Unsure whether I'm moisture/protein overloaded?

FluffAfroBabyFluffAfroBaby Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited February 18 in Information for Newbies
A few weeks ago, I was suffering from minor breakage that I wanted to stop so I felt that I needed a protein treatment. So, a few weeks ago, I used an old protein treatment my sister doesn't use (I don't remember the name but it had silk amino acids and I think keratin) and my hair felt very brittle, hard and dry after washing it out. Some strands have looser curls and long strands can be pulled out. I then used the eden bodyworks jojoba monoi deep conditioner, but my hair ended up having lots of breakage when washing/styling. I prepooed my hair with coconut oil and did an acv rinse as well to close my hair cuticles since i have high porosity hair. I figured I had protein overload so i clarified my hair with the shea moisture low porosity shampoo and deep conditioned. I also used the camille rose honey leave in, jbco, and shea butter.  I was also using the mane n tail olive oil shampoo (that i now see has keratin amino acids) and the beautiful textures shampoo during this time :'( 

Recently, I mixed the tgin honey mask with olive oil, some honey, and a bit of salt. It seemed to have helped with the breakage but there still is more than I originally had. I cut my ends twice. I used the rest of the mixture, but now I think I have moisture overload. I have some new products and I'm also trying to avoid coconut and avocado oil. I'm also curious about whether the aztec clay mask could help? Any suggestions for my next steps? I'm not sure whether I'm protein overloaded or moisture overloaded at this point. I can stretch my hair when wet, and the curl loses it's pattern. I actually have a few loose strands (I have 4c hair). My hair feels really dry as well.

Yesterday, I washed my hair and I sectioned my hair into 4 parts. I used the mane choice 3 in 1 conditioner in one section (had a lot of breakage), the camille rose coconut water leave in in another (not much breakage), and the camille rose honey leave in on the other 2 sections. I used argan/JBCO and the alikay naturals shea yogurt to seal. The only part that feels SLIGHTY moisturized is the camille rose honey parts. I'm just unsure at this point and don't know what to do. Help? :( :s

Best Answer

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,160 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    First, let's make sure you don't have build up. Grab a sulfate shampoo (yes sulfate) without any conditioning agents and use that. Cheap options include V05 Kiwi Clarifying, Suave Daily Clarifying, or my favorite (but slightly more expensive) Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo.
    Use this shampoo without any sort of pre-poo, let it sit on your hair for a minute or so. Rinse completely and use a protein free deep conditioner because your hair will feel dry (it's normal and it will bounce back with care, I promise). Style as usual and see how your hair feels. Clarifying should remove any build up that might be causing the breakage as well as excess protein.
    If you're still having issues, you might need to incorporate more moisture in your hair. Let us know how it goes.

Answers

• FluffAfroBabyFluffAfroBaby Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    First, let's make sure you don't have build up. Grab a sulfate shampoo (yes sulfate) without any conditioning agents and use that. Cheap options include V05 Kiwi Clarifying, Suave Daily Clarifying, or my favorite (but slightly more expensive) Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo.
    Use this shampoo without any sort of pre-poo, let it sit on your hair for a minute or so. Rinse completely and use a protein free deep conditioner because your hair will feel dry (it's normal and it will bounce back with care, I promise). Style as usual and see how your hair feels. Clarifying should remove any build up that might be causing the breakage as well as excess protein.
    If you're still having issues, you might need to incorporate more moisture in your hair. Let us know how it goes.
    Thank you oh so much!! A month ago, I was stressing about my hair and I went to target to buy the suave clarifying shampoo. They were out so I got the neutrogena anti residue shampoo instead. THIS SAVED MY HAIR. By the second wash day, my hair was no longer protein overloaded. I'm back to having little to no breakage! I'm iffy about using protein products still but I'll get the hang of it. I'm so happy that my hair is back to normal! :D
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,160Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Glad it was as simple as clarifying!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file