Confused about oils

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
Can you wash out oils with a non sulfate shampoo (cg approved cleanser)?  I bought a small bottle of John Masters Organic oils (mixture of lightweight oils) which I'd like to use to add shine and control flyaways but will it wash out with a cg approved cleanser?  Some youtubers say oils are great, others say no no if you are cg.  What is your experience? 
In the winter I had to roller set my hair because my curls got smashed under hats, but warmer weather is coming so hopefully can wear my curls more often and trying to find the best methods.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi!  If the shampoo contains non-sulfate surfactants (like cocamidopropyl betaine), in theory it will be able to wash the oil out of your hair.  The more oil you use, the more shampoo you will need (or you may have to shampoo twice if your hair is saturated with the oil).  Here's just one article on surfactants (copy and paste into address bar):  https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/cetrimonium-chloride-5-more-surfactants-curly-hair-actually-loves-si

As far as whether you should use oils or not, I would say try it and see if your hair likes it.  Everybody's hair is different, and what may not work for someone else might work wonders on your hair.  As far as the CG method goes, oils are not "forbidden", but that doesn't mean they will work well in your hair.

There are so many things to consider when using oils!  Different oils have different properties, so one oil may work well with your hair while another oil may not.  The point at which you use it in your routine can also make a difference.  For example, I can use organic coconut oil on my hair as a pre-poo, but it's terrible on my low-porosity hair at any point after the wash.  So trial-and-error may be your best bet.

There is a blog that I find very helpful when deciding what products to use on my hair; it doesn't give me a specific answer for my hair, but it helps me narrow down what I would like to try.  Google "science-y hair blog".  It has a lot of information that seems well-researched, and it does contain information about the molecular differences between different types of oils.  The information is more helpful if you know your hair's porosity level, density, and thickness (fine or coarse), so if you don't know these, you may want to find out.

Hope this helps!
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry Curly Pearl, I see in your signature that you totally know your hair already!  I hope I didn't offend!
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2019
    It looks like they have several oils.  I took a quick look and  they aren't all pure oil.  Which one specifically are you looking at?  If any of the ingredients in the product ends in  -cone or -xane it is not CG and will need a sulfate to remove.  

Non-sulfate shampoo can remove oil from the hair (as long as it doesn't contain silicone).  Though some people (like myself) find they may need to wash twice if too much oil is used. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    when it comes to using oil, it's 100% trial and error.  I have found that even when your hair sounds and looks like someone else, doesn't mean it can handle the same thing.    I have a hard time using even a pea size of the lightest oil.  I can handle it a bit more in the winter, but my hair overall is not a fan of straight oil.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Rabar, thanks so much for the great detailed response! You certainly didn't offend me, and I am grateful for the helpful information. I will google that blog.  I find that even after so many years of learning about curly hair, there is always something new for me to learn!
    Tinks, thanks also for chiming in!  You are right - I know it is trial and error.  I was lazy (ha ha) and wanted an instant answer.  None of the oils in the product I have end in xane or cone, so I will bite the bullet and try it out.  I love how silicones look in my hair, but I know long term that's not the answer. 
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Curly pearl! Always nice to see you again!
    I use oils as a pre poo and don't have an issue washing them out with a sulfate free shampoo. I even used to be able to wash them out with a cowash when my hair was really damaged but I can't do that anymore. I find shampooing then conditioning will remove them easily. Though I do use a sulfate shampoo once a month in case they do build up.
    Brittany, thanks for your (always) good suggestions!  I always use sulfate shampoo about every 3 weeks because I dye my hair and need it to be absolutely sure of removing the dye. I haven't ever done a pre-poo, but I will try that.  Also I'm planning to use a tiny amount of the oil to add shine as a finishing touch.  BTW I use Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as a deep condish whenever I use a sulfate shampoo.  That stuff is amazing.  
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I hear good things about Curl junkie especially the rehab. If I ever find it somewhere on discount, I know I will snatch it up. My poor bleached hair will appreciate it.
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I use coconut oil on my scalp for my psoriasis and find it washes out no bother with a low poo.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie, interesting.   Good to know!  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file