Cracking that ever challenging code..."Who are you and where's my curly hair back please?"

Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
edited December 2018 in Introductions

Hello ladies! Yes, its me again. I joined and frantically hit the S.O.S curl talk switch board in a super soaking squish to condish style like none other. I know I could be detouring off the path of simplicity (which was recommend by all and even with step by step instructions thank you all as well). But I have two theories as to why I'm here again:

A. I'm a fickle spazoid. Meaning at times it is hard for me to stick to one routine if I'm not getting instant results. Then the bad habit evolves into distracting myself by products and there I go, down the rabbit hole of money, time, pain, disgruntled cashiers,  and the register filled with returns. Hand to forehead "smack!"

B. My hair is going through some wild things and there really is just a ton to absorb and retain, both literally and figuratively. Some of the problems I am experiencing I'm sure can be answered (or are relatable) by this fine community of curly headed trail blazin beauties.

Either way I just want to find my Holy Grail Products, or better yet...a full diagnostics with a tune up.

WASHING

1. When I wash hair with clarifying shampoo or even co-wash (the As I Am One for sure) its like it all wont rinse out! Despite using a small amount and spending a ton off time under the faucet trying to get it out, it's as though it gets trapped in my hair! Anyone exp this?

USING: I want to try the curly girl recommended Giovanna calming  condish (thats for the cowash). Then I do like the Deva curl build up buster but the ones I've tried that I didn't like (or didn't agree with me) were: Acure: Curiously Clarifying shampoo, deva curl no poo, and as I am cowash (or no poo). Any recommendations:

2.CONDTIONING

I've been trying curly not kinky detangler and its okay. It seems to be highly recommended  because it is so light weight, which I think is the problem with me and the CG method. Light weight products make me feel that they aint gonna do the trick so I'm possessed to apply more and more! The Shea Honey and manuka conditioner as a detangler has been dreamy. It smooths everything right down! Magic. Rinse that and then start to squish with deva curl one conditioner, which seems to have/give hair more texture. 

USING: Shea Moisture Honey conditioner, Briegio (sp) deep repair mask. I've been also using the Deva curl one and cant tell how I feel about it. Then I have these two products that I want to use but will wait for advice: Renpure Biotin and collagen conditioner  or Renpure tea tree (as a co wash). 

3.SQUISH AND CONDISH AND STYLING PRODUCTS: 

Still in the shower, I squish and condish Camille's  Curl Love Moisture Milk, then I use LA Looks for the difficult lower hair, and use Deva Curl gel for the rest. This where I can start to sense a problem and can become frustrated by the lack of absorption by the half. Because I know its not going to work out and all these steps will need to be redone. The problem is they can wave and take shape but they all want to be all wadded together and not find individual clumps. Its  time consuming and patience sucking. I do get frustrated and begin to over style as well, or go back out hitting the mean streets for different products. The best way to describe it is:  the bottom canopy does not want to be one with the top! It doesn't wasn't to incorporate into one living organism. It's like a rebellious teen refusing family time. Ha! 

USING: Camilles curl love, LA Looks and Deva curl. Gotta say I like all these products likely just a technique thing? 

it seems to work okay, and  I am  trying to stay on track with CG recommendations, lighter, simpler,  squishing gel into it, but its like it needs more texture and hold so then I tend to over do it and  gunk it up. This was my old habit, just applying so much product of any kind, that my hair had no choice but to comply! It was only here and there, would only last a day (because it was so gunky) and likely didn't add to hair health. I want to embrace my full time natural curls, rather than exploiting them for a night out or a rock concert, drowning it with aqua net and a good time. Thats not cool! I have to love them all year round!

5. STYLING

Plopping is a no go for me, and even diffusing can cause frizz. With plopping (and really all styling setting techniques) my roots are liable to have that weird glue like texture.  The problem areas are the back of head and then right where the two types merge, the top canopy meets the bottom (like the cow lick area).They either want to stay plastered down and not corporate or do begin to cooperate but start wanting to sabotage out end game curl goals! My own dang hair...working against me, wanting to take the whole ship down with them: meaning if I start to get some curl patterns going they will act out and frizz up and not want to individually find a lil ringlet or wave.

Air dry takes a long time and again find that parts of my hair do need more product but at this point what?

Rainbow clipping kind of works but again feel like more texture is needed.

GOING TO TRY:

skip curl method: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/the-skip-curl-method

it says to purchase Curl Keeper and Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic Curl Stimulator. But Im wondering if  I have enough products anyways. Ha.

6. CONSLUSIONS: 

In my own research last night, I did purchase aphogee balancing moisturizer and a denman brush.

