Does anyone have any tips on using SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque?

rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
edited March 2019 in Readers' Product Reviews
Hi!  I'm planning on clarifying my hair and decided to splurge on a deep conditioning treatment.  I made a DIY deep conditioner a couple of weeks ago with coconut oil, honey, and my regular conditioner, and it did not do well on my hair, so I'm leery about trying another DIY so soon.  I picked up the "Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque w/Sea Kelp & Argan Oil" (such a long name!) at CVS today, and then read reviews about it online (I wish I had read the reviews first--lesson learned!).  I was wondering if anybody on Curl Talk had tried it recently, and if it worked for you right out of the jar or if you had to tweak it, or if you tried it in a different way--just in case my hair does not play well with it tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

PS this is the one with the gold label on the jar
rabar
2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
formerly CG method

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I used it when I first started out. I liked it but didn't repurchase it. I would try and see what you think. I think some people used it as a styling cream and the directions says you can mix it with olive oil too for deep conditioning. I think I found it to be not as moisturizing as other SM masques. Its funny you brought this up as I was considering repurchasing the conditioner from this line since I liked it and could use it as a leave in.
  • rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 2019
    Ok, I tried it:
    I clarified my hair (VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze--that's for another post!) and then applied the masque to my hair.  I've never tried anything with shea butter in it before (except the SM smoothie), and I found the texture of the product odd, but not unpleasant.  The product didn't have any fragrance added, so it smelled similar to clay--not a bad smell, or a strong smell.  In my opinion, it didn't have much slip, but I was putting it on in the shower on my sopping wet hair, so it wasn't too bad.  I did end up using half the jar for this one use, which I'm not really happy about, but at least I can use it one more time.  When I got out of the shower, I did not squeeze out any moisture; I clipped it into a bun, covered it with two plastic caps, and then my satin bonnet.  I did not apply any external heat.

I left it on for about seven hours; I had considered leaving it in until this morning, but my hair was still really wet, and the masque was pretty runny at this point, so I decided to rinse it out.  (I know the directions suggested five to 30 minutes, but I didn't apply heat and my hair takes forever to absorb anything.)  Anyhoo, I rinsed it out with hot water, and like I said, there wasn't much slip, so I added my regular conditioner to my hair--not as much as I usually do, but just enough to detangle.  Then I did my regular super-scrunch-and-squeeze routine, and applied a lot of gel to my sopping wet hair.

Results:  I have to say, it's not that bad.  Not what I really expected, but I did notice that my hair dried in under four hours (without diffusing)--that never happens!  Now, I don't know if that was because of the masque or the clarifying shampoo, but it was very nice :).  I slept in my other satin bonnet, and my hair this morning was fairly frizz-free, but it was also much shinier than usual.  It did not feel dried-out, although it didn't feel like it was extra-moisturized, either.  

So, I'm going to give it an 8 out of 10 for right now; I doubt I'll buy it again (I don't like the idea of only getting two uses out of it for $15--but I'm cheap) unless it's on sale.  But I'm pretty satisfied with the results.  I'll let y'all know how it goes the next time I use it (probably in a couple of weeks).

Thanks for listening!
    rabar
    formerly CG method
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Yay for hair drying faster!  When your hair takes forever to try it's so exciting when it starts speeding up haha
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I thought I remember it not having much slip. I rather liked the smell. I even bought the hair fragrance from that line because I loved the smell. If you aren't protein sensitive, I highly recommend the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque (I have bought this masque 4 times and I never let it run out without buying another one). What did you think of the v05 shampoo? Just curious. It's a great clarifying shampoo in my opinion but curious what you thought.
  • rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    I thought I remember it not having much slip. I rather liked the smell. I even bought the hair fragrance from that line because I loved the smell. If you aren't protein sensitive, I highly recommend the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque (I have bought this masque 4 times and I never let it run out without buying another one). What did you think of the v05 shampoo? Just curious. It's a great clarifying shampoo in my opinion but curious what you thought.
    It was all right.  It didn't strip my hair like I thought it might; my hair wasn't as dried out as it is when I use my regular sulfate shampoo.  And the price was great :)
    rabar
    formerly CG method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file