What are the products in your wash/clarify schedule?

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 511Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
I see a lot of curlies on this board who have wash schedules.

For example: co-wash on normal washes, sulfate free shampoo bi-weekly, and a sulfate shampoo once a month

I am curious at what everyone's wash schedules look like and what specific products you are using.  I would like to compare ingredients to one another.  
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,162Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Cowash: Cheap conditioner like SalonCare Almond and Honey Conditioner or Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut Conditioner
    Rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm and a Shea Moisture conditioner together

Weekly sulfate free shampoo: Whatever low poo I have around which is mostly Shea Moisture
    Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Masque whatever I'm feeling or a Made Beautiful masque... depends on what I'm going for in terms of properties I need.

Monthly sulfate: Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo (best clarifying shampoo, no other ingredients besides cleansers)
    Deep Condition: SM Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque or True by Made Beautiful Intense Moisture Masque (these two are the most moisturizing I have found).

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I clarify once a month with Suave Clarifying Shampoo. Other than that, the products listed in my signature are what I use for my regular wash days. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,900Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm currently using AG Balance shampoo (low poo) twice a week, and Aveda Mint and Rosemary (sulfate shampoo) once a week.  Then about every 3-4 weeks I need to get rid of hard water deposits.  Malibu C is one that I use for that.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 511Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    question: do you consider low-poo and sulfate free shampoos the same thing?  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,541Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Twice weekly low poo: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic, followed by matching conditioner
    Once every 1-2 weeks: Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment (winter only)
    Once every 1-2 weeks: some kind of protein-containing conditioner
    Every other week: sulfate cleanse with Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo

Yes, I consider low poo to mean sulfate free.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,163Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't co-wash, use a low poo nearly all the time (every two or three days). I had been doing a sulfate wash every couple of weeks but I finished the bottle a few weeks ago and haven't replaced it, hadn't thought about it. 
    3b in South Australia.
    I consider low poo to be sulfate free shampoo, like Deva Curls Low Poo. I did see a tresseme shampoo one time advertise itself as a low sulfate shampoo, but ingredients has sulfate as second and third so not sure what was going on there.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 511Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited February 15
    Follow up question for you @Therese1 & @BrittanyM - what do you consider Kinky Curly Come Clean?  

Purified water, organic mandarin orange fruit, organic marigold flower, organic white willow bark, organic sea kelp, c14-16 olefin, sulfonate and cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut derived), phytic acid, citric acid, sea salt, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance

I notice this on list as a "clarifying wash".  Something stronger than a low poo.  But ingredient wise, I feel many low poos have more cleansers in them.  It seems that sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate is a strong cleanser.... that puts a whole other level on low poos!   Ugh I need to stop trying to know everything to science. 

P.S. I found this awesome site that tells you the reason an ingredient is used in a product and even mentions harshness levels of cleansers.  https://www.paulaschoice.com/ingredient-dictionary 

I consider anything that doesn't contain a traditional sulfate to be low poo. I think there are clarifying low poo like come clean and Ouidad superfruit shampoo. Some low poo are harsher than others even among the same brands. I think the same is true for cowashes.
    I had thought that anything with C14-16 olefin sulfonate would be considered more of a sulfate poo than a low poo, but my HG low poo was recently reformulated to use C14-16 olefin sulfonate, and it doesn't seem to be any stronger. So I don't know what to think. It really depends on the formulation.

As a side note, I think that the sea kelp in the KCCC acts like a protein. My hair feels awful after I use it.

I think that most people who use KCCC consider it to be a pretty strong poo and not desirable for everyday use.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    @Therese1, it could also be the sea salt in the KCCC that's causing your hair to feel bad after using it.  Salt can be very drying.  Or most likely it's a combination of all of those.

I think it's important to remember that just because a shampoo is sulfate free doesn't automatically mean it's going to be gentle.  I think my Aveda shampoo with a sulfate is much gentler than the majority of the sulfate-free shampoos I've tried.
    Current products:
    @Guide65, I like your new avatar! Are you growing your hair out?

I'm pretty sure it's the sea kelp in the KCCC, because my hair is also straighter and doesn't "bounce back" after the next wash. Or maybe it's one of the botanical extracts. My hair usually doesn't get dried out from sea salt--I'm lucky that way. :)
    @Therese1, thanks!  I'll probably get it cut shorter at my next cut.  I feel like it gets a little stringy looking when it gets too long.   It looks good here, but when I move around it all separates and it doesn't look as good.
    Current products:
    @Therese1 thanks for sharing the observation on the sea kelp!  I tried KCCC about two weeks ago.  It made my hair feel squeaky clean (no slip at all) but I didn't feel my hair is as bouncy or shiny as it usually is after I clarify.  I noticed some excess frizz, but I was also trying ArcAngel which didn't control frizz like I am use to, so hard to say it was the cause.    I just discovered my hair loves the Aveda Rosemary Shampoo (thanks @Guide 65) so I am officially done experimenting with products until I need to switch to a summer routine.  But, I will keep my eye out for sea kelp when I do :) 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file