Chronic itchy scalp getting worse

KLW17KLW17 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
I've had a chronically itchy scalp for as long as I can remember. No matter what products I use or how often I wash my hair (I've averaged 2x a week for many years, even longer as a kid). My scalp has NO redness or flaky/scaly dandruff. It doesn't ever feel excessively oily unless I've gone 4+ days without washing and at that point will have a very small amount of soft oily white buildup. 

I've used dandruff shampoo (before I went sulfate/silicone free), tea tree, peppermint oil, aloe vera juice...I've tried all sorts of things. I have a shampoo brush I use every time I wash my hair and take great care to rinse everything out and am careful not to get any leave-in products on my scalp. Nothing has helped at all. I'm still itching even as my freshly washed hair is drying! I've been using the same products for a few months--Acure Mega Moisture shampoo + conditioner. The last 2 washes my scalp has been burning and itching worse than ever. It never used to burn before. I'm going crazy! I just want some relief. 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    That sounds really annoying.  I used to get one spot that was itchy every winter, but it went away when I started CG.

Have you tried massaging your scalp with oil?  Have you tried cowashing instead of shampooing?

I'm sorry I'm not much help.  Maybe someone else will have some better ideas.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I would try going to a dermatologist, since this has been ongoing.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Emily.FischbEmily.Fischb Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    The burning part sounds pretty yeasty imo.  Have you tried switching to products that don't feed them?  It seemed like no matter what product or method i tried, my scalp was ALWAYS itchy.  Dermatitis, eczema and compromised skin barriers run in the family and my mom has  malasezzia on her scalp and it's burning itchy and had red inflamed patches.  she's been to dermatologists they give her antifungals but every time she thinks 'this is it finally killed them off' it came back.  Had to cut out any product with oil that it could feed on.  I've personally had good luck with KCKT leave in conditioner, and happy cappy shampoo.  (way better than any other dandruff shampoo, cleans but doesn't strip my hi-po hair.)  This has a great safe product list, but it's depressingly short....https://simpleskincarescience.com/pityrosporum-folliculitis-treatment-malassezia-cure/   I hope this helps!

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Therese.  I would see a derm if you can manage it.  Sorry you are experiencing that!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • andreajones188andreajones188 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
    Itchy Scalp driving you crazy? An itchy scalp is one of the most common and unpleasant hair care struggles we face. A itchy dry scalp mainly comes from lack of moisture, which is why you’ll most likely experience it in the winter. People often mistake a itchy dry scalp for dandruff. THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you have dandruff, your flakes will be large and your scalp will be extremely oily. If you have a itchy dry scalp, your flakes will be small and dry in texture. Below we’ll be answering your most asked questions on why this happens and how to prevent, it so you can say GOODBYE to an itchy scalp.

REMEDIES FOR AN ITCHY SCALP

• Cleanse hair daily. Shampooing hair with a hydrating cleanser helps to combat itchy scalp. Pai-Shau Replenishing Hair Cleanser has a tea-infused formula that nourishes and adds moisture back to the hair and scalp. TIP: Mix in Baking Powder with your Replenishing Hair Cleanser for a DIY Scalp Scrub. Use as much, or as little as you prefer.  Shampooing is one of the best remedies for dry scalp.
    • Use Scalp Brush. Exfoliate your scalp with a shampoo brush, like the one found here. You should always massage the scalp when cleansing, because this will get rid of flakes and will scrub away dead skin cells. This brush will give a thorough deep cleansing by removing dirt and product build up. Using scalp brush is the best remedies for itchy scalp.
    • Apply a hair mask weekly. After you exfoliate, it’s essential to add moisture back into your hair. We recommend using Pai-Shau Supreme Revitalizing Mask (moisturizing mask for hair). Leave this mask on for 5-10 minutes for a deep condition. This mask contains a rare blend of high-performance cationic polymers, which results in weightless moisture. Applying hair mask is the one of the effective remedies for dry scalp.
    • Brush your hair. By brushing your hair daily, it will distribute the perfect amount of natural oils from your scalp to your hair. This will prevent the pores in your scalp from clogging up and aids the shedding of skin cells. Brushing hair is one of the effective remedies for dry scalp.
    • Lock in the moisture. Lock in the moisture by applying daily hair moisturizer Pai-Shau Something To BeLeave-In. This MulTEAtasker Spray will ensure that your hair will stay moisturized and protected until your next wash day.  

Dry Itchy scalp is the common causes that can be seen. To get rid of the itchy scalp follow the effective remedies.

If you think you have eczema, psoriasis, or fungus, see a dermatologist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file