Any 2019 New Years Resolutions or Goals?

BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I personally rarely set any resolutions and did not this year. However, I do have two goals in mind. I would like to buy a house by mid February (is this possible since I don't even have a realtor yet?), and I would like to move to a new position or get a new job this year as well (I like my current job but have been feeling that it's time to move on... hopefully to bigger and better things). Hopefully both of these will happen, but the job is the one I'm most shaky about. My industry is small and not many jobs pop up plus the high rate of competition and ensuring that benefits and pay is compatible with what my time is worth.
Anyway, do you have any goals or resolutions this year?

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Not to make the same mistakes I made in 2018 & to find ways to make more money this year.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    I thought of another one.  I am a dog sitter.  So many of my friends have told me I should write a book about it.  My stories are funny.  One suggested the title should be "Lady Kay & Her Dogs".  I need to write down at least one story a day.  I want this illustrated with caricatures of me & the dogs.  I also want this to be a book for children & adults. 
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I want to make a better effort to be more sustainable with what I eat. So local (within WA or the Pacific NW) and seasonal foods. 

I also want to buy a new car.  I sold mine a couple years ago because I lived  & Worked downtown and was never using it.  Even thought it was paid off, the costs of parking/registrations/gas/maintenance/ect  was costing me more than taxis/public transportation.   I've since moved outside of downtown and work for a company & client based outside of the city.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Lotsawaves, do it! It would be a cute book! If I can offer some insight into a potential readers mind, make it shorter than longer. The reason I say this is if a humorous story telling book is longer than 150 pages, I am less likely to read it. I like to read these types of books in two sittings.
    @tinksaysboo, agree. I’m tying to be more conscious of my trash. I’m trying not to throw things away and donate them. But the thing that is discouraging is it’s often much cheaper to be non sustainable than sustainable. But every little bit counts as well. I would love to not own a car but public transportation is nonexistent or impractical here, and taxis are flat out sketchy. I went to Japan out of college and fell in love with well run public transportation.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM  - composting is a law in Seattle.  They actually do random garbage checks to make sure no compost items are in the garbage. When that law took place it really helped kick my butt into gear.  I live in apartment buildings, so I don't get fined personally like some in a house, but just the awareness everywhere about composting and options available made it easier to start forming the habit. 

Being sustainable is far more expensive!  A couple years ago I started to become involved with the Cascadia Now movement which works to make the Pacific NW (Washington, Oregon, & British Columbia) a sustainable region so I've been attempting to make more efforts. It's really sad that many people simply can't afford to support local businesses and farmers.   A $50 grocery trip at Safeway would be a almost $100 trip at a co-op.  

Wanting to be better at donating things I don't want and even buying things 2nd hand is actually another reason on my long list of why I should get a car.  Sometimes I am honestly just lazy and spending an hour on train or bus doesn't sound appealing haha
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

BrittanyM, thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not planning on a long read book & the stories will be short, but hopefully, humorous.  I want it to be for kids to enjoy also.  I think the right illustrations will make the stories more fun.  
    From Michael Berg:

@lotsawaves if you make your book historical fiction I can feature it in my book club

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2

• Flip another house. (I haven't flipped on in 10 yrs! Doing it solo again.)
    • Continue running and take off the last 10 lbs.
    • Publicly show my artwork for the first time since I've been an adult.
    • Make curtains for my kitchen (Easy. Should be done by Feb.)

I just thought of another one.  Put more effort in my grooming (since I want to start dating again).  I usually wait until my eyebrows get bad to wax. I hate doing my nails and really bad at it so I often rock old shitty DIY pedicure/manicures.  I am quite content with my face so I usually just slap on mascara, sometimes eyeliner, blush (which usually disappears quickly), and lipstick and call it a day.

I waxed this morning (started home waxing to save money.  the learning curve isn't too steep!) and going to go get my nails done tomorrow.   

spiderlashes5000 said:
    Good luck!  that sounds exciting :) hope you share here.  Based on your Christmas decoration for work, you are clearly creative & talented! 

spiderlashes5000 said:
    Good luck!  that sounds exciting :) hope you share here.  Based on your Christmas decoration for work, you are clearly creative & talented! 
    You're funny! But thank you. 
    This is going to be a HUGE undertaking bc I have all but given up on water color and am planning to go back to acrylics which I haven't used since childhood. In early adulthood I used (professional quality) markers and pencils but they just don't pack the same punch as water color or acrylic IMO. All I have is an empty art supply case and one canvas. I will be literally starting from scratch!

