In shower wash routine?

pnwkatypnwkaty Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited November 2018 in Hair Type 2
I've been on the CG method for a month or so now. I've been experimenting with all sorts of products, combos, methods of applying product, and drying methods. I'm so frustrated finding something that works.

My hair is mostly 2b on a bad day. 2b/c on a good day, and sometimes I even see 3a curls come in by my neck. 
I believe I have medium thickness hair (I can feel the strand between my fingers but not much), medium to low density, for elasticity my hair will stretch but sometimes comes back and sometimes doesn't, in places it breaks too so I never know if I need protein or moisture. Idk what my porosity is (strand feels mostly smooth when I run my fingers up it, but I can't tell how it reacts to product. Takes anywhere from 2-3 hours to fully air dry).

My problem lately is limp waves and just overall messiness. I haven't settled into a routine because I can't find what works. 

Lately, though I've been using Deva no poo every other day or every three days followed by Deva one condition. I use a wide tooth comb with the conditioner in to detangle. I use Deva b'leave in on soaking wet hair in the shower and scrunch up. Then I follow with Deva light defining gel scrunching up too. I get out and flip my hair upright and scrunch more. Sometimes I use a t-shirt to lightly scrunch out excess water. I use buildup buster or a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo once a week because I get build up I think and my hair looked decent after doing that one time.

I've tried Deva wavemaker too sometimes. I can't tell if makes things worse or not. 

I've tried rinsing my hair upside down the in the shower and detangling and applying product upside down. But then when I get out and turn my hair upright it's an absolute bird's nest:

I find that if I finger or wide tooth comb it makes my hair limp or less curly but if I don't it's a matted horrible mess. 

Please help and give any advice!

2b/c | low/normal porosity | medium thickness | low/medium density | CGM

Best Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 542 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like it's time to clarify!  Even when using CG friendly products, you can still experience build up.  This is especially an issue for low porosity curies (which it sounds like you are based on how  long your hair takes to dry).  

Finding what to clarify with and how often to clarify is going to be another fun trial & error CG adventure, but well worth it!

Here is my favorite clarifying rinse I got from the official CG Handbook.

LEMON AID RINSE

Combine juice of 1 large lemon* with your usual amount of conditioner, then rinse through hair thoroughly.'

NOTE: A lot of people find 1/2 a lemon is enough as for some this can be drying. Also, for best results it should be thoroughly rinsed out and follow by regular conditioning.

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    If you were protein sensitive, then the Deva products wouldn't work for you as they would make your hair very dry and brittle. It doesn't sound like that's what's happening. To me it sounds like you should keep up with the protein treatments. I don't know what your routine was like before you went natural, but if your hair is damaged in any way, protein will help with the breakage and frizz. If you do a protein treatment and find that your hair is actually more dry and brittle than before, that's how you know if your hair is protein sensitive. If your hair is protein loving, a protein treatment will actually make your hair more moisturized and hold moisture better. 

As far as styling, praying hands might not be the best way to apply products for your wavy hair. Try raking the products through your hair upright, then flip over and scrunch to get the waves/curls to form. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,202 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Don't flip your head upside down. It just causes your hair to clump with hair is shouldn't making your hair a mess. I know all the Youtubers do the upside down thing, but just try styling without flipping your head upside down. Even scrunch upright. If you find you don't get volume, clipping will help and we'll tackle that issue later if need be.
    P.S. The Shea Moisture won't clarify your hair. From my experience and anti-sulfate the first year I did CG, I got terrible build up. Baking soda, ACV, lemon juice, nothing would remove it except a sulfate. Sulfates are not damaging when used occassionally (just not every day) and are actually beneficial if you have build up.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I would definitely clarify with a sulfate before doing anything else. Build-up can be tenacious, and sulfates usually make short work of it. Judicious use of sulfates is a good thing. :)