I also used Curls blue oil and the Brioge deep conditioner and let it sit in hair. Rinse out warm and i]sed the Renpure Tea tree conditioner as a co-wash, then used the aphogee balancing moisturizer. My hair was very manageable I began squish to condish with the same products and realized it wasn't goin to work, the frizz was beginning and so was the lack of clumping. Last night I also purchased Design Essentials Natural :Cocout an Monoi coconut curl water and spray it throughout and then finger coiled it with biotera gel alcohol free gel.  I scrunched then put in a satin cap and slept I woke up and sprayed with water and split end treatment, re coiled, and then sprayed with L'Oreal Paris Boost It High Lift Creation Spray - 5.3 oz bottle.

It was sort of a reaction of trying to be all curly gurl but realizing my hair needs more. So it turned out great!!! The hair spray is way not curly girl but I did need more hold. 

I don't know what the diagnostics of my hair are, but we kept thinking lighter product use but it wasn't responding, apparently it needs just the right amount of products for hold?

What do you all think? Is my hair actual a 3a wave? High poo on top? and a 2a low porosity wave bottom? 

Let me know what you all think, and and thanks for being there through the ramblings and snappings, like a strand in need of more moisture, you all have been there. 

P.S. I had this is the original draft before my hair achieved its look today. Although I am fan of it right now, I may as well list this last part in case my hair acts out again or if  someone can crack the code:

Main concerns:

shampoo not rinsing out?

flat matted down roots?

the back of head hair bent on being matted down, or frizzy, or just going limp oh or non cooperative Ha!

Do you stick with a routine of products even if the results aren't showing and if not when do you try something else?

What /how is the best way to find products for items these issues, resistant, easily tangled velcro type segments of hair?

Other techniques in setting curls that last for a day or more?

How to get that texture and hold  with out frizz and grease?

Do you recognize what the issues are like low protein and then find products this way: share diagnostics if you'd like!?

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/product-list-by-category.html

. Thanks guys you rock, now lets help each other roll...into awesome curl patterns!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,955Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It would help if you could post a picture of your hair.  If we could see what you're working with we might be able to help a lot more.  Especially the bottom that doesn't want to become one with the top.  I'm still not understanding what that means.

And also list your products.  I know you probably have a lot, so just list them all.  Clarifying shampoo, low poo, cowash, detanglers, conditioners, all your styling products.

It took me probably 6 months before I started getting results I was happy with, and a lot longer before I could get consistently good results.  So keep on trying!  You'll figure it out soon!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Not that you need to run and do this, when was the last time you used a sulfate clarifying shampoo? If you do use one, list what it is.
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited December 2018
    Hey ladies.  I did not proof read that and now cant edit it. I will re-post once I give that segment a clarifying read through. Ha! Thank you and Ill have the new one posted later today. Happy weekend and curl on! 
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Hey @BrittanyM and @Guide 65 here's the latest version, still a doosie! But alas I have faith we can all get through this. You two have been very helpful, straight forward and kind! This lil chat support group is so funny to me! I tell my family and stuff: "Its like a 12step program. We are all there to call each other out but also show the way!" JK but we are lucky for this medium and thank you for showing me the way!

Ok, let's start with the shampoos/cowashes.  I don't see any sulfate-containing clarifying shampoos.  Deva Build Up Buster is supposed to be clarifying, but a lot of people don't find it to be effective.  The Acure one says it's clarifying, but there's no sulfates in it.  A lot of people report that it's really drying, and since there's no sulfates, it's also not effective.  The Deva No Poo and AIA cowash are nice and gentle every day cleansers, but can lead to build up.

So get yourself a regular shampoo.  You need something with a sulfate in it, but no silicone.  I like to use Aveda Rosemary and Mint, but there are all kinds of cheaper drugstore shampoos that can be used.  I don't mind the cost of the Aveda - my last bottle has lasted me about 2 years, and that's just a tiny little bottle!  If you'd rather go cheap, Suave has a clarifying shampoo.  It'll be harsh, but you only use it once in a while.

Don't use any pre-poo treatments before clarifying!  You want all that junk out.  You might even need to shampoo a couple times, depending on how much build up you have.  I suspect that when your hair is truly clean, the shampoo will rinse much easier. 
    Current products:
    Next step:  Conditioning.  Now that you've clarified your hair, it'll feel dry and maybe tangled.  Shea Moisture conditioners have lots of shea butter.  Some people love it, but a lot of people will develop build up from it, and it can be very difficult to remove.  Stay away from this for now.  Briogeo Repair Me is nice - I like that one a lot.  It has some protein, but it's pretty light, and still nicely moisturizing.  This is a deep conditioner, something you'll use only once a week, not everyday. 