I wax at home too, it's not hard if you know which wax is best for which region. I use hard wax for my underarms, and when I did my eyebrows, I used the honey soft wax (I stopped waxing the eyebrows due to retinoid use, and now use a razor). Do you do your legs, @tinksaysboo? Every time I waxed my legs, I end up with bruises. I'm sure it's my technique, but I've tried every method. Maybe it's just me, but I just shave my legs now.
    And @spiderlashes, I mention buying a house and you are wanting to buy, renovate, and resell. You seem so creative! I couldn't do even one of your goals for this year: renovate a house using creativity and skill, definite no. Running, oh heck no. Show artwork, do stick figures count as art? And sew curtains, I can't sew at all. I'm jealous.
    @BrittanyM  - I haven't ventured to home waxing outside of my face.   I was thinking about it while I was waxing yesterday, though.  I've never had my legs or underarms waxed.  I have had a couple of  Brazilians and HATE them.  It makes me scared to wax my body haha  I am going to do some research though.   Good to know about the hard wax! 

edited January 3
    BrittanyM said:
    I wax at home too, it's not hard if you know which wax is best for which region. I use hard wax for my underarms, and when I did my eyebrows, I used the honey soft wax (I stopped waxing the eyebrows due to retinoid use, and now use a razor). Do you do your legs, @tinksaysboo? Every time I waxed my legs, I end up with bruises. I'm sure it's my technique, but I've tried every method. Maybe it's just me, but I just shave my legs now.
    And @spiderlashes, I mention buying a house and you are wanting to buy, renovate, and resell. You seem so creative! I couldn't do even one of your goals for this year: renovate a house using creativity and skill, definite no. Running, oh heck no. Show artwork, do stick figures count as art? And sew curtains, I can't sew at all. I'm jealous.
    It won't be a mansion or anything! Pretty modest project. But thanks. I just LOVE walking thru houses! Picturing all the possibilities. 
    For both body waxers: have you considered a home laser? I have one. It's painful, too. But at least it's permanent.

That needs to be another of my goals: finally just laser off all unwanted hair in 2019.

@spiderlashes5000  - I've never heard of a home laser!  I thought about getting my under arms professional lasered, but at the time I couldn't justify the cost.   two questions for you:
    1. Have you had professional laser?  How does it compare to home laser?
    2. How does the pain of the home laser compare to waxing?

@spiderlashes5000  - I've never heard of a home laser!  I thought about getting my under arms professional lasered, but at the time I couldn't justify the cost.   two questions for you:
    1. Have you had professional laser?  How does it compare to home laser?
    2. How does the pain of the home laser compare to waxing?
    Here's the link to the one I have. But I bought mine at least 6 yrs ago. So some things have changed.
    Yes, I had professional laser and professional electrolysis. My home laser is better bc I'm not confined to weekly 15 min appointments when I do it at home.. I can do it whenever I have time and I can choose the intensity. I can see what i'm doing and choose what areas of my body to work on as I see fit. I just prefer to be in control of the process so I can get the results I want quickly and affordably.

It's a different kind of pain. With laser, each individual hair hurts! But you can control how much each one hurts. When you wax, it's just one large area that hurts but you can't control the intensity of the pain.

I care less about the pain and just focus on the desired result (permanence!) My only issue is making the time to do it  :/

You can read hundreds of reviews of the product here on Amazon.

Huh, I always thought they didn't work. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Thanks!  I will add this to my 2019 bucket list

I bought a package for 5 sessions for the Brazilian laser.  I'm going in for my 4th session on Jan 10th.  I don't think it hurts & I'm getting great results.  I once had the waxing done & it hurt like crazy.  I will never do that again.  My daughter is having most of her body done.  I am so hairless.  I use to shave my legs daily.  Now once or twice a month. I guess that is one plus for getting older. 
    From Michael Berg:

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Getting a new job (the one I failed to do last year) and save more money.
    So many people hate their jobs.  People spend most of their time at their jobs.  It is really sad.  Yesterday I asked my daughter how work was going & she said she hated it.  I asked her why & she said the work wasn't that bad but her supervisor can be a ****.  I think most of the jobs I've had there has been someone who made my working day miserable.  When I got my 1st job, in a hospital, my mom told me that there will always be at least one person in the workplace who would be a pain in the butt.  She was right.  
    From Michael Berg:

Issues with supervisors are actually the number one reason people leave their jobs in the US.

