Straight roots, curly ends

oliviazambronoliviazambron Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 24 in Hair Type 2
lately I’ve been extremely frustrated with my hair. I used to straighten or use heat on my hair for about 4 years and I recently stopped about 10 months ago. But I didn’t start treating my hair like curly hair until about October. Anyways, I have been finding that my roots on the crown of my head to just above my ears will absolutely not curl no matter how much product or scrunching I do. Volume is very important to me because when this happens it’s flat and then poofy. When I let my hair air dry after a shower without putting products in and without scrunching, it’s like 1c (if that’s even a thing lol) on the top and then on the underside it’s the regular 2b. I just don’t know what to do because it’s becoming harder and harder to style and deal with each day. Also I used a deep conditioner which totally eliminated any wave or curl pattern that I have, which I don’t understand because I though deep conditioner is supposed to help. I don’t know what to do because there are no youtubers or anyone it seems like that has the hair I do

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have hair like that too.  To get more waves/curls at the top of your hair, you can do some root clipping.  I like the rainbow clipping technique (look it up on youtube).  But there's lots of different methods of clipping, so if one doesn't work for you, try another.  For me, the weight of my pulls all the curl out of the top of my hair, which creates a flatness on top.  The clipping helps support the weight of the length and encourages more waviness.

The deep conditioner probably threw off your moisture/protein balance, so try a protein treatment.  Some are Curl Junkie Repair Me, Deva Curl Deep Sea Treatment, or Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair.  Or you can do a DIY treatment with gelatin or rice water. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with Guide. Definitely try clipping as straight roots is not uncommon. Also be sure you are clarifying since build up can make hair harder and harder to style.
  • oliviazambronoliviazambron Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    I have hair like that too.  To get more waves/curls at the top of your hair, you can do some root clipping.  I like the rainbow clipping technique (look it up on youtube).  But there's lots of different methods of clipping, so if one doesn't work for you, try another.  For me, the weight of my pulls all the curl out of the top of my hair, which creates a flatness on top.  The clipping helps support the weight of the length and encourages more waviness.

The deep conditioner probably threw off your moisture/protein balance, so try a protein treatment.  Some are Curl Junkie Repair Me, Deva Curl Deep Sea Treatment, or Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair.  Or you can do a DIY treatment with gelatin or rice water. 
    Thank you very much! I did the rice water treatment and then put in my usual products and then diffused and my waves/curls a back to normal and looking really good for 1st day hair. I even got a little more wave at the roots. I’ll be sure to do this more often
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 37Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    Agree with Guide. Definitely try clipping as straight roots is not uncommon. Also be sure you are clarifying since build up can make hair harder and harder to style.
    @BrittanyM I agree!
    @oliviazambron Glad your waves are back! I have tried rice water as well, and it worked pretty well! I find that DIY salt water sprays really help to bring out my waves and give some more texture to my flat roots. I really only deep condition my hair when I clarify it (using sulfates)

2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

• KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I'm the same as you, deep conditioning with moisture or protein leaves my hair flat and horrible too, I think most wavies have this issue so just avoid it altogether. In terms of flat roots, I find NOT putting conditioner on your scalp helps - only apply it to below ears and downwards from there. Also, when styling, make sure you focus on scrunching the top of your hair as well as the bottom. Some days it works, some days it doesn't but that's what's helped me.
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 37Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @KerrBearrxo I am glad you said this because applying from the ear down is so important! If I want any chance at volume or roots that are a little less flat, the conditioner has to be below my ears. 
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file