Best way to darken medium brown hair

RoanlivingRoanliving Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I have med/dark brown hair that I would like to darken. What is a healthy and effective way to do so? 

I'm trying to grow my hair out and I'm ready to mix it up, I'd rather go darker than lighter so I dont have to deal with bleach and such 

Comments

• elmaasheley147elmaasheley147 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited March 5
    Ohh wow, its looking so pretty. Do you dye it at home dear? 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure how I missed this post last month. I am assuming we are not talking black hair. For a temporary change, tea rinses can stain your hair darker. Semi permanent is a great way to darken with 0 damage (they will rinse out and rinse out quickly on virgin hair. On bleached hair, they may permanently stain). For a more permanent situation, demi permanent is the least damaging route. It only deposits color, so very little damage is sustained (you probably won't even notice any damage). If you are going for a different undertone (like blue or violet or red), it might be more damaging because you need to lift the hair slightly first to get those tones to show. Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    In addition to the tea rinses @BrittanyM mentioned, you could also try coffee, walnuts, sage, and rosemary. I used to use them all when I had dark hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file