Problems getting rebalanced after overmoisturized

mysterycurlsmysterycurls Curl NeophytePosts: 63Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi ladies, I'm more of a lurker here; than an active member, but I've followed for a long time. I have been followed CG for about 6 years. I am low porosity, medium-coarse texture, high density. Recently, I got overmoisturized - something I never thought was possible. I did an ACV rinse, and added some protein to my routine, and it improved. But I still find that I am getting over-moisturized really easily. My routine includes a low-poo/cowash, rinse out with Tresemme Botanique, leave-in with As I Am or giovanni Direct, and either Volumax or Biotera Gel. I'm trying to find some affordable, lighterweight rinseout and leave-in. I'm thinking maybe I should just omit the leave in altogether. Any advce is appricated. Also a good protein treatment - I tried the gellatin treatment and didn't really like the result.&lt;br&gt;<br><br>
2b/c, medium-coarse, high-density, medium-porosity, CG since 2011.
Co-wash: Suave/ VO5
RO: Yes to Cucumbers, GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals
LI: GVP CB, Yes to Cucumbers
Sealant: Argan, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernal (still working on it)
Styler: GF Pure Clean, HETT, Volumax
DT: Ion Effective Care, GVPCB, Yes to Cucumbers

Experimenting with Curly Kinks ReNew, Coil Jam and Satin Roots. Also FSG.

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You might want to think about using a conditioner that has protein in it.  I don't think any of your cowash/rinse out/leave ins have protein.  So something that has just a little bit that's used every wash day (or every other time) might help.

Giovanni Smooth As Silk is really lightweight (about the same as the DLI), and has some protein.  Deva One Delight has quite a bit of protein, and the original One has only hops extract so it's very light protein.  Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin conditioner is one I've never tried, but it has protein but not very moisturizing.  That might be an option too.

And if you want to do a deep treatment, Deva Deep Sea Repair is one I like.  I've heard great things about Curl Junkie Repair Me too.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • mysterycurlsmysterycurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 63 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you ladies. I think I have it solved, but I definitely need a lightweight protein conditioner. I appreciate the suggestions.

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would probably omit the leave-in and use the low poo rather than the co-wash.

Also be aware that sometimes protein can have a moisturizing effect on the hair, especially the smaller proteins, like silk. If you are unable to fix the overmoisturization by changing up your products, I would start looking at the types of proteins in your products and seeing if that is causing overmoisturization.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree. You can also experiment dropping the leave in. Many with healthy moisturized hair don't use it as much as others with damaged hair do.
  • mysterycurlsmysterycurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited January 18

• mysterycurlsmysterycurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Neophyte
     I wanted to pop back in and tell you what has really worked. First, yes, I have added protein on alternate days. Experimenting with using it daily in just one rinse out product - shampoo mostly because I don't put conditioner on my roots and I like the bit of volume protein seems to give me there. Second I have nixed the leave in. It seems that no matter how light a leave in I use it ends up weighing me down or just doing nothing. The main culprit however, I found to be polyquats in my stylers. Since clarifying and dropping the Volumax and Biotera Gels (polyquat-4 high on the list) my hair has improved so much. I have also found some negative results from polyquat 10 and polyquat-69, though less of a buildup problem from these and more of just gross frizzy hair. So I've eliminated all polyquats from my routine and focusing on really naturally based products. And I'm getting good consistent results again. Thanks for all your suggestions. Edited to Add: I don't think I was ever really over moisturized - I think I just interpreted the buildup from polyquat-4 as overmoisturized - since my hair seemed so limp and lifeless.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Good to hear you've found something that works!  What are you using for your protein shampoo?  I still haven't found a favorite shampoo or cleanser yet.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    Good to hear you've found something that works!  What are you using for your protein shampoo?  I still haven't found a favorite shampoo or cleanser yet.
    I'm still experimenting. The ones I've tried seem to be too heavy for me. I tried one from shea moisture (should have known better - too heavy). The one I'm using now is Aubrey Organics honeysuckle Rose Shampoo - have mixed feelings about this - it seems to leave a residue. We'll see. I think I'll probably try adding Neutral Protein Filler to my shampoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file