1st day hair worse than 2nd and 3rd?

Ecampbell64Ecampbell64 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
It seems like lots of wavies have more trouble with 2nd or 3rd day hair but mine looks much better after day 1, and I can generally go 3 days between shampoos. Day 1 my hair does not clump so well - it can be stringy even with good clumping during the wash process. If I SOTC a lot, I lose definition or get frizz. If I SOTC less, then I’m crunchy. Everything seems to resolve on day 2 and day 3 looks good as well though with slightly less curl. All I do to refresh is scrunch with damp hands. 
I’m a 2b with fine, low porosity, medium density, just-past-shoulder-length hair. I’ve been lurking for a while and this site has helped me immensely. My curls have gotten better and better as I follow CG methods.
My wash day routine: lo-poo, deep condition, lots of hard hold gel in the shower, gently blot with t-shirt, plop with other side of tee, clip up curls for a while and diffuse in the clips, let down and rest curls, when fully dry SOTC with damp hands. Pineapple for sleeping. 
I think my curls did better air drying, but due to a recent move to the  hiladelphia area, air drying isn’t something I can do with regularity. I use no sulfites except to clarify and I stay away from silicones. My hair doesn’t like protein. I have to balance the need for moisture with heavy ingredients that can weigh down hair. I am using drugstore products recommended on this site. I am experimenting with products and techniques for my new climate, but this day 1 issue seems to occur no matter what the routine or climate. I don’t yet know how to post a pic of I would do that. Sorry!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,950Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    How are you diffusing?  If you're doing a version of pixie diffusing, then try just holding the diffuser close to your head, but not touching your hair.  In fact, don't touch your hair at all, with either the diffuser or your hands.  And if you have a hood dryer, that's even better.  I'm not sure that'll help, but you'll get more of an air-dried look with the no-touching diffusing.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 542Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I find I get better curls if I let my hair sit in it's gel cast for a while.  I typically wash at night & diffuse to dry, then put it up in a hair buff.  In the morning I shake out and SCOTC.  I will note, I frequently have issues with straightened hair at the nape with this method, but it's typically an easy fix. 

If I am washing in the day, I wait until I have to leave my house to SCOTC
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It seems like lots of wavies have more trouble with 2nd or 3rd day hair but mine looks much better after day 1, and I can generally go 3 days between shampoos. Day 1 my hair does not clump so well - it can be stringy even with good clumping during the wash process. If I SOTC a lot, I lose definition or get frizz. If I SOTC less, then I’m crunchy. Everything seems to resolve on day 2 and day 3 looks good as well though with slightly less curl. All I do to refresh is scrunch with damp hands. 
    I’m a 2b with fine, low porosity, medium density, just-past-shoulder-length hair. I’ve been lurking for a while and this site has helped me immensely. My curls have gotten better and better as I follow CG methods.
    My wash day routine: lo-poo, deep condition, lots of hard hold gel in the shower, gently blot with t-shirt, plop with other side of tee, clip up curls for a while and diffuse in the clips, let down and rest curls, when fully dry SOTC with damp hands. Pineapple for sleeping. 
    I think my curls did better air drying, but due to a recent move to the  hiladelphia area, air drying isn’t something I can do with regularity. I use no sulfites except to clarify and I stay away from silicones. My hair doesn’t like protein. I have to balance the need for moisture with heavy ingredients that can weigh down hair. I am using drugstore products recommended on this site. I am experimenting with products and techniques for my new climate, but this day 1 issue seems to occur no matter what the routine or climate. I don’t yet know how to post a pic of I would do that. Sorry!

I experience the same as you. For some reason my 2nd day+ hair looks way better than 1st day hair. I’m a bonafied wavy. 
  • Ecampbell64Ecampbell64 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I do have a sense that letting my hair stay longer in the gel cast will help and I just bought a buff to try out. It is very hard to keep my hands out of my hair while drying - I will work harder on that. I will also try the no touch diffusing method recommended here. That also gives me the idea to try diffusing with a strainer. If nothing else, it will give my husband a good laugh. 
  • Kurai_SenKurai_Sen Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I have literally the same issue as you. The other thing I notice with my hair is that it looks better when I also put it up in a ponytail or a clip for a while. I generally remedy this by washing the night before and waiting till a cast has formed and then sleeping in the cast. My rough movement during the night SOTCs for me, and I just fluff and do a light refresh in the morning. Gel helps here to keep the clumps and reduce frizz exponentially.
    Animal obsessed wavy with a love for writing 

2B/2C Indian wavy, low-medium porosity, medium-high density, coarse hair
    Shampoo: WOW Miracle 10-in-1 Shampoo
    Conditioner: WOW Argan Oil Conditioner
    Gel: Arata Hair Gel
    DC/ Treatment: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    Clarifying Shampoo: Pantene Lively Clean

CG since May '18

After nearly two decades of neglect, CG finally helped me embrace my hair as a part and parcel of my identity
  • Ecampbell64Ecampbell64 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I think a couple of changes have been helping. 1) to diffuse right after washing when hair is very wet and 2) use a wide-tooth comb after rinsing out conditioner.  The diffusing seems to help curls form and hold better. The wide-tooth comb seems to help with clumping. This seems counter intuitive but is helping.
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think a couple of changes have been helping. 1) to diffuse right after washing when hair is very wet and 2) use a wide-tooth comb after rinsing out conditioner.  The diffusing seems to help curls form and hold better. The wide-tooth comb seems to help with clumping. This seems counter intuitive but is helping.
    I also find a wide tooth comb to help a lot because it helps ‘smooth’ and separate the hair for better clumping.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file