through the dryer with fabric softener. I will have to start washing them with delicates and see how it goes.
  • Wavymomto2curliesWavymomto2curlies Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited March 14
    @rabar I've been using a t-shirt but it doesn't seem to remove enough water... Like it still takes 4+ hrs for my hair to fully air dry... And my hair isn't even shoulder length. I hadn't though slota the texture of the towel so I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping.
    2b-c, course, high density, high porosity

Too new for product preferences
    @rabar I've been using a t-shirt but it doesn't seem to remove enough water... Like it still takes 4+ hrs for my hair to fully air dry... And my hair isn't even shoulder length. I hadn't though slota the texture of the towel so I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping.
    I agree about the t-shirt not absorbing enough water!  I tried slipping a microfiber hand towel into my old t-shirt the other day (to plop), to see if it would soak up more water.  It didn't work.  Microfiber might soak up more water in the long run, but it takes a long time to start soaking up the water.  The microfiber towel inside the T-shirt had a couple of small wet spots on it, but other than that it was completely dry.  I might try slipping a cotton hand towel into the t-shirt next, to see if that helps.

As far as the texture of the towel, please don't take my word for it--I haven't looked at it under a microscope or anything.  It's just my personal hypothesis :smile:
    rabar
    formerly CG method
    BrittanyM said:
    @Guide 65, huh. I feel dumb. Never knew there were handling instructions. Mine goes through the dryer with fabric softener. I will have to start washing them with delicates and see how it goes.
    Yeah, me too!  I put it in the dryer--that's probably why it sticks to everything.  I did learn not to wash them with my regular cotton towels, though.  They love picking up the lint!
    rabar
    formerly CG method
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use flour sack towels. I've never tried the special curly towels.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I still use 100% cotton terry turban towels (Turbie Twist are the best ones, around $7). I've used them for years and they work perfectly. I hate the feel of microfiber towels and see no difference when I use them so I gave them up.
    I wash my turban towels like any other laundry. I haven't used fabric softener in decades so my towels don't lose their absorbancy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    rabar said:
    I agree about the t-shirt not absorbing enough water!  I tried slipping a microfiber hand towel into my old t-shirt the other day (to plop), to see if it would soak up more water.  It didn't work.  Microfiber might soak up more water in the long run, but it takes a long time to start soaking up the water.  The microfiber towel inside the T-shirt had a couple of small wet spots on it, but other than that it was completely dry.  I might try slipping a cotton hand towel into the t-shirt next, to see if that helps.
    I did try slipping a 100% cotton terry cloth hand towel into my old t-shirt this morning before I plopped my wet hair, and I have to say, it soaked up quite a bit of water!  My hair wasn't nearly as wet as it usually is with just the t-shirt, and I didn't leave it on as long (I left it on maybe 20 minutes, vs my usual 45 min or so).  Although my hair was not as wet as usual after plopping, and it didn't take as long to dry, it still took a few hours for it to air dry completely.  So next time I think I'll leave it on for longer (the t-shirt and towel were not completely wet when I removed them, so in theory they could both soak up more water), to see if it shortens my air-drying time significantly.  But even if it doesn't, today was a nice change from my usual heavy, waterlogged, cold hair.
    rabar
    formerly CG method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file