What did you do to your hair today? Week of October 16

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
Sorry, I'm a little late this week.

Sunday I did a gelatin protein treatment.  It's been ages since I did one of those.  I've been trying to not go overboard with the protein, but my hair just LOVES it.  My curls now last all day, and the next day too!  I'm also trying to be more patient with diffusing.  I usually do each section for 20 seconds.  I've extended it to a full minute per section.  I really hate just standing there doing nothing so it's hard for me.  But the results are pretty good!  It's made a definite improvement.  It just takes more time, which I'm not crazy about.

What's going on with your hair?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Normal wash and go. But since the weather is changing, it wasn't my typical response. Its a bit less clumped and a stranger curl pattern. Next week, I switch to winter products. I get to try Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to see how it works since ive been saving it for winter.
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had to start setting a timer when I diffuse, lol. Otherwise I can't hold still either. I have it set for 2 minutes, but I don't always make it that long when my hair is closer to dry, because it starts getting to warm. 

Otherwise for me, same routine. I think I need to do a pre-poo oil treatment, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to, lol. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have also made changes due to the changing weather.   I usually wash and style in the morning and let it air dry.  This week I've been washing and styling at night.  Once my hair starts to form a cast (or right before bed, whatever comes last), I put it up in a hair buff and sleep.  All I had to do the next morning was shake my hair out, let my roots dry a little more, then scrunch out the crunch!  I'm really happy with the results.  I prefer night showers so this will likely be my new all year routine! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited October 2018
    What is the hair buff made out of? I like the idea since I’ve seen you describe it elsewhere but all the ones I’ve seen are kind of scratchy dry polyester that for my hair would probably frizz it.
    edit: I’m sure it helps with volume too?
  • _rachel_rachel Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I tried a rice water treatment for the first time last night. My hair doesn't feel or look any different, but I'll use the second half of the batch in a few days and see what happens.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I am having a good hair week!  After using way more Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion than I normally would, I had great hair for 2 days. Then I was lazy today and didn't feel like washing or even wetting my hair so I just sprayed it with Coconut Restore Moisture and Shine Mist (mostly because I love the smell of it) and I have more happy hair today. Yes, it has dimethicone but that doesn't bother my hair when only used on occasion. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited October 2018
    BrittanyM said:
    What is the hair buff made out of? I like the idea since I’ve seen you describe it elsewhere but all the ones I’ve seen are kind of scratchy dry polyester that for my hair would probably frizz it.
    edit: I’m sure it helps with volume too?
    The one I've been using is made of 100% microfiber polyester.   I personally don't see a frizz difference when I use this compared to a satin bonnet.  And yes, it has been helping a lot with volume along with a little extra curl definition. The results for me are similar to what you are supposed to get from plopping. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    This is a test.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I'm having a not so great hair week. I did my regular wash and go, but this time I put some aloe on my hair before my other products and immediately felt a drying effect. I used fruit of the earth aloe. I know it's not pure aloe and has preservatives in it, but I'd used it before mixed in with other products/oils and didn't seem to have a problem with it. I knew I should have stopped right there and started over, but I continued on and my hair was soooo dry. I made it a couple of days before I couldn't stand the dryness, stiffness, and accompanying frizz and washed my hair again. Now after doing my regular wash and go with the same products I've been using for weeks, my hair feels moisturized and soft but I still have a lot of frizz. My hair doesn't seem to be clumping like it usually does. I have curl definition, my hair just looks super "fuzzy". I'm hoping that another shampoo/condition/deep condition session this weekend will bring things back to normal! 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @cnic216, straight aloe can have a drying effect because it's very acidic.  Try a deep conditioning treatment next wash day.  Hopefully your hair will recover quickly!
    Current products:
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got 12 inches cut off yesterday for starters!  Yay!  I'm attempting to use more moisture product as the weather is frosty now.  I'm also using less cream stylers and experimenting with serums and gels for hold.  Because of hormonal chaos, I've lost a ton of hair so I'm trying to fluff up what I have left.  I'm not so concerned with definition anymore as I am with fluffing to cover bald spots.  I'm looking on frizz much more favourably...
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Wow @Ondulee!  That's a lot of hair cut off!  How do you like the cut?
    Current products:
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love it!  It touches just the top of my shoulders now.  When it was so long, the length pulled pretty much all of my curl out.  It's so thin it doesn't have any self supporting structure anymore.  With it much shorter what hair i have, the curls have bounced back although they can't clump together much because of thin density.  I have my curls back but the are a bit stringy looking. Looks a million times better than before though!!  

My stylist recommended taking Silica for at least six months to see if I can bring back some growth.  So starting today I will try that, to make me feel better about it anyway.  

So far, I've gotten 3rd day hair but tomorrow will be wash day.  
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file