As far as being protein sensitive, you can also get overmoisturized, straightish hair from protein, although that is a less common reaction than brittleness. (I am one whose hair reacts to protein overload by getting overmoisturized and stretchy and straighter.) So you're right, it can be really tricky to determine what is what. If you want to find out if you are protein sensitive, I would try removing protein from your routine and doing some deep conditioning with a protein-free conditioner. Be careful to avoid grain extracts (like quinoa extract, wheat extract, etc.), because those can act like proteins. If you go on a protein-free regimen and your hair starts improving (it would probably take one to two weeks), then you will know that you need to reduce your protein use.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• pnwkatypnwkaty Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited November 2018
    @tinksaysboo I use SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo about once a week to clarify. I'm afraid of clarifying with something with sulfates (not CGM) or too often. I'll give the lemon rinse a try. 

Will clarifying help the messiness too? Or does anyone have advice for product application that won't prevent clumping? I use the praying hands method to smooth product over my hair then scrunch and pump. I think I'll try rinsing and applying product upright again after clarifying... 

(5 hours was probably an exaggeration for drying time, but definitely around 2 hours for everything to be COMPLETELY dry.)

This process/journey is exhausting haha.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 542Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Try the lemon rinse, but since you are using the shampoo clarifying might not be the issue.  Are you doing any type of protein treatment? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

edited November 2018
    @tinksaysboo I used Deva Deep Sea Repair recently, but most of my products have protein in them too. I've deep conditioned with the Melt Into Moisture mask too. (I went Gung-ho with Deva when I decided to go natural). I worried about protein sensitivity because I was also getting some fuzz/frizz but it's so hard to tell what the heck my hair needs when the symptoms of so many different issues can be the same or similar. 

Is there an easy way to tell if I'm protein sensitive vs need protein? I've read a ton of articles and done the elasticity test as I mentioned in my original post, but yeah, it's hard to tell what part of my routine is causing problems. 
    @cnic216 thank you! After I do a protein treatment I'm guessing I should just let it dry without styling product so I know whatever dryness, if any, is from the protein treatment and not product, right?
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 542Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I like this chart to help determine if your hair is suffering from too much protein or not enough.

• WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Posts: 22Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @tinksaysboo that is a great chart, thanks!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have seen the above chart, but I don't think it tells the entire story. Sometimes when I get protein overload, my hair gets stretchy--it is because the proteins are holding too much water in the strand, which is in effect creating too much moisture. So it can be really tricky sometimes to figure out whether your hair needs more protein or more deep conditioning.

Here is what the Science-y Hair Blog has to say:

Signs of too much protein: Using protein too often, or using a protein-containing product that is too concentrated for your hair, or using the wrong protein for your hair can cause negative effects that almost seem to contradict each other:
    • Hair can become stiff, tangly, sticky, brittle, curl pattern can be affected, it can feel dry and have too much volume
    • Hair can become overly soft, limp, flat and lose its wave or curl. Or overly smooth.
    Doesn't that sound contradictory? It's true - and the same person could have both negative results under different conditions. 

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited February 13
    I swear by doing the whole wash and styling routine upside down.. I condition my hair and detangle it in the shower upside down and rinse it like that, rake in my products and scrunch upside down, and diffuse upside down. 

Probably terrible for my neck in the long run, but it prevents that rat's nest mess that takes me forever to comb out and ruins the clumps.  And it gives great volume! 
    2C Fine, long hair, a ton of it. Blonde balayage. East Coast Canadian. 

Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo
    Monthly Scalp Cleanse: Baking Soda/Conditioner/Peppermint Essential Oil
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Conditioner
    Styling: Devacurl Volumizing Foam, Devacurl Wave Maker, Garnier Curl Treat Jelly
    Refresh Day: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle, Devacurl Supercream
    Deep Condition: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Treatment

My whole wash routine is upside-down... detangling, rinsing, applying products, scrunching, diffusing... the bigger the waves, the better!  
  • Libby_Libby_ Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Novice
    when i first started the CGM i kept trying to style upside down and never had good results. i had lots of volume if i diffused to 100% dry but my hair clumped in ways that looked very weird once flipped over. I recently saw a instagram video by @powerdomi where she does some upside down styling but incorporates right-side up styling as well to get the back and underside to fall in a more natural way and that has worked really well for me! i definitely have to separate my underneath layers while styling upside down in order to avoid weird tangles and clumping, as long as i make sure there is enough water in my hair when doing so, i have been getting really good results. 
    Curly Girl as of December 2015
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture coconut and Habiscus
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Habiscus 
    Styling Cream: DevaCurl Styling cream
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
    air dry or diffuse on low heat and power
     Just got a "big chop" after going through a phase of occasionally heat styling again for a few months 
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I swear by doing the whole wash and styling routine upside down.. I condition my hair and detangle it in the shower upside down and rinse it like that, rake in my products and scrunch upside down, and diffuse upside down. 

Probably terrible for my neck in the long run, but it prevents that rat's nest mess that takes me forever to comb out and ruins the clumps.  And it gives great volume! 
    Haha, I feel the same way about the neck thing! Because I have a lot less wave in my hair, I don't rake in my products but I do scrunch and diffuse upside down. I recently got the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie and I use a really small amount after I use a really small amount of conditioner b/c I have a pretty thick conditioner and my hair is very easily weighed down (open to lighter, cheap recommendations on good conditioners for fine hair if anyone has any) and then I use a gel to give me hold. 
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,202Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Libby_, do you recall which post it is she did this in? I browsed her Instagram and could only find a bowl technique with scrunching side to side.
  • WavynewbieWavynewbie Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi there wavies! I am also new to CG- about 6 weeks. Figuring out this protein balance this is tricky. The science-y hair blog has great information! I realized that my hair does NOT like wheat protein - which is found in many Deva Curl products. After I've balanced my hair and use products with wheat protein, my curls look great! But after a few days I'm back to stiff and dry hair. I think the protein is too large and that's the problem. Maybe try researching on the blog I mentioned smaller proteins (this is my next attempt at incorporating protein) such as kertain or soy. 
    But definitely check out the blog...http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/
    edited February 28
    BrittanyM said:
    @Libby_, do you recall which post it is she did this in? I browsed her Instagram and could only find a bowl technique with scrunching side to side.
    I just went back and looked and it was about 10 posts ago. She posted it on January 20th. It's multiple video clips she put together in a post but the main photo you'll see is of her holding a giant plastic mixing bowl and it says "the bowl method" right in the photo
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
     Just got a "big chop" after going through a phase of occasionally heat styling again for a few months 
    Thanks, I will check it out!
    @BrittanyM I guess she isnt really upside down in that video. i was thinking she was sorry. thats as close to styling upside down as i can do with my hair otherwise it doesnt clump properly 
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I do get kinda odd clumps ( I shower upside down) but I honestly don't remember how to shower w/ my waves right side up! I find that if I do the Double Application Method by Real Life + Curly Girl on YouTube right side up I can get my waves to clump a bit better and have my part be better the way I want it to dry. Kind of a combo between right side up and upside down. My shower routine: I flip my head over, wetting it with lukewarmish water. I take a decent quarter-sized amount of shampoo, gently massage/scrub all over my scalp and bring it gently down the shaft of my hair. Once it's all rinsed out, I take a really small amount of the avocado mask and detangle my hair by just applying to the bottom half of my around collarbone/shoulder length hair. I attempt to squish to condish and then rinse. I squish out some of the water (still upside down). I take a pretty big glob of ECO gel (I have small hands, so think a decent sized half dollar or two) and smooth and scrunch. I apply more into different spots in my hair. I plop w/ my Tubie Turban for 5-15 minutes and then I apply about a quarter sized amount of Pure clean or eco-gel and I diffuse. 
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,213Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Brittany, I thought your idea of not washing/scrunching upside down was brilliant!  I sent you a message but in case you didn't get it - it rang a bell for me.  My hair always seems to disorganized and out of place after doing everything upside down.  I must try right side up!  Thanks for your post.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Let us know if you like upright better! I personally can't do anything upside down due to tangles.
    BrittanyM said:
    Let us know if you like upright better! I personally can't do anything upside down due to tangles.
    I struggle with these two tangles in the nape of my neck ( lol I know that sounds odd that they are just those two specifically) that take me forever to detangle every wash day. I thought they might go away by getting a silk pillowcase as I figured it wouldn't get caught but I can't seem to get rid of it! I detangle it, it's gone on day one and yet miraculously they reappear come just a few days later when I wash my hair :/
    Could this be due to my upside-down wash routine? I have always wondered this and seeing your post made me reconsider. 
    2a/2b wavy hair 