After clarifying, use the Briogeo.  Apply it all through your hair, then put on a shower cap or a plastic bag over your head, then wrap up your head with a warm towel.  Leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.  This is only done once a week!

For non-clarifying days, use the Deva One conditioner.  No other conditioner, just this one!  I apply it heavily to my ends, then work it up higher towards my roots, similar to the way you detangle hair - started at the ends, and slowly working your way up.  I try to get as little conditioner as possible on my roots.  But feel free to use as much as need on the ends. 

Take your time with this step.  This is what takes me the longest in the shower.  I take a palmful of conditioner, smoosh it between my hands, then start applying it to the ends of my hair.  I detangle as I go, using my fingers.  I add more conditioner as needed.  Once I get it all through the hair, I add a handful of water here and there.  Look at your hair while you're doing this - mine goes from looking like straw to looking clumped and shiny and curly.  The water is magic!  It completely transforms my hair.

Now let your hair sit while you finish your other showering stuff.  When you're ready to rinse your hair, flip it all upside down.  I use my fingers to rake it all forward.  By now I've lost the water and my hair looks like straw again.  Splash some more water in, and take a good look - back to shiny clumpy curls!  To rinse, I very briefly dunk my head under the shower, just enough to feel the water.  Then I start squishing.  As I squish, I slowly rotate my head to the right, letting the hair fall down to the side, continuing the squishing.  Then I rotate my head to the left and keep squishing.  As I squish, the hair is breaking into nice clumps all over.  I do a second rinse - another very brief dunk under the water, then squishing, rotating a little more, keep squishing.  Take a good look at your hair - is it clumped?  Then you're doing good.  Do you have a lot of individual strands not sticking together?  Then you need more water. 

Squishing breaks up the hair into clumps, and rotating allows me to get to the back of my head, breaking that into clumps too.  By the time I'm done with all the styling, I can rotate my head from fully upside down, to one side, then all the way standing up and leaning back, then over to the other side and end up upside down again - and all the hair is clumped but not smashed and stuck together.  All the clumps move freely.

I don't rinse any more.  My hair feels slimy with conditioner, but that's ok.  That's my "leave in" - with no other product necessary.  I use a good thick moisturizing conditioner, but this method will leave me with clean-feeling hair when it's all dry.

Last piece of advise on conditioning - take your time!  This is where the magic happens!  If it looks bad when you're done, you're going to have bad hair all day. 

Current products:
    Next up:  Applying your styling products.  You're still in the shower, your hair is fully wet with conditioner and water, everything is clumped but not matted together.  Now it's time for styling products.  You'll do this right in the shower, with the water still running, no towel has touched your hair yet.

You can choose one curl enhancer and one gel for this step.  All you've listed are gels, so use one of those.  Is the Deva the Ultra Defining Gel?  If it is, then use that.  If it's not, then use the LA Looks.  I don't see any curl enhancers listed.  Do you have anything like Curl Keeper, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Deva Wavemaker, AG Recoil?  Anything like that?  If not, that's ok - just use gel alone.  The curl enhancer is optional.

If you have a CE, then use that next.  You'll use a very small amount.  You're upside down, all clumped and wet.  Apply a very small amount to your palm and smoosh your hands together.  Then very gently start applying your product to the ends.  I just stroke down my hair like I'm petting a cat.  Do the outside, do the inside.  With whatever is left on my hands, I then start at the nape of my neck and stroke all the way down to the ends.  Then I start at my forehead and stroke down again.  Then squish it all in.  I repeat the rotating of my head while squishing so I can get all the way around.  I don't do this very long - this is kind of quick and rough, since I'm following it up with gel.

A hard hold gel is next.  With this I use a LOT - a good palmful to start with.  Repeat the steps above, and this time I squish quite a bit more.  I make sure to rotate all the way around, and once I'm standing up straight, I add a little more gel while I'm upright, then finish squishing and rotating until I'm upside down again.

Don't forget to wash your back and neck when you're done!  Bacne is not pretty.
    Current products:
    Final step is styling.  No more products are used for this.  So far you've cowashed/loo poo'd/clarified, deep conditioned (once a week), or conditioned (don't need both - one or the other is fine), used curl enhancer (optionally) and hard hold gel, and finished with rinsing your back. 

You can turn off the shower now, and grab a hair towel or tee shirt.  Use the towel to squish the water out of your hair.  I do a hard grab and hold for about 5 seconds, then release and move to the next section.  Yes - you will lose product when you towel squish.  That's ok.  It's getting rid of the excess that's not needed.