It isn't always supervisors.  It can also be co workers.  At my last job it was the dentist's wife who was making my life miserable.  I like being a dog sitter.  Sure there are some difficult dogs, barkers, markers, not getting a long with other dogs, but so much better then dealing with office drama.  I do miss the consistent paycheck, but nothing else.
    From Michael Berg:

Yeah, a bad supervisor can really ruin the day. I can tolerate coworkers, but if I see a boss as abusive or incompetent, it's a bad situation. I don't have a bad boss nor do I hate my job. Recently, we have a new guy who makes more money than me yet I do his job for him. Another guy who is getting opportunities I feel that I should be getting. And recently another coworker who is on a man period or something and is being a jerk and giving me the silent treatment (and impacting my work with his attitude btw). I've just gotten a bit fed up with things and just want to move on. I don't wish them ill, but it's time to leave.
    I really wish the US didn't have this workaholic mind set. I would prefer to work 30 hours like in Sweden or at least four 10 hour days. I hate that I have 40 more years of 5 day/ 40 hour work weeks. When I get home, I am so tired that I watch Youtube while drinking a glass a wine and go straight to bed. I only get things done on the weekend because of work, and those things are mostly chores and very little entertainment. Sometimes I feel like my health is being negatively impacted by the stress and always working.
    And I am sorry about your daughter, Lotsa. I hate it when people hate their jobs. Of course there is always those privileged people who say, "just get another job." It's not always that easy.
    @Lotsawaves I know it's not the only reason, but it is the number one reasons based on studies

edited January 4
    I really wish the US didn't have this workaholic mind set. I would prefer to work 30 hours like in Sweden or at least four 10 hour days. I hate that I have 40 more years of 5 day/ 40 hour work weeks. When I get home, I am so tired that I watch Youtube while drinking a glass a wine and go straight to bed. I only get things done on the weekend because of work, and those things are mostly chores and very little entertainment. Sometimes I feel like my health is being negatively impacted by the stress and always working.
    100% with you.  I took a 7 month break from working last year after working at a very demanding company to figure out what the heck I wanted out of my career because I was not happy with the rat race at all.  I finally admitted to myself that I am not really interested in moving up the career ladder or going into management. It was hard to admit because the workaholic culture  makes one feel like they are not ambitious, or lazy, or some type of failure if you are not always reaching for that next promotion.  I just want to do work that I like, that I feel is useful, and that makes me feel appreciated (what makes one person feel appreciated might not make a another). And if that is not at the top of the ladder, so what?   Whats wrong with being stagnant in your career if you continue to get satisfaction out of it?  Plus, I want to work to live, not live to work. 

My resolution last year was to find a job that could continue to support a life in Seattle but meeting the above requirements.   I am now doing consulting work where I am contracted for only 40 hours a week.  My current client is a HUGE **** (like he is notorious ****) so I refuse to do overtime for him.  Aside from keeping this **** as a client, I think I had a successful 2018 resolution. 

• RoanlivingRoanliving Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I'd like to write a YA book for fun. I also want to get back in to running. And, continue growing my hair out (no impulsive chops hopefully). 
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I want to read more again. A couple of years ago I read a book a month easily, then last year I think I only read two all year, very bad.
    Get my gardens sorted out, they really need some work.
    Sort finances as we head towards retirement and find a new job - these two are recurring so I doubt I'll get there but I'll try my best.
    3b in South Australia.
    BrittanyM said:
    And recently another coworker who is on a man period or something and is being a jerk and giving me the silent treatment 
    OMG man period! lmao
    I took a 7 month break from working last year after working at a very demanding company to figure out what the heck I wanted out of my career because I was not happy with the rat race at all.  
    How were you able to support yourself while out of work? Did being w/o a steady paycheck (if you were) cause a lot of stress?

I took a 7 month break from working last year after working at a very demanding company to figure out what the heck I wanted out of my career because I was not happy with the rat race at all.  
    How were you able to support yourself while out of work? Did being w/o a steady paycheck (if you were) cause a lot of stress?
    First a correction, I took a break in 2017.  Went back to work January 2018.  Some 1 year anniversary with my company at the end of the month! woo! 

I let go of my apartment and lived with my dad for a while than my sister.  Than it was savings, credit cards, and sold stocks I earned from my last company.   The break was not a financially smart thing in the slightest, but I needed it mentally. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file