• rabarrabar Posts: 59Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I struggle with these two tangles in the nape of my neck ( lol I know that sounds odd that they are just those two specifically) that take me forever to detangle every wash day. I thought they might go away by getting a silk pillowcase as I figured it wouldn't get caught but I can't seem to get rid of it! I detangle it, it's gone on day one and yet miraculously they reappear come just a few days later when I wash my hair :/
    Could this be due to my upside-down wash routine? I have always wondered this and seeing your post made me reconsider. 
    Hi!  My nape curls are curlier, shorter, and actually finer than the rest of my hair (3C vs. 3A).  I believe that's why mine get so tangled so easily.  I wear a satin bonnet at night, and they still get tangled.  I just try to be extra careful with these hairs (along with right above my ears and at my temples).
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
    @rabar Thanks for the response! Mine are about as wavy as the rest of my hair, but I think it may also be from putting my hair up into ponytails/buns for most of the times. That's really when I notice the matted-ness. I also think that maybe they get so tangled because product doesn't always reach back there/I don't always apply enough in the back. Unrelated question: do you find a satin bonnet to be better for preserving your curls overnight compared to just simply using a satin or silk pillowcase? Even though we have different hair types I am always looking for ways to preserve my hair overnight. 
    2a/2b wavy hair 

• rabarrabar Posts: 59Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    @rabar Thanks for the response! Mine are about as wavy as the rest of my hair, but I think it may also be from putting my hair up into ponytails/buns for most of the times. That's really when I notice the matted-ness. I also think that maybe they get so tangled because product doesn't always reach back there/I don't always apply enough in the back. Unrelated question: do you find a satin bonnet to be better for preserving your curls overnight compared to just simply using a satin or silk pillowcase? Even though we have different hair types I am always looking for ways to preserve my hair overnight. 
    I haven't tried a satin pillow case yet. Satin scarves don't stay on my hair, not even with Bobby pins. And sometimes the bonnet is on the floor when I wake up!
    Since I've been using the bonnet, I have way less frizz, almost no tangles, and I can actually get 2nd day hair without having to wet it or put in more products.  I got one for a dollar or two at Dollar General, and another for about $3 at Wal-mart.
    The bonnet keeps my hair in place (when it stays on), so my strands don't rub against each other.  I imagine they will still move around and rub against each other if I just used a pillow case.
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • wavydirtyblondewavydirtyblonde Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I think I finally figured out how to do the upside down/right side up thing. When I started, I got a birds nest just like the original pic. I was doing everything in one position upside down. What really seemed to work today was to actually wash right side up, then flip upside down, to the point where the hair is hanging off the top of the head, not just forward. Then I praying hands/raked in my conditioner, brushed out the tangles (yay fine hair!) and rinsed really upside down. I gathered my  hair up into super lose top knot while I dried off my body, then did side to side squish to condish with my leave in conditioner and curl enhancer. I microplopped to get some of the moisture out, then added mousse. I'm liking this wash day so far! I have had a good amount of frizz since I started, but my hair has always been frizzy. This at least allowed for really good clumps/definition so far. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file