You don't like plopping, and that's fine.  I don't either.  My hair is still pretty wet, so I use my hair towel like a shawl to catch the drips while I'm lotioning, etc.  I have no part at this point - my hair goes all over.  My hair might be stuck to my scalp, and I get twists of hair that twist all the way up to my scalp, which causes weirdness when dry (scalp showing through).  I use the end of a rattail comb, but you can use a chopstick, or a knitting needle, or whatever -  a long stick of some kind.  I use the stick to lift the hair off my scalp all around.  Sometimes I even use my fingernails to gentle comb the very top to unstick the hair and get rid of the twists near the scalp.  If I let it dry even a little bit, it'll be stuck like that all day.

I can't remember if you diffuse - you don't need to, but I get a much better result when I do.  But I'm lazy and hate using a hair dryer, so this is what I do.

I hang my head upside down, gather the hair up in the diffuser and raise it until it's resting on my scalp.  I then turn the dryer on low with low heat, and hold it there for a count of 60.  If it's too hot, I use the cold shot button for a few seconds, or turn the heat off.  After 60 seconds, turn the dryer off and release my hair.  I do this is in 4 sections, once at the top of my head, then I rotate my head and all my hair to the right and do the side, then rotate to the left and do that side, then stand up straight and do the back.

After that I fix the part as best as I can.  I just move clumps of hair this way or that until it looks ok.  Then I do the rainbow clipping, and I do it all over from the top of my head down to my ears.  I find it's easier when the hair is not soaking wet.  Then I just ignore my hair for a while, letting it air dry.  When it's time to get ready for work (it's been 1/2 hour or 45 minutes), I unclip and repeat the diffusing, same as before.  Then I air dry while doing my makeup, getting dressed, etc.  If it's still damp, repeat the diffusing.  By this time my hair is fully dry, so I scrunch out the crunch.

I do use a little hair spray sometimes.  It's not CG, but I use one with no silicone so I won't get build up from it. 

Current products:
    Hot dang! Thanks! I needed that! Now I WILL follow this by design! Then once I'm all like: "oooo lala!" The next post will be.....
    "What did you do with all the dang products you bought?" Ha!
    Curl enhancers....I have camille's moisture milk? is that good? 

THHHAANNKK YOOUU. I'll report back soon.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would if I could add, if you have tangle prone hair, don’t style upside down. If you don’t like the way your hair looks styling upside down, style completely upright. My hair looks horrendous if it turns upside down at any time not to mention the matts. Otherwise, Guide gave very good in depth advice.
    Yes, I agree with @BrittanyM, all of that can be done right side up.  I find upside down is better for getting the roots off my scalp, but I don't deal with much tangling.  Try it both ways and see which is better for you.
    Current products:
    I do tangle easily. I kind of gave up the last week so I was able to really follow your steps. But I'm back and will not be defeated! Thanks @Guide 65 for taking the time to do that. @BrittanyM Ill try styling upright because my hair does tangle and does look horrendous upside as well. Okay! Hopping  in the shower and waiting for a Christmas miracle! So I used this mousse the other day for part of my hair (the lower layer seems to be 2A and doesnt take curl like the 2B top layer) and it ruined me!!! Anywho, I've come to the conclusion that once I save up I'll need a curl friendly as I feel that could create new possibilities in my curl endeavours. Merry Xmas and may all be blessed with full and bountiful curls
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow!  @Guide 65  and @BrittanyM ; too!  How wonderful you are to take such time to write out some fabulous guidance to our new friend @Calamity Abby !

Thanks for showing how much CurlTalk cares! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    For real!! It seriously is like a freaking support group! I tell everyone about this, and reading about the transition process for everyone helps, because at times you truly want to give up!
     I kind of need hand holding (no shame in my game) so yes, I have appreciated their guidance! Also a few others but those two, and @tinksaysboo
    So I think my problem currently is:
    A. Need a hair cut to divest myself of some dead end hair (sorry hair :)
    B. I had major buildup!!! As pointed out by my curl mentors.
    C. Can it be that I have an adversion to sea salt? @BrittanyM mentioned that she doesnt use it but I did accidentally buy this mousse that had sea salt and I think it wrecked it? Possible? Oh and can one have a bad time with coconut water...oil....hair styling?

Thanks again and glad you noticed them too! And thanks for this website, Pretty soon I'll be locky too!
    Curly Christmas to all! Annnnddd I think I may be protein and coconut sensitive. Have a good one!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, @Guide 65! What a detailed explanation. I see some things that I would like to try in my own routine. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Curly Christmas to all! Annnnddd I think I may be protein and coconut sensitive. Have a good one!
    My hair does not like coconut.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file